Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Higgs Boson Announcement!

Apologies for the double post, but I just got back from the announcement.

THE HIGGS BOSON HAS BEEN FOUND.

Well, at least something that fills the gap the Higgs is supposed to fill. Now we need to test the boson itself. However, the statistical likelihood that we found the Higgs and it wasn't random error is astonishing: 99.99995% chance that it was not random error.

I'm so happy!

Encap

Sounds good but have some doubts.

If the evidence holds up and the experiment can be successfully repeated--did they create a Higgs-like particle that doesn't ordinarily exist with that machine and there is no Higgs field or Higgs Boson or did they "find" a new particle?

Either way it means mostly a lot of money/work for physicists, I guess.

ped

Forgive my ignorance, but what does this "discovery" , mean to the man on the street?

Blord

These are fundamental science. It hasn't directly impact on the man on the street.
It helps the science to understand more about a theory. Maybe one day it lead us to flying saucers disregarding the gravity :)

OMHB just doesn't have the same ring as OMG. :D

Very interesting stuff though. Wish I better understood this level of physics though.

ped

Then why are some people like, getting really excited then?

Forgive my ignorance, but what does this "discovery" , mean to the man on the street?

This question sounds like the all too familiar "So what do you use it for?"

Discovery for the sake of understanding is good enough reason, I think.
But I'm with Yobresal... I wish I understood particle physics. :thinking:

Cool news!

Last edited:
@Encap - it actually was replicated... approximately 5 times =p There are three "decay modes" that the Higgs is known for, and there were two, entirely blind and separate experiments, that tested all three of them. The combined significance of all of the data gathered was 5 sigma.

But yes - it's simply for the sake of science. People are getting all excited because... well, science is exciting!

Pretty exciting to see new developments in physics. We'll have to see what they come up with as they keep going over the data.

Now all we have to do is figure out gravity, dark matter, and dark energy and BOOSH! Flying cars! :D

ped

But yes - it's simply for the sake of science. People are getting all excited because... well, science is exciting!

Cant argue with that....party time! :pop::gh::takeit::drunk:

Encap

"Aside from the fact that without the Higgs field, the cosmos as we know it would cease to function, the far more important application in a culture largely devoid of scientific education is weight loss. Fortunately, scientists at CERN have already found a way to turn this multi-billion-dollar experiment into a medical weight loss breakthrough, which is of course far more important than understanding the origins of the universe."

"The Higgs particle is responsible for all mass," explained CERN scientist Dr. Larry Chekov. "By stripping Higgs particles from a given human specimen, we can make human beings massless."

for entire explaination/article see:
Higgs boson discovery leads to FDA-approved 'mass reduction' weight loss therapy (satire)