Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HOLIDAY Beamshot Competition Rules/Entries Thread! **ENTRIES CLOSED**

Re: HOLIDAY Beamshot Competition Rules/Entries Thread! **<4 days remaining til deadli

Hey! So, I just got into this stuff, and this looks really fun, but I have a verry limited set of lasers available. Is it ok if I enter anyway? I would give more details, but that would remove the whole anonymous thing you guys have going.

Thanks!
Liam.

PS: Do I have to be the one to take the shot, or can I get my brother to hold the camera?

Lase

Re: HOLIDAY Beamshot Competition Rules/Entries Thread! **<4 days remaining til deadli

Hey! So, I just got into this stuff, and this looks really fun, but I have a verry limited set of lasers available. Is it ok if I enter anyway? I would give more details, but that would remove the whole anonymous thing you guys have going.

Thanks!
Liam.

PS: Do I have to be the one to take the shot, or can I get my brother to hold the camera?

As long as you follow the guidelines set out in the first post any entry will be accepted.

And no, you do not have to be the one taking the photo. Just as long as the image doesn't show dangerous activities with lasers:tsk:

Lase

Thanks! Ok, we will use goggles I promise! Next question:
Does it have to be recent? I have taken many photos over the years, and none of them are online. Does it have to be new photo, or can I use one of my old favorites?

Thanks!
-Liam.

Lascannon : It's rather wide open for interpretation. The idea, as posted before, is to get the members here involved in creative endeavors using their lasers. DO something, get a picture, send it in. It's that simple.
IF there is any problem with your entry you will hear something back. Otherwise, watch for the follow up posting for viewing the entries.
Have fun.

Lase

Thanks! Ok, we will use goggles I promise! Next question:
Does it have to be recent? I have taken many photos over the years, and none of them are online. Does it have to be new photo, or can I use one of my old favorites?

Thanks!
-Liam.

As long as it's not a picture that has been posted online before it should be fine to be a little old.

The idea is the instantanious 'WOW' effect of seeing a new great picture.

Lase

Ok! I will send the photo tonight.
Oh, on a side note, and this is probably a stupid question, how will you know it was my photo? If it is supposed to be anonymous...

Lase

Ok! I will send the photo tonight.
Oh, on a side note, and this is probably a stupid question, how will you know it was my photo? If it is supposed to be anonymous...

Include your LPF name in the email.

Only swimminsurfer256 will know who's photos are who's. To everyone else they will be anonymous.

Lase

xoul

Wow, I feel out of my league in terms of laser gear for this, especially after looking at the last entries, but I might come up with something. :)

EDIT: By the way, my wife asked me "What is the prize for this?" and I was like "Uhhh... good question", then i got to look and I didn't see anything specific about the prizes? Just curious....

Last edited:

I was waiting for the actual interest in this one before announcing a prize. It looks like there aren't going to be as many people entered into this competition so the prize may end up being just a 1st place prize of $20 or so!

Lase

This closes tomorrow yeah?

Can't wait to see what's been entered.

Love it if I'm the only entry though ^_^ Insta-win....

Lase

Re: HOLIDAY Beamshot Competition Rules/Entries Thread! **1 DAY WARNING**

It closes in 1 day and 23 hours. Still plenty o' time ;)

Honesly, where the prizes go... I for one think its worth far more to have people on the forum vote for your photo than to collect a prize.

Just to be honest, if I had managed to get an entry in and if I ever "win" anything there is little chance of me collecting the "prize". I would be doing it all for the exposure and for the honest criticism that voting gives you.

Now bring on those photos. Daddy needs a new screen background...
:D

Gah there's a day left & only 4 entries!?! I am disappointed, c'mon my fellow LPF'ers - grab those cameras & lasers and shoot a beam through a roll of wrapping paper or something! This isn't about winning any prizes, this is about sharing your creativity with the rest of us :D Admittedly I haven't submitted anything yet but I'm usually a last minute applicant + I've just woke out of a 2 week hibernation. I definitely plan on sending something in before the deadline, especially since andy_con has sent something that's probably massive killer supreme again! ;) Where's your holiday laser spirit? (this msg being sent with kind sarcasm btw) :beer::san::beer:

Last edited:

xoul

Gah there's a day left & only 4 entries!?! I am disappointed, c'mon my fellow LPF'ers - grab those cameras & lasers and shoot a beam through a roll of wrapping paper or something! This isn't about winning any prizes, this is about sharing your creativity with the rest of us :D Admittedly I haven't submitted anything yet but I'm usually a last minute applicant + I've just woke out of a 2 week hibernation. I definitely plan on sending something in before the deadline, especially since andy_con has sent something that's probably massive killer supreme again! ;) Where's your holiday laser spirit? (this msg being sent with kind sarcasm btw) :beer::san::beer:

I am definitely going to send one in when I get home. I already have a bunch of photos taken, I'm just going through to decide which one I like the most and clean it up.

As I won't be able to submit anything picture this :

I have an artificial LED/fibre optic mixed Christams tree. At the very ends of some strategic branches I was going to put very small mirrors angled up and back towards the centre of the tree. From above a spinning mirror forming a cone of light that follows the general conic shape of the tree. The green laser at the top of the tree aiming upwards at the spinning mirror. The branch end mirrors catch the smallest portions of the beam coming down and they reflect the faint beam up and in causing the light to draw the familiar jagged edges that you see in drawings of a Christmas type tree.
Not be forgotten, mixed in along the centre line of the tree aiming out along the tops of some of the branches are about 20 of the cheap <1mw red pointers shooting the beams outward. If the brightness is too much the red beams could be aimed at some of the branch end mirrors causing the beams to bounce upward in an almost upside down cone of light that terminates safely on the ceiling.
The fibre optic tree needles could be in mixed colors or the more impressive & natural white. (Kind of like glowing snow on the tips of the branches.)
A little smoky haze in the room and the laser light would almost be touchable.

But it just couldn't be done this year. Too many complications and money troubles occupying my time and mind.
Maybe next year, eh ?

But maybe tonight something cheap and easy just before deadline.

Last edited: