Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: SolarForce L2P Kit! - 18650 Host With Massive Heatsink...

jayrob

Also, check out my new Maglite 2 D Monster build kits with FlexModP3! (and others) Awesome!

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-large-maglite-monster-kits-flexmodp3-side-button-forward-clicky-57278.html

SolarForce Kit - This awesome 18650 host fits a huge heatsink that starts from a 2" long, 1 1/8" diameter piece of 6061 aluminum...

Proper eye protection needed: Just a warning. (In case you may be a beginner) Read up on proper eye protection...

AixiZ module: You will not use the back 'barrel' part of the AixiZ module. All that is needed with any decent heatsink, is the front 'business end' of the module.

Note: I do not sell complete lasers. My kits do not include laser diodes or laser modules. You must buy your own laser diode and/or green laser module to complete the assembly. (Most kits have a 'Hot' option for the driver installed and current set, which is most of the work)

For a 445 build, you can get your diode pre-installed into an AixiZ module with lead wires soldered on from daguin or DTR.

In that case, you will just connect your diode leads, to my driver leads... ('Hot' option kit)

This host will also work for rhd's 'Mosquito Module'. Specify this when ordering. See below...

Gnarly 445 build kit! :cool:

L2P%201.jpg

L2P%202.jpg

The cost of the host is very reasonable considering the quality of it...

I have several options shown below...

L2P%2020.jpg

Here's the black L2P host: (High quality HA-III anodized!)
Solar Force L2 Flashlight Host for 18650 - L2 Host HA III Black Finish

Same HA III quality finish also available in 'natural finish':
Solar Force L2 Flashlight Host for 18650 - L2 Host HA III Natural Finish

Recommended battery:
http://www.lighthound.com/AW-18650-Protected-3100-mAh-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery-_p_3954.html

This host is popular for Flashlight enthusiasts, and there are drop in modules for it. This kit does not alter the host in any way. (except to just sand the one edge to bare metal for a good contact to the heatsink as shown in the pictures)

In other words, it can still be used to change out 'drop in' modules and even other laser 'drop in' heatsink/diode/driver assemblies!

Stainless Steel Option:

For a few bucks more, you can get this awesome stainless steel host... :cool:

That tip is also a custom option...

1WG1.jpg

The pricing for the heatsink is based not only on material size, but the time it takes me to machine it. This one is a lot of work. (just like my Star Trek Phaser Cone Tipped EzFocus Adapter)

Also, I have to include a contact board to fit to the bottom...

This Kit has a massive heatsink that starts with a 2" long piece of 6061 aluminum 1 1/8" in diameter!

L2P%2010.jpg

L2P%204.jpg

V5 Thermal Glued Heatsink Design Option:

New heatsink design option!

If your sure that you will be using a V5 FlexDrive, and you want to thermal glue it into the heatsink, you can request this 'V5 Thermal Glued Design' heatsink when ordering my SolarForce kit... (same price)

L2P%20Thermal%201.jpg

L2P%20Thermal%202.jpg

L2P%20Thermal%203.jpg

You just need to specify when ordering if you want this heatsink design for your basic kit, or the 'Hot' option kit. (same price for the 'Hot' option kit as well)

'Hot' option: (specify heatsink design choice)

L2P%2012.jpg

L2P%206.jpg

EzFocus adapter:

L2P%207.jpg

L2P%208.jpg

L2P%2013.jpg

L2P%2014.jpg

Alternate option for a 'longer finish length':

If you would rather that the heatsink finishes like the pictures below, then a normal lens with AixiZ focus ring, Custom Focus Knob, or EzFocus adapter could sit as shown...

L2P%2016.jpg

L2P%2017.jpg

L2P%2018.jpg

Optional Custom EzFocus Bezel:

I can also fit the EzFocus disc, to the I.D. of the bezel, and glue it in place... ($15 dollar upgrade on top of the smooth EzFocus adapter - specify when ordering)

L2P custom EzFocus 2.jpg

L2P custom EzFocus 3.jpg

This custom EzFocus adapter is glued to the SolarForce bezel, so that the bezel, is the EzFocus adapter.

Since the bezel was also threaded, the threads have been machined down enough, so that the bezel can turn without catching any threads.

In a build like this, the final assembly will be a little 'trial and error' to adjust the position of the bezel/EzFocus adapter.

It’s a matter of adjusting the module position inside the heatsink. (1.5mm Hex wrench needed for the heatsink set screw)

First, assemble your laser, and thread the EzFocus/bezel/lens assembly into the module last. Focus the laser, and then just take note of the gap at focus. (where the bezel would meet the head of the host)

After taking note of the gap, you can then take out the EzFocus/bezel/lens assembly, and remove the head to expose the heatsink set screw. Then move your module position accordingly. Test again…

Note: Stainless Steel bezel shown. But this custom EzFocus/bezel modification can be done with the crenelated bezel as well…

I really like this kit! :cool:

L2P%2015.jpg

Same 'Type 2' finish also available in gold:
Solarforce L2 Host - L2 Body Head and Switch, all Tan Type 2 Anodized

It has a longer crown bezel, but I will fit the heatsink accordingly. (Stainless Steel longer bezel also available)

Cenobite9 got a heatsink from me for his gun metal host that he already had. Pictures shown in his post here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...0-host-massive-heatsink-53746.html#post786968

His heatsink is just a tad short, because he already had the host, and the heatsink is fit for a normal bezel.

Here is my fitted heatsink for this Gun Metal host with the crenelated bezel: (this bezel is also available in Stainless Steel)

L2P%2019.jpg

Fitting for rhd's 'Mosquito Module'... (Or DTR Module As Well)

This host is a nice fit for rhd's Mosquito Module...

It means just customizing the heatsink to be bored larger at the back end. (for the driver to fit) The front of the heatsink will be fit for the AixiZ module, with a set screw.

The heatsink will still come with the contact board, with lead wires ready. So you will order the Mosquito module 'with leads' style.

MM SolarForce.jpg

With the Mosquito Module build, you will use 2 X RCR123 batteries instead of an 18650. Battery position - Case negative. (negative end of batteries towards tail switch)

Just specify the heatsink style for Mosquito Module when ordering. Pricing is the same...

Options with the kit will be similar to my other kits...

If you want to do your own driver install, etc... You can get just the host and heatsink. (basic kit) Or if you already have a host, you can get the heatsink. Other options would still be available. Including the 'Hot' option... (driver installed and current set)

* SolarForce L2P Host with black bezel (or natural finish) - $36 (this covers the cost of the host with shipping and PayPal fees)
* Stainless Steel Host - $58
* Stainless Steel bezel - $15

Or if you already have the host, you can just order the options below!
* Heatsink with contact board - $55 (specify heatsink design choice)
* 'Hot' option (thermal glued) - $58 (let me know what current setting)
* EzFocus adapter - $19 (smooth) Add $5 dollars for knurled, or add $15 dollars for the Custom 'Bezel Focus' shown above (plus the cost of a custom bezel if not using the stock one)
* Custom Focus Knob - $15
* AixiZ 445 lens with AixiZ focus ring - $11
* 405-G-1 glass lens - $55
* 650-G-1 glass lens for red - $52
* AixiZ module - $5
* Shipping - PM for total (PayPal fees plus postage)
* Shipping Policy:
Shipping Policy

Just let me know what position you would like the heatsink or EzFocus adapter to finish at. (in relation to the bezel)

Hope you like it! :)

445 Lens options:

The 405-G-1 is the most power, but the AixiZ 445 lens has a better looking dot for this multimode 445 diode at 15% or 20% less power. See lens comparisons for 445 here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/445nm-a130-lens-comparisons-51456.html

Last edited:

rockz

This host is one of the best hosts in terms of build quality and consistancy. Over on CPF, many people use the Solarforce L2x as a cheap, but good, SureFire replacement. And the fact that it has HA-III anodation means scratches are almost non-existant. This host blows the DX hosts out of the water in terms of....well everything really.

Don't hesitate on this kit, it should be spectacular!

Last edited:
Another great kit ! Great job jay :)
This is perfect for 445 as you said. The name "Solarforce" sounds so powerful :D

FFnor

Id like to buy this heatsink + focusing knob, this is for 650 20x diode inside of aixiz module. :) My solarforce L2p arrived today hehe

daguin

I have now built one of these for someone. It is a GREAT host and kit! That heat sink is MASSIVE

Do recommend

Peace,
dave

FFnor

Thanks for new pics, theres also new contactboard right? Cool

jayrob

Yes I'm using the AMC7135 board with the components removed...

Then I just solder the wire to the side for your negative connection. (pressed in place between the board and the heatsink)

And also put a solder mound on the contact side because many 18650 batteries are flat topped...

Wow, check out that heat sink! Should really extend the life of the units built with that one.