Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello. My name's mick and I'm a laserholic.

I'm 40-ish and I live in London. I've loved lasers ever since I knew what they were but my addiction proper started over 20 years ago with a small HeNe tube and power supply. My aunt, who lived in Washington DC, knew I loved lasers and once when I visited her she arranged for me to have dinner with a friend of hers because this friend sometimes used lasers in her art. That evening after it got dark we shone two of them across the Potomac from her balcony, and that was it -- I was completely and utterly hooked. She saw my dropped jaw and my awestruck expression, and decided on the spot to give me one of her lasers. I was totally bowled over.

From there it was, as they say, a slippery slope.

That HeNe died a while back but since then I've had loads of different lasers, some still in existence and some not. My interest has at times waxed and waned, but I've regularly come back to the damn things, and there are few things can make me go "WOAH!!!" quite so much as an intense pencil-thin beam of light in the night sky (I'd list some of them but they're mostly illegal, or you don't wanna know... or both).

I'm waiting on some kits and equipment (unfortunately for my credit card :whistle:) so if I haven't blinded myself I'll post some build info in the not too distant future. I'm midway through writing a how-to type thing on re-assembling an Optotronics RPL handheld. And I'm working (slowly) on a 7-colour build based on how sightfx made his awesome kit.

That's it, really. I've enjoyed reading loads of the stuff on the forums (including stickies :)) and I'll try to provide input as well as tap the awesome knowledge hereabouts. It's good to be among fellow addicts :D)

Cheers
Bruce (aka micksterbs... don't ask :))

hello, Mick, this is Applycooler, welcome to LPF.
Your story are very touch, wish to be friends with you! By the way, I'm a newb.

Morgan

Hey Mick! Welcome the LPF. You already know where things are it seems so I think we'll skip the read the this and that thread advice.

Always good to see the UKers! Where in London are you?

M
:)

I thought this was gonna be a Laserholics Anonymous thread, then I realised I already joined it when I subscribed to LPF :D

Welcome Mick :beer:

Thanks everyone. Loving this place. There's some serious knowledge going on around here!

Always good to see the UKers! Where in London are you?

M

New Malden, near Kingston... so only just worthy of being called "London", but it's easier for non-Brits to get their heads around :) We're 25 minutes south of Waterloo.

Cheers :beer:

I also started out with a HeNe, I guess those things really get one into lasers :)

Morgan

Thanks everyone. Loving this place. There's some serious knowledge going on around here!

New Malden, near Kingston... so only just worthy of being called "London", but it's easier for non-Brits to get their heads around :) We're 25 minutes south of Waterloo.

Cheers :beer:

Well, I should be in that area soon on laser related issues. I'll drop you a line nearer the time... If that's good with you? Sometimes it's good to actually meet other laserists in the flesh. Just to prove to yourself you're not alone!

M

Well, I should be in that area soon on laser related issues. I'll drop you a line nearer the time... If that's good with you? Sometimes it's good to actually meet other laserists in the flesh. Just to prove to yourself you're not alone!

M

Sounds good to me. Always up for a beer or two :D