Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

has your laser ever gotten you into trouble?

Has your laser ever gotten you into trouble?

• Yes

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • I've had a few close calls

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • Never! *halo*

Votes: 56 57.1%

• Total voters

ixfd64

Wow, I'm surprised that a lot of you would give up your laser just like that. Normally, I would never hand my laser over to anyone who is not a law enforcement officer. If someone has a problem with my laser, I will put it away or offer to leave, but I will never give it to them. If they threaten to call the police, then I will leave the place. They can call the cops if they want, but I will not surrender my property to someone who does not legally have confiscation powers. If someone actually tries to take my laser by force, then I will respond with force.

By the way, I really like the idea of having a "decoy" laser. The problem is, I don't have any junk that looks like a Spyder. :p

Last edited:

I have to agree i have never turned over any property to anyone.
Granted i know what happens to your stuff when an officer takes it, They keep it.
thats why i will not let any property go with out going down to the station with it.
That way they have to check it in and i know i will get it back.
To many times they say call this number to get your things back and you call and there is no record of them even taking any property they say they responded to the call but no information after that.
if it a 5$ laser set it on the ground and jump on it then hand it to them but if its something over 400$ go with it!

2 years ago i had just recieved a 50mw ledshoppe greenie. i just turned night time when i was in a sporting goods store. so as soon as stepped out i was playing with. no prob then. but on my way home i was shining it through my sun roof and a few seconds later a police helicopter was on me. no joke. he went "away" but was right back on me with his flood light. i was about a block from the mall so i kept driving the went into the parking structure. i was so nervouse. then i saw him leave to the other side of the structure and i went out the same exit i came in through. i got away. w00t w00t.

michael

Indeed it has :(
3 agents, 1 work visit, 2 home visits, and 1 lawyer later.... I no longer make lasers.

Matt, you've been through the worst of what could possibly happen to people like us.

I salute you!

Actually all-in-all I came out in one piece. Mostly thanks to the FDA. They could of slammed me hard and didn't. I think cooperation and compliance is the key.

Worst that ever happened to me was I was shining my 5mW Core around after taking some garbage to the dumpster by our building, and I went to check on the car, when a cop drove by very, very slowly. I stayed mostly calm, and started heading for the door, when he turned and drove down the road directly in front of my building, even slower. I managed to remain mostly calm as I opened the door and headed back upstairs...on the outside at least, on the inside I was sweating bullets, there are some cruel cops here that will do anything to screw with people.

daguin

My lasers have never gotten me into trouble. My lasers are incapable of independent action. They just sit in a drawer or on my desk until **I** pick them up to do something with them.

I can use my lasers to get myself into trouble, but my lasers cannot do anything to or for me.

Stop trying to blame the tool for the mechanic's ineptitude.

Peace,
dave

ixfd64

I thought about calling my thread "Have you ever gotten into trouble because of the way you used your laser?," but it seemed a little awkward. :p

daguin

I thought about calling my thread "Have you ever gotten into trouble because of the way you used your laser?," but it seemed a little awkward. :p

It is not a really big deal. Verbiage such as what is used here perpetuates the narcissistic attitude that everything is the fault of someone or something else. Personal responsibility and "ownership" of one's actions are on the wane.

Narcissism is one of the main "symptoms" of borderline personality disorder (you must have at least 5 of the 9 to be diagnosed). I try to squash it whenever possible.

The easy way out is rarely the best way out

Peace,
dave

Not here.

I don't take my lasers to public gatherings functions. Mainly because the authorities don't really discriminate between someone using a laser safely, and a kid with a pointer being a prankster/vandal/disruptive.

And when I do sky-point, (not when an aircraft is visible anywhere) even with my higher-powered greens that should be the most visible, I've had a friend shine them up, then walked a block away, and with all the light pollution you just really can't see the beam.

My lasers have never gotten me into trouble. My lasers are incapable of independent action. They just sit in a drawer or on my desk until **I** pick them up to do something with them.

I can use my lasers to get myself into trouble, but my lasers cannot do anything to or for me.

Stop trying to blame the tool for the mechanic's ineptitude.

Peace,
dave

Dave, how dare you point the blame where it rightfully belongs. What an awful misuse of common sense. Not to mention the US Dept. of No Accountability will be sending their men in black to haul you away..

Sometimes it really seems like real accountability is absolutely forbidden in today's world, replaced entirely by the blame game.

well there was potential trouble about half an hour ago. was outside my sisters house waiting for my mum to pick me up. was shining my 445 and a few others around. the 445 at 900mW is a proper solid, luminous beam lol, pretty impressive at night. anyway to the left and right of us I could hear doors being locked at the sight of laserbeams in the sky lol. As I was getting into the car someone was looking out the window at us. sheesh, locking your doors because of a laser beam. you'd think the real criminals would have better things to do than announce their presence with a costly 900mW blue laser beam lol.

A smart terrorist would spend their money on conventional bombs or a nice CO2 laser.
Even the united states government has the technology in place to target and kill a single human from space using a laser though as far as I know it hasn't been used as of yet.

ixfd64

I had a rather close call last night. It was the last day of our M.S. program in finance, and we had a party at the hotel. One of my classmates, whom I knew pretty well, wanted to try out my Spyder. He was well aware of the dangers of the laser as he acknowledged that it could "put someone's eye out." While he was playing with the Spyder, it suddenly turned itself off due to poor battery contact (this happens a lot with my replacement tail cap). He assumed that the laser was turned off, so he waved it around for a few seconds before it turned itself on again. It was a bit scary since there was one or two people in the line of fire.

As I mentioned in my first post, I stopped letting other people use my lasers (due to several safety incidents) unless I knew them pretty well. Nevertheless, this wasn't really a "lack of common sense" issue because he was careful not to point it at people while it was on. In any case, I'm going to have to remind people that a laser turning itself off does not mean that it is actually "off" unless it has actually been turned off using the switch.