Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fun with a Ruby laser Rod [pic heavy]

I recently got a rather large 175mm x 10mm Brewster-cut Ruby Rod, so I thought I'd share it with you guys. I don't have a cavity set up, as I'm missing stuff i'd need to do it, but it makes a rather pretty color when simply being excited. For those who don't know...Ruby is the same as Sapphire, being an Aluminum oxide crystal structure, but is doped with Chromium (Cr) specifically which is what gives it the red color. this one is probably around .05% doped, making it a dark pink color. this makes it a bit easier to pump than the dark red 1% doped rods, as it allows a bit more light through itself. Ruby is a 3 stage laser, and has a very high threshold for lasing, as it is absorbent to its own wavelength (694nm). Typically Ti:Sapphire is pumped with a 532nm laser, and Ruby similarly is able to accept 532 as well as 405nm where its absorbtion is greatest, it however is also strongly absorbant at 694nm which it emits when excited, and a bit into the IR range as well. Ruby was the first laser demonstrated, pumped by a flashlamp. perhaps in time, I'll make one myself!

but enough with the chatter...We all know what you really came here for! :p
Pictures!

175mm from 'window' center to center....this thing is a beast! though the Cr is only doped in the center using the remaining empty sapphire ends as windows. possibly to allow for light balancing out the center (and allow repairs ?)
IMG_0240_zps2f5e270b.jpg

With a LED flash on:
IMG_0242_zpsb4a2d41f.jpg

Pumping with about half a watt of 532nm courtesy of my Hercules...Light her up!
IMG_0243_zpsf8a80f9b.jpg

closeup! The far red on the right is pretty close to the actual color!
IMG_0244_zps00744fe4.jpg

Pumping it with its own wavelength! 40mW of 690nm going through it! what a gorgeous color, actually comes across the camera decently too due to the lower intensity!
IMG_0245_zps1764d199.jpg

Excitation under a long Blacklight with a uranium marble which happens to just be hanging out up there :)
IMG_0248_zpscb845b03.jpg

Turn it on already geez :D
IMG_0249_zps318e6646.jpg

Another (better) closeup!
IMG_0250_zpscf39d635.jpg

end shot:
IMG_0251_zpse26f1d39.jpg

Thanks for looking :beer: I'll let you know if I ever get stuff to work on this further :)

Last edited:

IsaacT

Holy balls. That is awesome! I was expecting just some boring shots of the rod itself since you didn't have a cavity set up. The last thing I expected was to see the rod in an excited state.

+3 for overdelivering!

Well....... I will just let that sleeping doggie lie. :>)

Indeed. just to clarify it's not 'lasing' it's just 'excited' there isn't stimulated emission happening here in full, except perhaps a little bit at the core under the herc usage...but any gain is lost to to ruby long before it leaves the rod laterally in any significant amount. you need flashlamps to operate a ruby laser. End-pumping simply won't do it realistically. I hope I can obtain some mirrors someday to make a laser out of it.

Last edited:
Please do tell why is the ends of the rod is clear, I have only seen rods that are one color the entire length :thinking:

I'm not positive myself. I've usually only seen rods that are that way myself. when they are made in their boule its all one color, they generally just cut rods out of the boule and then polish it, (and coat it if wanted) then ship it out. Ti:Sapphire crystals are also similar in color, but a bit more dark pink colored than this. Sapphire/Ruby crystal (Al2O3) undoped is clear, and is a very strong effective window, just shy of diamond in strength. My guess is that while it is unlikely to scratch or burn, it would allow you to remove that damage, and grind down the rod without removing any of the Cr dopant, and thus not removing any theoretical power from the rod in the process. just shrink the cavity and boom its working again. That and it would allow you to mount the rod without covering any of the Cr, thus losing efficiency from un-pumped regions.

Last edited:
I'm excited !! Great rod and I hope you get it
to lase,,, That was my childhood intro to lasers.
HMike

Awesome! Glad you finally got your hands on one, I know you've been looking a little while :)

Nice ruby rod!!
I didn't know that they could be pumped with a DPSS @ (532nm)...

Great pics.

CW wave Ruby? I know that they do exists but their somewhat of a novelty item.

Good job!

Nice ruby rod!!
I didn't know that they could be pumped with a DPSS @ (532nm)...

Great pics.

CW wave Ruby? I know that they do exists but their somewhat of a novelty item.

Good job!

They absorb best at purple, green, and deep red/IR. Sapphire reacts similarly. Though you couldn't really do it with something this long. the sapphire at the lab north of my house pumps a short Ti:Sapphire using about 30W 532. that's its main pump wavelength for a tunable IR output. what i'm doing here is merely just to light up the rod so to speak.

Last edited:
Just for giggles, I decided to end pump it in a more non crappy way. found a way to capture the color better for you guys. I'm sure you won't mind for the DP enjoy! :pop:

IMG_0252_zpse41ab74a.jpg

IMG_0255_zpsdbd64dab.jpg

Always loved ruby lasers, so very Sci Fi looking and after all they were the first optical laser.
I just wish they weren't so damn expensive. Still damn cool.

Solid Medium Lasers
X Large 2111ct Ruby Laser Rod 14 5 inches Long Polished Ends 3 4 inch Diameter | eBay

There not that much, I just found 3 for around £90-£110/$151-$185 on ebay, I think there the right thing.
Ruby Laser Rod 75mm X 6mm | eBay
New Ruby rod for laser, 180 x 10 mm | eBay

OMG -- Put a couple mirrors on that !!!
Let us relive old science......
RUBY --- YESSSSSS
HMike

Last edited:
There not that much, I just found 3 for around £90-£110/$151-$185 on ebay, I think there the right thing.
New Ruby rod for laser, 180 x 10 mm | eBay

They're out of country rods, unchecked, and uncoated, that's why.... Ebay isn't the best place to look for these. The quality can be hit or miss, mostly miss in my experience. Getting a checked one that is coated is usually far more pricy.

OMG -- Put a couple mirrors on that !!!
Let us relive old science......
RUBY --- YESSSSSS
HMike

I will.... One day... One day...