Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: TANK007 Complete Build Kit

pHeneX

img0015jl.jpg

Got it today, thanks :)
Awesome quality also, well-made. I love it :drool:

So, I'm brand new here to LPF but have been reading for a while now. I'm interested in building a 445nm laser with an output of around 900mw. I had in mind something for a while but now that I see these awesome hosts and really neat heatsinks, I am wondering if the 445nm diode will work? And instead of the acrylic lens, I was wondering if I could get a glass lens made specifically for the 445nm wavelength installed? I think I'll end up getting one of these TANK007 hosts due to the Cu heatsink, looks like it'll take care of the diode inside, but the acrylic lens must go, anything above 500mw and they melt. :/ So, can you, Flaminpyro, help me out with this?

Thanks,
Waffs

Welcome to the forums, and just read, read, read. Everything you've asked has easy to find answers if you just search. As far as two of your questions; Glass lenses for 445 are available. Just search. The info is easy to find. And on the subject of heatsinks. Copper heatsinks can be made for pretty much any host, not just the Tank007 HC-128. They will just cost more. Though I am kind of partial to the HC-128 hosts above (since I have six of them. heh)

Thanks, yeah, I'm just wondering on lens module compatibility, like the 445nm lens module from AixiZ. I'm not sure how all of these parts fit together and whatnot. And I really like this host. It just looks so beastly. I think I'm going to order one and try stuff out.

Well the aixiz lenses fit in aixiz modules, so there's no problems there, and even the diode press fit heatsinks people make are usually tapped for aixiz lenses as well, since they're the most common.

680 mW of 405nm goodness- Thanks Flaminpyro!

I'm betting on the fact that many of you out there that have read through this thread and sort of drooled over the TANK007 kit offered by Flaminpyro. If this sounds like you, then Good News- your instincts were right on the money.

If you have not worked with Jeff before then you are also in for a real treat. I just met Jeff when I first inquired about the order and frankly Jeff has always been a pleasure to work with since day 1. Although I know Jeff probably gets emails left and right he took the time to answer my questions, help me make a couple of choices on which way to go and basically impressed me every step of the way.... until the laser came.

At that point impressed just wasn't a big enough word. I was thrilled! I've looked at the TANK007 before and liked a couple of key design features, mainly the side clicky and the tripod + internal threading for it. What I did not plan on is the immediate impression that Jeff had taken a decent flashlight as a host and turned it into something much more special than it could have ever been before. Not because it was a laser, but because it was THIS laser.... and this laser was nothing short of spectacular.

Everywhere I looked this laser showed that it had been made by someone who was not just cranking out lasers like doughnuts, this laser was carefully made and Jeff very obviously takes pride in his work. The precision that the heatsink was made to was quite impressive, especially since copper is hard to work with and it was still made to very exacting standards and fit like a hand in a glove- very tight and very exact. On the nose of this particular unit is Jeff's "New Copper Focusing Ring" and it's a little piece of genius. Due to the heavy copper construction is it actually able to pull (some) heat from the module like the heatsink does. It works great as a focus knob, no issues at all, however after you run the unit for a minute or so (*being ever mindful of your duty cycle) you notice something... heat. In this case heat is good because it means that more heat is being pulled from the module by a focusing ring that also does double duty as a large thermal mass. That means the diode stays cooler and lasts longer. On top of all that in my opinion it looks very sharp as well. Very Clever Jeff.

The build is done in basic bullet-proof fashion, very cleanly worked and wired throughout. And in my case it seems I was lucky enough to have Jeff get my diode too. I know full well that Jeff does not make diodes and efficiency is somewhat the luck of the draw with many diodes, especially the 12X 405nm ones. I also know that it gets harder to get top of the line efficiency with diodes if the build itself is not top-notch. Nothing to worry about here!

Get this-

680mW output while the diode is only drawing 480mA - that's amazing! :bowdown:

Focus is fast and easy with no toasty fingertips, literally one hand fast because I have no trouble holding the unit a bit farther into my hand and reaching up with my fingertips to adjust the focus ring. Along with the side clicky button this makes the laser a true one-hander to use. That's going to be very handy, so to speak...

One of the other questions I wanted to answer that some of you may have had is "just how big is a TANK007?". Now I have to admit that after seeing some of the pics in this thread I thought this host was a fair amount larger than it actually is. Part of that was the fact that my WL Arctic also uses a 18650 cell and it's a large laser- not something you can put in a pocket unless you are over 8 foot tall. In this regard the TANK007 is a very pleasant surprise, it's smaller and more portable than I thought it was.:D

That being said you still will not want to slip it into your pants pocket and carry it around, especially at this power, unless you are up for spontaneous laser circumcision in the near future. The side clicky makes it, for the most part, not a laser to carry in your jeans. However, due to the size it would be very possible to carry it in a large shirt or jacket pocket if you needed to.

So you might be saying at this point that this review is worthless without pictures- no worries, got you covered.

Here is the TANK007 next to a popular laser that many people are familiar with, the Arctic by WL. It's amazing both of these lasers are powered by the same 18650 cell-

TANK0074.jpg

Here is a shot showing Jeff's clean work and part of the inside of this precision build-

TANK0070.jpg

This is the TANK007 in my hand, not as large as I thought- and that's a good thing-

TANK0073.jpg

Here is a side view of it while parked on the tripod-

TANK0071.jpg

One of the things that I most appreciate about this laser is the "little things" that Jeff never overlooks, like teflon tape on the threads of the focus adapter. Here is a shot of the "business end" of the TANK007 and one of the main reasons that I purchased it- the massive copper heatsink. I knew I was going to be pushing some power with this build and I wanted something that would give me all of the things that I liked about this unit as a host + one more very important factor, a nice long duty cycle for running it. Jeff certainly delivers there as well. It is literally better than I hoped for.

Take a look-

TANK0075.jpg

And of course, in the end it's all about the beam... and once again Jeff delivers. A nice tight, easily focusable beam that is rock solid. I knew in order to do a review I would need a "money shot" of the laser. This is in a bathroom with a very small night light as the only other source of light in the room. No smoke, no mirrors and no good focus are what you should know about this shot-

TANK0076.jpg

So that's it, I hope this has answered questions that you may have about the TANK007 kit by Flaminpyro and the experience of working with Jeff as well. Ultimately I would rate both on a scale of 1-10 as a 10. Both Jeff's build and working with Jeff went way beyond my expectations and I was completely satisfied with the whole experience. I don't give 10's very often but this one is deserving of it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my (very long) review and thank you Jeff for what is now my favorite laser!!

IMPORTANT NOTE- 405 nm radiation is extremely hazardous to any living tissue, especially the eyes. It is VITAL that you use proper, approved safety goggles ANY time you turn this laser on. Not doing so is roughly as responsible as giving your teenager a bottle of Jack Daniels and the car keys, and it's every bit as stupid. Don't do it. Never point a laser like this at any living thing for any reason and never hand it to anyone that you would not hand a loaded gun to with confidence.

Mac

The neat thing about the HC-128's (Tank007 is the brand, not the model) Is that they're actually pretty good flashlights as well, when used for their original purpose. :D I ordered six of the hosts from china for my own laser projects, but actually ended up selling almost all of them as flashlights. Now i'm waiting on my next batch to come in.

Flaminpyro, I would like to order a Tank007 complete kit, need to know how much and shipping. Also will the Boost drive work in this build for a 1watt Blue diode with driver set to like 1.2ma...
Thanks
Kittamur

I think you mean 1.2A. 1.2mA isn't going to do much. :D

Would you even feel it?

But Yes Kittamur I got one coming that has a boost driver in it set to 1000mAh. It can be set higher but they do get hot really fast... the driver that is.

Last edited:
This is a great host for the BRD-205 or any 8X or 12X diode and the new 445 diode.
This is a very cool host with a tripod socket and a SIDE clickie not an end clicky which makes for very easy operation. it runs on a single 18650 cell for a long time between charges. what you see in the picture is what I'm quoating here as a kit. this can vary if you would like something different. aluminum heatsink, heatsink for green laser module, laser diodes, all will make the price vary.
So what's in the kit, a TANK007 host, a heavy Copper heatsink custom machined for the tighest fit in the host, a machined Aixiz module that fits the heatsink like a glove, a Dr. Lava V5 flex drive or micro boost drive, a + battery terminal, all this for $92.00 + shipping and 3% paypal fees, again prices can vary with different options, this kit is avab in a semi-completed form, and with the driver set.
Enjoy and thanks for looking !
2ilhpo9.jpg

a beam shot @ 159mW with acrillic lens
2zpif03.jpg

machining the copper heatsink from solid copper bar
29qnji9.jpg

almost finished heatsink
iz9iqv.jpg
How do I order this for a 445nm 1 watt diode?

cmak

I'm looking to a put a 12X in one of these soon. I have an old JayRob Micro-Chrome with a 6X and 405-G-1 inside (built/assembled by Dave). For reasons still mostly unknown, it never ended up working so I just abandoned the project after putting a great deal of time and money into it. The last time it was re-built, certain parts were glued together with a (I assume powerful) adhesive, to make it "the way you would receive a laser from China". It spontaneously stopped working in a way that makes me assume the diode, driver, or something inside is probably dead. Would I be able to send you this laser to see if anything can still be salvaged from it with relative ease (most importantly the glass lens) to be used in the T-007 build? It would certainly be cheaper than buying a new lens (unless they, too, have recently dropped in price by over 50% :D), and that way I would only be paying one person for all the parts+labor of the project (excluding the 12X diode). Thanks!

-Chris

This host looks just amazing.

is it possible to modify this build with a 445 blue diode?