Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hey all!

seoguy

Hey, all!

I got bitten by the laser bug recently (it's all eBay's fault! ;) ), although I have been interested in science and electronics all of my life. I have been lurking here, reading fast & furiously, and immersed myself in this fascinating topic the past few weeks (along with other great sites, such as Sam's Laser FAQ).

I find the idea of actually being able to make a battery-operated DIY handheld "burner" absolutely amazing!!! (If someone had told me about this two months ago, I would have thought they had been watching too many Star Trek re-runs! ::) )

I now have a small red+LED that runs off buttons (~5mw), also a red pen that arrived unfocused and unlabeled :question, but once focus was corrected, appears to be at least twice as bright at a distance (searching for how to make a homemade power meter to check is how I came across this forum!), and a 5mw greenie on it's way! (able to see a beam? - I can't wait!)

I am finding some of the "insider" terminology new for me (PHR-803/LPC-815? multimode? phase matching? cross-section for emission? critical angles? thermal lensing? host - isn't that where web sites reside?), so I may ask a newbie question or three, but you will find I am a quick study! ;)

Read, read, read, & read some more. Welcome to LPF. BTW, a must read for beginners is "SPYDERZ TIPS FOR BEGINNERS" Makes for excellent reading.

seoguy said:
Hey, all!

I got bitten by the laser bug recently (it's all eBay's fault! ;) ), although I have been interested in science and electronics all of my life.  I have been lurking here, reading fast & furiously, and immersed myself in this fascinating topic the past few weeks (along with other great sites, such as Sam's Laser FAQ).  

I find the idea of actually being able to make a battery-operated DIY handheld "burner" absolutely amazing!!! (If someone had told me about this two months ago, I would have thought they had been watching too many Star Trek re-runs! ::) )

I now have a small red+LED that runs off buttons (~5mw), also a red pen that arrived unfocused and unlabeled :question, but once focus was corrected, appears to be at least twice as bright at a distance (searching for how to make a homemade power meter to check is how I came across this forum!), and a 5mw greenie on it's way! (able to see a beam? - I can't wait!)

I am finding some of the "insider" terminology new for me (PHR-803/LPC-815? multimode? phase matching? cross-section for emission? critical angles? thermal lensing? host - isn't that where web sites reside?), so I may ask a newbie question or three, but you will find I am a quick study!  ;)

heh i don't know what half that crap means either.... "host" is what we build the laser into (usually some sort of flashlight we gutted)
phr-803t - this is the name of the sled inside the xbox 360 HD drive, the diode in the sled is used to make a violet colored laser.
LPC-815 is the sled found in the LG 20x dvd burner used to make a red burning laser.

Welcome to LPF I just stumbled upon this site too like 2 months ago and have sense built a violet laser with a PHR. My point is this is the best site to learn things about lasers, most all the members are cool as Hell too and will help you out with anything just ask!

seoguy

Thanks, iknitsteel!

Read, read, read, & read some more. Welcome to LPF. BTW, a must read for beginners is "SPYDERZ TIPS FOR BEGINNERS" Makes for excellent reading.

Thanks, phoenix! Are you talking about the "Pro Tips w/ Spyderz" about building a DIY, that is a sticky in the Tutorials section? Or something else?

Thanks, Mohrenberg! So basically,

host = fancy case?

BTW, I found yet another meaning for host - it also apparently means the material in a laser crystal that simply acts as a molecular support structure for the actual lasing stuff (such as the YAG in Nd:YAG, or the Aluminum Oxide in a ruby crystal, I think?)

phr-803t - this is the name of the sled inside the xbox 360 HD drive, the diode in the sled is used to make a violet colored laser.
LPC-815 is the sled found in the LG 20x dvd burner used to make a red burning laser.

OK, that's starting to make sense. I take it the phr-803t sled is different than the one shown in that great illustrated tutorial about dissecting a Blue-Ray by Leslie Wright & Samuel Goldwasser here -

(damn, can't link yet - the one on the fineartradiography site)

as that one is for the PS3, and the phr is for an XBOX? I think those were based on two different, competing DVD technologies, wasn't the Microsoft XBOX HD the one that lost? Is their any benefit to using one vs the other for making a DIY laser? Does the phr also use one of those funky 3-in-1 diodes? Does the phr have the same wealth of extra optics like the Blue-Ray sled appears to have?

On the LPC, is that the best thing for a burning red, or is it used mainly because of easy availability & low cost?

Thanks!

seoguy

Nooo Greenie!

Nooo Greenie!

Damn flaky China vendor! Have been waiting patiently for my new greenie to get here. Then over a week after he told me he shipped it already, he E-MAILs me to say his is backing-out of the eBay auction!!!

That is so not cool! :mad:

Morgan

Hi Seoguy,

Lurked for a while too. Good to get in on a thread ain't it?!
:)
M

seoguy

Well, I've got another greenie on it's way! (from a different, and hopefully more honest vendor? ::))

But now I've got to go through the waiting for a "slow boat from China", AGAIN.... argh!

Hopefully, once I get to see that pretty green beam, it will have been worth the wait! :)

Re: Nooo Greenie!

seoguy said:
Nooo Greenie!

Damn flaky China vendor!  Have been waiting patiently for my new greenie to get here.  Then over a week after he told me he shipped it already, he E-MAILs me to say his is backing-out of the eBay auction!!!

That is so not cool!  :mad:

If you would have checked their shipping policy to the USA you would
have seen that they will not ship lasers over 5mW to the USA...

You can get Green Lasers and Modules from o-like.... :cool:

http://www.o-like.com/

Jerry

D

Deleted member 8382

Ye lol use dealextreme or o-like.com, ebay sellers are 90% shit when it comes to lasers, epsecially with low power pointers.
As my signature says, dx30/50 + dilda is the perfect combo for a starter :D

D

Deleted member 8382

btw, phr-bluray-xbox diodes...etc it's all the same type of lasers, 405nm (violet).

seoguy

If you would have checked their shipping policy to the USA you would have seen that they will not ship lasers over 5mW to the USA...

This was for a 5mw greenie. The vendor claimed he had already shipped it, then sent me an E-MAIL over a week later saying he couldn't ship it, due to "bad quality of the product in the market". :-?

Even worse, he had to then list it w/eBay as "unpaid", as apparently there is no eBay button for sellers to say "I want to weasel out of a completed auction over a week ago because I was selling something I didn't have"! :eek:

Telling somebody you already shipped them their product, when you never even had it, let alone shipped it, is not cool! Neg'ing is too good for this guy, I will probably contact eBay's fraud dept.

I already have a greenie from another vendor on it's way. But I am seriously looking at getting a module f/o-like as my next step on the green part of the spectrum! ;)

Hallucynogenyc, as I mentioned in my reply in another thread, DX refused to sell the good stuff to the U.S.! :'(

phr-bluray-xbox diodes...etc it's all the same type of lasers, 405nm (violet).

BTW, I already have a violet in the works - I just need to get all the parts together! ;)

Re: Nooo Greenie!

seoguy said:
Nooo Greenie!

Damn flaky China vendor!  Have been waiting patiently for my new greenie to get here.  Then over a week after he told me he shipped it already, he E-MAILs me to say his is backing-out of the eBay auction!!!

That is so not cool!  :mad:
To be honest, you where probably better off. 5mW isn't that strong. If you want to see the beam well at night go with at least a 15mW