Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Gaming pc on a budget?

If you want something a bit flashy: Link

A step up: Link

What I'm using: Link although I got mine as a combo, and it doesn't have USB 3.0.

Basically you need any mid tower case, that uses a standard size UPS... the more open places with mesh the better.

USB3.0 SuperSpeed is useless on the case if the board doesn't support the header for it. That board doesn't.

Also, any of those cases will do. Unlike the PSU, the Acer board is ATX form factor compliant.

Would anyone be kind enough to recommend a new tower case to swap everything into?

I also just noticed that the plug-ins on the back of the video card are not VGA.

I hate technology.

Pfft. Just use a DVI-to-VGA adapter. The GTX 260 supports VGA output over DVI. The adapter costs all of a few dollars.

Not a big deal.

I think the cards come with DVI-to-VGA adapters anyway. I've got a few sitting in a drawer here.

One thing I've learned over the years is to not scrimp on the computer case because it really sucks working in cramped shitty cases with poor airflow, crappy buttons, and sharp edges. Also get a good power supply. I think the one RyanElectro linked to is decent, and the efficiency rating is good too. Still, you might consider something at 600W or more, so you have more efficiency headroom. When those power supplies are stressed they make noise.

Finally, make sure you have enough fans in whatever case you get. The better cases will come with decent fans, but some cheaper ones do not.

I have a 550W for my GTX 260. And like Eudaimonium said it "runs like a boss!" :)

Which is why I still haven't upgraded to a GTX 460 or higher. It still works great for everything I use even things that require a lot out of the GFX card.

EDIT: It does get hot though, and for some reason with this card it does not automatically increase the fan speed. I have to manually turn up the speed in the NVIDIA control panel (performance) before using certain games depending on how much graphics detail and how much they push the card.

you can use msi afterburner or riva tuner based app, to make a fan profile for your 260, its a good card and if you can keep it from burning out, though long in the tooth, can handle any game coming out this year.

USB3.0 SuperSpeed is useless on the case if the board doesn't support the header for it. That board doesn't.

Also, any of those cases will do. Unlike the PSU, the Acer board is ATX form factor compliant.

Pfft. Just use a DVI-to-VGA adapter. The GTX 260 supports VGA output over DVI. The adapter costs all of a few dollars.

Not a big deal.

:beer: Already ordered it. I was worried that using one of those cheap adapters would screw up the resolution, as a lot do when you adapt one output to another. HDMI to VGA looked horrible when i tried to play my xbox on my computer monitor.

Anyways I think i'm set for now. I just still have to order the tower case by I think that's about it.
I guess I did end up spending $570 total....
The most amazing part is my wife hasn't even started bitching about it yet.

Last edited:
HDMI to VGA is digital to analog conversion. Theoretically VGA supports the resolutions we use, but in reality anytime you go from one to the other, you're going to see some loss in quality. Digital to digital converters though, you should see zero difference.

Being unmarried, and having skipped out on relationships at the first hint of bitching, can't comment on the other part:p

HDMI to VGA is digital to analog conversion. Theoretically VGA supports the resolutions we use, but in reality anytime you go from one to the other, you're going to see some loss in quality. Digital to digital converters though, you should see zero difference.

Being unmarried, and having skipped out on relationships at the first hint of bitching, can't comment on the other part:p

Wrong.

The adapter isn't responsible for the conversion.

The card outputs an analog signal across certain pins on the connector and these in turn are routed to the VGA port.

VGA performs poorly above 1600x1200, and it's an electrical limitation more than anything. Which'd be why it would've looked like arse on a 1080p HDMI TV.

D->A is done onboard the card via a RAMDAC and having used several GTX200s, the RAMDAC isn't terrible. It'd get you by.

And as for the resolution, you'll have to manually set it on the source device to match the resolution of the monitor. The adapter itself can't change the resolution -- you'll have to do it yourself.

Resolution also has nothing to do with D->A and the potential resulting signal degradation.

:beer: Already ordered it. I was worried that using one of those cheap adapters would screw up the resolution, as a lot do when you adapt one output to another. HDMI to VGA looked horrible when i tried to play my xbox on my computer monitor.

Video card DVI-VGA converters are usually pretty decent, and unless you're using a real high resolution (which I doubt, given you don't have a DVI connector), it won't be strained. I only had problems with blurry pixels because of crummy output capacitors on the video card itself back in the day. Nowadays they seem quite decent as they all support 1920x1200@60hz with the 165Mhz bandwidth the DVI link provides. It'll work up to 1600x1200@85hz on CRT monitors too.

Anyways I think i'm set for now. I just still have to order the tower case by I think that's about it.
I guess I did end up spending $570 total....
The most amazing part is my wife hasn't even started bitching about it yet.

$600 for a decent gaming computer--and by today's specs too--is really damn good. Congrats!

Last edited:
Wrong.

The adapter isn't responsible for the conversion.

The card outputs an analog signal across certain pins on the connector and these in turn are routed to the VGA port.

VGA performs poorly above 1600x1200, and it's an electrical limitation more than anything. Which'd be why it would've looked like arse on a 1080p HDMI TV.

D->A is done onboard the card via a RAMDAC and having used several GTX200s, the RAMDAC isn't terrible. It'd get you by.

And as for the resolution, you'll have to manually set it on the source device to match the resolution of the monitor. The adapter itself can't change the resolution -- you'll have to do it yourself.

Resolution also has nothing to do with D->A and the potential resulting signal degradation.

Pompous.

Which part exactly is wrong in what I said:thinking:

The HDMI to VGA being a digital to analog conversion?.... Nope.

That the resolutions we use, VGA supports? I've gone up to 1920x1080 with DVI to VGA conversion personally with absolutely no problems. So that's not it either.

Or the part about a digital to digital conversion, not producing any loss in quality? Maybe you're thinking that sound is lost since an HDMI to DVI would no longer carry sound? I doubt it.

Or are you talking about the loss in quality? This is really the only part of my statement up for debate, and depending on the specifics it is accurate, or irrelevant. Considering that Moh doesn't have a DVI/HDMI display, it's not likely to be relevant.

pc came today. This thing is VERY small.
about half the size of a regular tower, in ALL dimensions.

Thought i should have plenty of working room when i transfer it to the new tower case.

little baby computer.

notice the ethernet cord....it didn't even come with wifi :crackup:

Attachments

• tiny.jpg
    tiny.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Ok, either you're a giant, or that thing is freaking tiny!

Send it back... transferring it over will be bigger pain in the a$$ then building one from scratch.

why? shouldn't be that hard. Just the motherboard, HDD and dvd drive.

the PSU isn't going with it.

Everything fit nicely, except for the video card.

With the new case, the HDD slots extended all the way down, so I ended up having to use pliers and rolling the metal about 1 inch, in order for the power cords to plug into the graphics card.

Everything else worked out great. Playing D3 on max settings smoothly.

I still haven't got the front USB and sound ports hooked up to the motherboard, as I need to look up the pin out on my motherboard to find out where to plug them in.

Also got a 50ft HDMI, and an HDMI to DVI converter coming so I can play downloaded videos in the living room.

Last edited:
You still had to bend the metal, in the new case? Strange.

Good to hear that everything worked out though.

I'm putting off D3 until I can find the time to install an SSD, and reload windows, and everything else. Heard there were some major problems release day. Maybe we can duel in a couple of weeks :fightin:

Last edited:
Yeah the video card is just so massive. The ass end extends into the hdd slots. I think its around 10 inches long.