Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hightechdealz substandard diodes

Hi,
I have been repairing a Disco type laser unit, details are over at photonlexicon(Laserworld CS-400RGY repair, help please! - Photonlexicon)

I wanted the best diodes to repair my laser, and set about finding the long die open can ones detailed here....
redroundupod4.png

I found these advertised by Hightechdealz.com 650nm 20x DVD Burner Laser Diode [650nm SF-AW210] - $20.28 : High Tech DealZ, Simplifying the LASER Hobby!

It appears that Kendall Wyatt of Hightechdealz is a regular in these forums, so I figured he might reply to this thread.

I ordered 5 of these "long die open can diodes".

Just in case the picture disappears of his site!...
longopencandiode2copy.gif

I fitted 3 OK, and unwrapped the 4th and 5th to find they were both severely damaged...

4th
80917195.jpg

5th
84486793.jpg

10015489.jpg

The 4th didnt lase at all (I think that along with the damaged can, one of the gold contact appears to be damaged)

The 5th lased but the beam was 3 times as wide as it was high. Despite reseating the diode in the housing a few times, I couldnt improve on this, and the diode stopped lasing after 5 minutes when set at 140mA. I suspect that the can was distorted, and didnt mate with the housing to conduct heat away, and overheated, or that the die was physically damaged which lead to a rapid failure.

It was at this point I realised that all of the diodes were infact the inferior short die ones, and not the long die ones as advertised.

I emailed hightechdealz a few times, and got no reply. In the end I told paypal, asking for a partial refund. I still got no communication from hightechdealz, just a rejection to offer a refund or communicate with me. The response from paypal was that they cannot get involved in disputes when the seller sends out 'similar' replacements, or when the goods are faulty.

Even if the all the diodes were in good condition, if I had known these were the inferior short die diodes, I wouldnt have wasted the hours installing them. This has cost me $89.95, and about 5 hours, and I am left with lasers that cost me about $500 each working like lightweight cheaper units.

Kendall,
I ordered 5 Porshe 911s,
I got 5 VW beatles, 2 of which had clapped out engines

Are you there?

Last edited:

Kenom

Those pictured diodes are indeed short open can diodes.

jayrob

LOC:
longopencandiode2copy.gif

Notice the length of the die...

Short open can:

Short%20open%20can%20graph.jpg

You can see how the die is much shorter.

The short open can diodes are much less power than the LOC's...

I'm sure it was just an honest mistake, and he will fix it! :) (or maybe he did not even know there was a difference) Have you asked him before you posted this thread?

Last edited:

Kenom

I've circled the difference between a long open can and a short.
attachment.php

24397d1259113441-hightechdealz-substandard-diodes-10015489.jpg

Attachments

• longopencandiode2copy.jpg
    longopencandiode2copy.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,622
  • 10015489.jpg
    10015489.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,456
Hi,
Thanks guys for pointing out the missing bits of silcon and stuff that I paid for ;)

jayrob,
I had sent him a few emails, and given him chance to respond, before asking paypal to intervene, otherwise, I wouldn't have a go in public.
Re: Possibly not knowing the difference: That could be part of it, as he details a part number "Model: 650nm SF-AW210" for this red diode elsewhere on his site. I beleive the part number is for a 6x blueray diode. It was because I saw that picture of the LOC, along with him describing it as a LOC that I went ahead with the order. I have a degree in electronics, and lots of experience so am well versed, but appreciate most hobbiests dont go that far. It seems like he has a good reputation on here, so I'll wait and hope for something posted on here, or in my mail inbox from him...............

Last edited:
Jayrob,
I supect that you cut n pasted the wrong graph. This one shows the difference between long and short diodes...
opencanef5.png

This graph quite nicely illustrates that the LOCs can produce about 1.5 times the power of the short ones in the same size package.

I just ordered a PHR from hightechdealz a few days ago, I hope I don't get screwed like that. From what I could tell he does have a good reputation, which is why I ordered from him.

daguin

I just ordered a PHR from hightechdealz a few days ago, I hope I don't get screwed like that. From what I could tell he does have a good reputation, which is why I ordered from him.

He does have a good reputation. This is out of character.

Peace,
dave

jayrob

Jayrob,
I supect that you cut n pasted the wrong graph. This one shows the difference between long and short diodes...
opencanef5.png

This graph quite nicely illustrates that the LOCs can produce about 1.5 times the power of the short ones in the same size package.

I didn't post the wrong graph, however the one you found is a better one to use. Since it has a comparison of the LOC and the SOC diodes together in one graph...

Nice one!

Tabish

Hmm, don't know what to say...

Actually, this reminds me.

My first PHR (pre-extracted) was from HTD. It died at 120mA I believe :undecided:

I will stick with modwrex. :) Great prices and their sleds have ALWAYS worked.

Hmm, don't know what to say...

Actually, this reminds me.

My first PHR (pre-extracted) was from HTD. It died at 120mA I believe :undecided:

I will stick with modwrex. :) Great prices and their sleds have ALWAYS worked.

well 120mA is over driving them, so sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.