Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HOLIDAY Beamshot Competition Rules/Entries Thread! **ENTRIES CLOSED**

xoul

Re: HOLIDAY Beamshot Competition Rules/Entries Thread! **1 DAY WARNING**

As I won't be able to submit anything picture this :

I have an artificial LED/fibre optic mixed Christams tree. At the very ends of some strategic branches I was going to put very small mirrors angled up and back towards the centre of the tree. From above a spinning mirror forming a cone of light that follows the general conic shape of the tree. The green laser at the top of the tree aiming upwards at the spinning mirror. The branch end mirrors catch the smallest portions of the beam coming down and they reflect the faint beam up and in causing the light to draw the familiar jagged edges that you see in drawings of a Christmas type tree.
Not be forgotten, mixed in along the centre line of the tree aiming out along the tops of some of the branches are about 20 of the cheap <1mw red pointers shooting the beams outward. If the brightness is too much the red beams could be aimed at some of the branch end mirrors causing the beams to bounce upward in an almost upside down cone of light that terminates safely on the ceiling.
The fibre optic tree needles could be in mixed colors or the more impressive & natural white. (Kind of like glowing snow on the tips of the branches.)
A little smoky haze in the room and the laser light would almost be touchable.

But it just couldn't be done this year. Too many complications and money troubles occupying my time and mind.
Maybe next year, eh ?

But maybe tonight something cheap and easy just before deadline.

SO... BEAUTIFUL...
100828_340.jpg

^ hahahaha!

:beer:

Edit: Shorty that sounds great, and since a picture is worth a thousand words I'd love to see it :D

Last edited:

i have entered to win not just take part ;)

xoul

Wait a minute... silver lasers? What wavelength is that exactly? :thinking:

Entered. :eg:

Oops I mean closed ;)

Last edited:
So yea. This competition has taught me something: Taking beam shots is HARD!

I dont suppose there is a thread up for it?

PS: I would have entered had there been any beam showing in my photos...
I have a 1W 445nm. What am I doing wrong?

xoul

So yea. This competition has taught me something: Taking beam shots is HARD!

I dont suppose there is a thread up for it?

PS: I would have entered had there been any beam showing in my photos...
I have a 1W 445nm. What am I doing wrong?

Depending on your camera, you probably want to try messing with your exposure settings. If your beams aren't showing up, you might want to try increasing your exposure time (time the shutter stays open). If you're using a cam that doesn't have that feature, I would highly recommend one, as it really helps when taking pictures of light :)

Edit: Also, a fog machine helps tons.

Last edited:
Sorry about taking so long to get the pictures up guys. I should have them up for you by later today!

Depending on your camera, you probably want to try messing with your exposure settings. If your beams aren't showing up, you might want to try increasing your exposure time (time the shutter stays open). If you're using a cam that doesn't have that feature, I would highly recommend one, as it really helps when taking pictures of light :)

Edit: Also, a fog machine helps tons.

Also if your using a camera that doesn't allow you to adjust the exposure/shutter time it helps to try adjusting the ISO settings (on digital cameras)

#3 is awesome. I didn't realize that the laser is lighting up the fiber until I looked at it again.

Damn I missed the entry deadline, mostly because my time management isn't spot on but also because 'the holidays' are very busy when you have out of town families to visit each year. Despite
my missing out & seeing the few entries, I hope this competition keeps going because I'd love to participate the next time around. :beer: