Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Star Trek Phaser 'Hot' Option! Or, Individual Parts...

jayrob

:crackup:

Sounds like your really getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these Glenn!

I can tell you that one of the coolest things about the mod, is the safety switch with the 'armed indicator' light in the sound knob...

If you decide to get one, have me do that part of it. It's a little tricky to mount the safety switch and stuff. But I've done a lot of them, so I can get it perfect for you. :)

Hi,

I would like to purchase the aluminum emitter and copper heat sink. How much for these parts and the Hot Kit with everything? I have a 1.4watt diode and micro-driver ready for a host kit. Please email me the cost and how to pay for.

Thanks,

Ed

edsteele@hughes.net

Re: FS: Star Trek Phaser Heatsinks and EzFocus Adapter!

Jayrob

Have you ever considered a "Hot Kit" for a type 1&2 phaser, both fully operational with diodes and drivers?

Ed

jayrob

I really haven't looked into it too much no...

But I have seen the type 1 phasers. And they seem very limited on space. Although I'm sure it could be done...

Re: FS: Star Trek Phaser Parts! 'Hot' Option Available! Or, Individual Parts...

Hi Jayrob,

I just picked up another 1.5W 445nm diode to experment with. I am trying to learn the differences between the micro flexdrive verses the micro boost drive. They both appear to be DC to DC converters and the boost drive has a adjustable board mounted potentiometer. Does the Micro boost drive act like a buck boost increasing both the voltage and current to the output ?

What is the rule of thumb to calculate the drive specification and settings verses the Diode wattage?

For example my new 445nm diode is rated at 1500mw or 1.5watt, using ohms law would these equate to 1500ma? to drive the diode at spec wattage would I need (2) flexdrives set at 1000ma or only 1 set at 1500ma properly heatsinked?

Also I assume the input voltage can vary the output? Sorry about all the questions, I am trying to educate myself on how to optimize the maximum output for my diode without compromising the longevity of either the driver or diode.

Thanks,

Ed

jayrob

Re: FS: Star Trek Phaser Parts! 'Hot' Option Available! Or, Individual Parts...

Hi Jayrob,

I just picked up another 1.5W 445nm diode to experment with. I am trying to learn the differences between the micro flexdrive verses the micro boost drive. They both appear to be DC to DC converters and the boost drive has a adjustable board mounted potentiometer. Does the Micro boost drive act like a buck boost increasing both the voltage and current to the output ?

What is the rule of thumb to calculate the drive specification and settings verses the Diode wattage?

For example my new 445nm diode is rated at 1500mw or 1.5watt, using ohms law would these equate to 1500ma? to drive the diode at spec wattage would I need (2) flexdrives set at 1000ma or only 1 set at 1500ma properly heatsinked?

Also I assume the input voltage can vary the output? Sorry about all the questions, I am trying to educate myself on how to optimize the maximum output for my diode without compromising the longevity of either the driver or diode.

Thanks,

Ed

People are pushing the 445 diodes to 1.8 Amps. But that it really maxing them out.

I would recommend starting lower. The MicroBoost will be fine at 1075mA's for a 1 minute duty in most every case. (diode efficiency will vary)

The V5 FlexDrive can do 1.5 Amps with the driver heatsinked.

In either case, you need a quality battery that can handle the current. I recommend this one:
AW 18650 Protected 2900 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery

You've got some reading to do...

Output power will depend on diode efficiency. Also on lens choice. See this thread for lens comparisons with 445nm:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/445nm-lens-comparisons-51456.html

FlexDrives:

Both of the above mentioned drivers will use extra current to boost need diode voltage demand from a single Li-Ion battery. As long as the battery can handle the current draw.

FlexDrives are small, and require precise soldering skills...

First you need to set the current range. See diagrams in the documentation here:
http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/MicroFlexDrive_V5_manual.pdf

Then you can adjust the current.

The tiny pot is a 1 turn pot that can be damaged if turned too far in either direction.

You must use a test load to set the current. Here's a good write up on using a test load: (he shows a DDL driver, but it is the same procedure with a FlexDrive)
Laser driver - It can be done

Also, at the high current range, the adjustment is very touchy. And another thing, the test load will over heat at high current. So I recommend using a 1 second test, and then adjusting. (it’s trial and error this way, but you won’t fry your test load)

Setting the drivers can be easy. But it's something that gets easy only after you learn how to do it properly.

This is why I offer a 'Hot' option (driver included and installed with current set) for most of my kits...

Hi Jay,

Just received the phaser and installed the 1.5W diode and test fired it and it worked just fine. I burned holes in a old TV remote for a test subject. I want to commend you on the high quality and workmanship. I noticed how neat the wiring was dressed down and heat shrinked wire connections. I am Electrical - Instrumentation QA/QC engineer as well and notice details like that.
Also the high quality aluminum focusing emitter, heat sinks, Fiber Optics etc. Interesting solution to retrofit the battery holder with the solder buildup, good idea. I ended grinding down the plastic on my build to use the AW 14500mA protected batteries which are about 1/8” longer than standard AA’s. I actually like your holder better. I may have went that way as well if I would have known that the non-protected AW’s were the exact size as AA.

Thanks Again, next build will be the DPSS YAP Pulse laser, and auto-focus modifications. If I am successful with the autofocus, I will AutoCAD up a sketch and post it.
:wave::crackup::gun::beer:

jayrob

Hi Jay,

Just received the phaser and installed the 1.5W diode and test fired it and it worked just fine. I burned holes in a old TV remote for a test subject. I want to commend you on the high quality and workmanship. I noticed how neat the wiring was dressed down and heat shrinked wire connections. I am Electrical - Instrumentation QA/QC engineer as well and notice details like that.
Also the high quality aluminum focusing emitter, heat sinks, Fiber Optics etc. Interesting solution to retrofit the battery holder with the solder buildup, good idea. I ended grinding down the plastic on my build to use the AW 14500mA protected batteries which are about 1/8” longer than standard AA’s. I actually like your holder better. I may have went that way as well if I would have known that the non-protected AW’s were the exact size as AA.

Thanks Again, next build will be the DPSS YAP Pulse laser, and auto-focus modifications. If I am successful with the autofocus, I will AutoCAD up a sketch and post it.
:wave::crackup::gun::beer:

Really glad to see you like the build...

And thanks for posting back with your comments! :)

Hi Jay,

I've been reading everything I could find on this forum over the last few days, specifically regarding anything connected with your Star Trek Phaser 'Hot' Option, so I could ask a few (hopefully) intelligent questions. As soon as I put the $$ together, I'll be placing my order. :sold: I'm an intelligent newbie, so there are things I'm not yet familiar with when it comes to the practical aspects of building these.

First of all, do you know if the AixiZ modules that daguin offers with his 445nm diodes are compatible with your build? I'm assuming they're a standard size, but I don't know. I remember reading in one of your posts that the AixiZ modules needed to be sans the back barrel to fit the Phaser build. Do I basically have that correct?

Next, is the EzFocus adaptor something you absolutely need for practical purposes when you're dealing with high outputs, or is it just something that's nice to have? Does the collimation from the AixiZ module require tweaking? At the risk of branding myself a complete idiot, I like the look of the (drilled) stock tip in the green build, but I know that's a lot lower output than we're talking about here.

Finally, what is the highest practical power you can drive daguin's 445nm diodes to in this build? I'm assuming "energizer ultimate lithium" batteries in series. I'd love to get it to around 1W, but what kind of modifications would that require in terms of batteries, battery compartment, driver(s), heat sinks, etc?

Thanks,

Doug

jayrob

First I must mention that proper eye protection is needed:
http://oemlasersystems.com/product-...tion/uv-visible/arg-uv-blu-ray-argon-blue-ktp

I recommend getting the diode pre-installed into an AixiZ module with lead wires soldered on... (yes the heatsink is fit for an AixiZ module)

In that case, all you will have to do, is connect your diode leads to my driver leads.

In the first post, there is a section on '445'. Take a close look at it. It involves using 2 X 14500 Li-Ion batteries in parallel for a 1.5 Amp set up. (people are pushing them to 1.8 Amps and maybe even a little higher, but 1.5 Amps is plenty good. And also better for longevity - that said, nobody knows how long the diode will last at 1.5 Amps either)

Yes, highly recommended is the EzFocus adapter with a 445 build.

See this video:

Send me a private message for ordering the 'Hot' option kit! :) (I keep several mint condition phasers on hand)

Last edited:
First I must mention that proper eye protection is needed:
ARG - Blu Ray, Argon, Blue, KTP [NR-ARG-EN207] - $80.50

I recommend getting the diode pre-installed into an AixiZ module with lead wires soldered on... (yes the heatsink is fit for an AixiZ module)

In that case, all you will have to do, is connect your diode leads to my driver leads.

In the first post, there is a section on '445'. Take a close look at it. It involves using 2 X 14500 Li-Ion batteries in parallel for a 1.5 Amp set up. (people are pushing them to 1.8 Amps and maybe even a little higher, but 1.5 Amps is plenty good. And also better for longevity - that said, nobody knows how long the diode will last at 1.5 Amps either)

Yes, highly recommended is the EzFocus adapter with a 445 build.

See this video:

Send me a private message for ordering the 'Hot' option kit! :) (I keep several mint condition phasers on hand)
seems pretty sexy, but i think you dont mention the price for a reason :( :p