Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HELP ME! 505nm Build request!

These have pretty high Vf, so an X-Drive might be out of the question. If you look at the video that DTR did of these and the "480nm" at various currents and powers you may get an idea of what you'll need. My best guess is a boost driver will be best for these.

These have pretty high Vf, so an X-Drive might be out of the question. If you look at the video that DTR did of these and the "480nm" at various currents and powers you may get an idea of what you'll need. My best guess is a boost driver will be best for these.

Thanks paul. I spoke with EP and we got something worked out :D

-Alex

Thanks paul. I spoke with EP and we got something worked out :D

-Alex

Hey if it's going in a small Pen host don't forget you can ask for the smaller half size module back half, this gives you more room for your driver!

Hey if it's going in a small Pen host don't forget you can ask for the smaller half size module back half, this gives you more room for your driver!

It's actually going to go into a pointer by ElectricPlasma! He's going to make it for me, and then send it to me. It'll take 1x10440 battery. I still can't believe we have access to 505nm diodes for under $100, it's truly amazing and you bet I jumped to get one :)

-Alex

diachi

From what I've seen a flexdrive may be a stretch too, unless you run at a lower current. Max output on those is 5.5V IIRC. Two unprotected 10440s would work fine for a pen build with a buck driver though.

It's actually going to go into a pointer by ElectricPlasma! He's going to make it for me, and then send it to me. It'll take 1x10440 battery. I still can't believe we have access to 505nm diodes for under $100, it's truly amazing and you bet I jumped to get one :)

-Alex

You should have waited though Hap what if most are coming in at 508-510.
we already have 510. from DTRs test to JNRpops pic the colour didn't look that different to me but I'm a blue guy anyway, just my thoughts!

Last edited:
We all know Hap is just a little bit prone to spontaneous decisions :na:
I do look forward to seeing the end result from EP though. I may have to commission a build from him when I come into some more money myself.

And besides, didn't someone send one of these 505's off to CNI and get back a spectro reading of 503nm? I am also yet to see a camera that shows the subtle differences in wavelengths accurately without some serious hue correction. Either way, hopefully we have the results back from a few more from paul tomorrow.

I do look forward to seeing the end result from EP though. I may have to commission a build from him when I come into some more money myself.

And besides, didn't someone send one of these 505's off to CNI and get back a spectro reading of 503nm? I am also yet to see a camera that shows the subtle differences in wavelengths accurately without some serious hue correction. Either way, hopefully we have the results back from a few more from paul tomorrow.

Haha :tinfoil:

Even they are 508nm in the worst case scenario im sure I'll be able to see a difference between the 515nm pen I have coming in, hopefully :eek:

:D

-Alex

Yep and another was 506, it's hard to believe that buitifull colour diode DTR had spectroed at 500nm is only 3nm away from one of these new 505,s I just can't see the colour, My guess is Jordans diode was closer to 495nm but he did have it spectroed so I don't know!

Edit
Actually going back and watching DTRs testing again I do see a little hint of that 500nm colour which makes me want one of them now also!

Last edited:
I imagine it will be a very noticeable difference... I can see the difference in my two 520nm lasers if I look for it. Not a massive difference with those two but it is there and shining them through a grating confirms they are slightly different.
Just pulled them out and now that my laserlands pointer has been adjusted to put out 42mW, it is significantly more limey than my pen build listed in my sig. Not near 532nm limey but definately a few nm higher than my pen build is.

After seeing Jordan's pic of his 500nm one, it makes me want to bin 20 of these diodes and hope for some very low or sub 500nm ones. Need some more money first though :drool:

Last edited:

DTR

I was on the verge of passing out when I put the page up with testing. The X-drive was just a typo hold over as I just copy an existing page and make small changes to them since it is easier than building from scratch. The flexdrive is out on these goes over the max forward voltage. Right now just have a small batch of nano buck/boost left I can use with them. Only thing is with the ranges on them the minimum current that they can be set to is 275mA. Just have to see how they hold up there.

Anyone building a boost driver soon, what happened to Vladimir saying he might be building a boost version.

Rivem

I see you're already quickly rebuilding your collection Alex. :D

It's too bad we've been missing those chrome Laser66 hosts for a year. That's what I'd want to put one of these diodes in if I could build right now. I'm sure EP can really hook you up with something nice though.

These diodes seem to be running from 502nm up to 507nm at low current. I don't know yet how much they will shift with higher current. Lets hope you get a low WL one, Alex.

@ BadBoyBilly
If you like blue, you will love these "480nm" diodes. The are as blue as can be without a trace of violet in any of them. They seem to hold up pretty well with 250 mA to 300 mA, but the real test will come when they are in a build and used for many hours.

Last edited: