Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Mini Green Kit! SCHWEET!

Thanks for the quick response. As embarrassed as I am to say this... I got this idea from kipkay.com. In the parts used or possible to use, he lists a DVD burner diode, a blue-ray diode, an Aixiz laser module, and a mag lite for a "host". I understand how to do his build, it's rather straight forward. I'm just wondering if doing anything like adding a heat sink, lens, or driver will improve the performance enough to make it worth my effort of learning how to put them in.

Could you just explain one thing to me please... what is nm? Is it how focused, and thus how powerful the laser is? For instance what is the difference between a "650nm 20x" diode and a "405nm 6x" or "405nm 8x" diode? I have other questions about current to diodes and what the 20x, 6x, and 8x mean and blah blah but I'll try not to be a pest and go start reading. I may end up buying one of your kits to start.

P.S. Is a driver a small integrated circuit that regulates the current and voltage to the laser? How about if I use the "GROOVE Driver from Dr Lava", 16x red burning laser diode, AixiZ module, and mag lite as a host. Would that all work?

If you need a mini-mag host, I've got one for pretty cheap with the tail clicky switch:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/some-non-laser-items-sale-43315.html

Would still need the heatsink and set screw, but Jay could probably sell you a heatsink and do the set screw for a small fee.

hey jayrob, on the flexdrive idea, what if we isolated the battery.

This way we make the case neutral and the power exchange is only between the flexdrive, the battery, and the diode.

You could even still use the clicky on the back if you isolated it from the case and ran a thin gage wire up a cut groove on the inside of the case up to the flex.

On an semirelated note, jayrob, this whole case positive thing has me concerned about our white lasers. Since the green, red, and blu are all connected to the sled and all actively heat sinked, do we run risk of hurting any or all of the diodes by not having them electically isolated from eachother? If not, have you tried running the green with a flex in your white build? I am considering it so i can get a constant output as i am noticing the color widely varies based on input voltage on the green.

jayrob

Hmmm... not a bad idea isolating the battery, except it would be hard to set it up because the tail switch must screw on. And that's the contact point to the host...

About the 7 color build, my set up does not have to have the green positive isolated from the other laser negatives, because I am using a separate supply and driver for each laser.

But sightfx has a solution for isolating the mounting for those who want to use a single supply for all lasers.

By the way, I just posted some great beam shots in the night sky to show how nice the beams look if you get the alignment and color blend just right! :) See here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/b...ng-adjustable-sled-mount-heatsinks-41942.html

jayrob

Yeah... mine is 62mW's steady. Still the one I reach for when going out and about though.

Just because it is so nice and small. Plus I really like the stainless steel finish!

I have been waiting and waiting for my DX 200mW module to get here so I can maybe try disconnecting the driver and making it all fit some how. But the canceled my first order, saying it was not legal for U.S. shipping. I ordered another because I know that they have shipped some to the U.S.

Still waiting...

I know as soon as I buy one of jays kits that would be it I would be hopelessly addicted to the quality and end up buying every type he sells lol

jayrob

:crackup: Ha ha!

Like Lay's potato chips...

You can't try just one! :D

jayrob

Update!

I finally got my DX 200mW module.

The module is under powered at about 105mW's, but still, it's a nice fit into this great stainless steel host!

Then I swapped out this DX module with another one that I had, so I have a nice 120mW module in this SS C3 host now! :D

Here's how...

MGK10.jpg

MGK11.jpg

MGK12.jpg

MGK13.jpg

MGK14.jpg

The red wire gets cut off, and the black wire gets cut short as well (just leave enough solder there to make contact to the battery negative), and the switch gets by-passed.

Pretty easy! Just make sure your DX module is the same size as shown in the pictures, and let me know when you order the kit so that I can drill the heatsink through at the front, and machine out an AixiZ focus ring for you.

No extra charge for this work if you want this kit! :)

Last edited:

IgorT

Had to come and see after reading your PM.. :yh:

So, one, no... Two questions...

1. What's the modules power? And how stable is it (by itself)?

2. Does extra heatsinking make it stay at a high power longer, or does it make it take longer to reach the high power?

I've seen both in the greens i converted, some severelly disliked heatsinking (had to remove it or they would stay at half the power!), others needed it badly, what's your experience with this? :thinking:

jayrob

For your second question, my personal experience with all cheap modules so far, has been to use good heatsinking for best results. It makes it much more stable. These modules seem to go right to their peak with-in 15 or 20 seconds.

I'm certainly no expert with these DPSS modules, just going off what I have found with o-like, and now DX modules.

In this picture:
MGK15.jpg

... you see a black cheap greenie that I got from DX a while back. It was sold as 200mW's from DX. When I got it, it was only about 70mW's, and I pot modded it to 120mW's. Stable too!

Notice that it is labeled at 75mW's. That's because it now contains my new DX 200mW module that I just got in the mail today.

It seems that getting these cheap modules is just a matter of... 'you may, or may not get a good one'. Just like with o-like having some nice over powered ones that you get once in a while.

Well, my new DX 200mW module was only 105mW's and not too stable. So I pot modded it until I found a nice stable spot. It is now nice and stable, but giving only 75mW's to 80mW's.

Now... long story long, I took the nice stable 120mW (pot moded) module out of the black host, and installed it into my Stainless Steel C3 (CR2 modified) host.

The module from the DX black laser was the same size module and exact same driver as the DX 200mW module that I got in the mail today.

Since I like the SS C3 host so much, I swapped out the modules...:D

Last edited:

IgorT

For your second question, my personal experience with all cheap modules so far, has been to use good heatsinking for best results. It makes it much more stable. These modules seem to go right to their peak with-in 15 or 20 seconds.

I'm asking, because i had this DX200 pen which i gutted, put into a massive aluminum (30mW Romisen greenie) host, added heatsinking, and then it went from 160mW (without heatsinking) to 80mW (with heatsinking) and slowly climbed, but never really peaked! :undecided:

It was "stable", yes, because heat dissipation prevented it from reaching it's peak! (I think some of the cheaper chinese manufacturers DEPEND on heat to get their DPSS laser to it's peak faster, even tho it then drops rapidly afterwards! If the ones you use are better than that, i need to test them!)

I then had to gradually remove bits of the heatsink until i got it to start at ~130mW and stay there! :crackup:

I just revived that one again last night, it was gathering dust for a year, cos i gave TheMonk one of my CNI pen drivers, while the other was lost (CNI makes AMAZING linear drivers, with a dropout of only 0.3V and very stable!)...

Last night i found the other CNI driver and revived the beasty, which looks EXACTLY like the upper laser in your photo below!

Was this also a "30"mW Romisen greenie before you replaced the module? :yh:
Or is it one of their higher power ones with similar looks:
MGK15.jpg

It seems that getting these cheap modules is just a matter of... 'you may, or may not get a good one'. Just like with o-like having some nice over powered ones that you get once in a while.

Yep, i had to go through SEVEN DX200 pens to get ONE that didn't mode-hop! Well rather i went through two myself, then i had to convince a DX customer support guy to go grab a box of them and test them them according to my instructions (by shining them onto a wall through a magnifying glass for a minute, pausing for 30s and again for a minute on the wall while watching for signs of modehopping! Even had to give him the SKU of the magnifying glass!)...
He said he had to go through SEVEN to find ONE that worked! :crackup:

But he did the job well, and i got THE PERFECT "200"mW DX Greenie pen, and in the massive 30mW Romisen body it is now doing 130 at 680mA.

However i know that these pens are set to 780mA by the factory, so i guess i should up the current? The heatsinking is more than enough now. I just hope the diode can survive it! :angel:

In any case, Jay...

I included one of my two 30mW Romisen greenie hosts in the package for you, as well as the DPSS module from a dead CNI greenie... The bottom of the module slides into the body, but the top doesn't slide into the head (the hole is made only for a thin plastic tube that holds the collimator lens).

I was hoping you could carefully grab the head in your lathe (in a way that doesn't damage the black anodizing?) and machine it, so that the top of the CNI module would go into it?

I have this FANTASTIC 150mW+ CNI pen, that goes as high as 174mW sometimes, but... You know - a pen offers little heatsinking... And i'm not a big duty cycle fan...
This 30mW Romisen host on the other hand, is all aluminum... And A LOT of it!

Well, i already removed the good CNI module from the pen, but it's a sensitive thing, so i included an identical dead one with the Romisen host for you to try to fit it in. If you get it in, my good CNI module will also fit!
I also made some photos to explain how i want it to go together (need to edit and send you an email)...

What i was hoping is, that you would machine a hole into the head from the inner side, in a way, that the dead CNI module would slide in somewhat snugly (for thermal contact), but not too tight (so it doesn't get stuck), and that when the head is screwed onto the body, it presses the module down into the body - this should create some badly needed heatsinking for this laser, and give me a tiny but powerful (but most importantly) STABLE greenie!

What do you think?

By now it's a whole list of things i'm ordering from you.... :angel:

P.S. I finally got that Brother P-Touch label printer! It's great, thanks for the tip! :yh:

jayrob

Glad you like the label printer! Did you try some of the black labels than print white lettering? Those look the best. (IMO)

About fitting the module. Sounds like a piece of cake Igor...

I'll get it fit just right for you.

About the black host in the picture. Yes, they had a 30mW, and 100mW, and a 200mW one, all in the exact same hosts. Nice little hosts! But a momentary side button set up, instead of a click on / click off switch.

Notice how much smaller the SS C3 host is! And I got the same module in there with a CR2 rechargeable! :D

Last edited:

IgorT

Glad you like the label printer! Did you try some of the black labels than print white lettering? Those look the best. (IMO)

Oh absolutelly! The white-on-black are what i wanted.. Too bad they include a black-on-white sample... But hey, i'm sure it'll come in handy, and i didn't have to waste the black tape while learning how to use the printer... :angel:

I know! I'll label host boxes with the white tape, and use the black for lasers!

The only thing i don't like is how it always comes out with too much empty tape before the text begins, while it cuts off much closer to the end of the text.. Or did i set something wrong (i think i messed with a Tab setting)? :thinking:

It's 26 feet of tape, so i shouldn't complain, besides, Glenn found it on a sale for me - Printer (w. sample tape) + White-on-Black tape for $24 total!

Our customs didn't want to believe the price at first, since the thing was so big, and to make matters worse, the sale was over and the price on the web page (they check web pages, yes!!!) suddenly high enough for them to charge custom fees and taxes! But i had the original invoice and all... :evil:

Of course they didn't notice, that Glenn cut the box open to hide a bunch of GGW diodes and other stuff worth much more than the printer itself inside! :D

About fitting the module. Sounds like a piece of cake Igor... I'll get it fit just right for you.

Great! Thank you Jay!

The CNI module will really come to life in this aluminum host, and run longer with a CR123 for a power source! (i'm using the original CNI driver, did i mention how amazing it was? :whistle:)

This is gonna be my favorite greenie as soon as i get the machined head back from you! :yh:

Just before i gutted it, it was starting to drop in power in the pen host, which worried me a little.. I hope the transplant didn't come too late... :undecided:

About the black host in the picture. Yes, they had a 30mW, and 100mW, and a 200mW one, all in the exact same hosts. Nice little hosts! But a momentary side button set up, instead of a click on / click off switch.

Hmm, you just gave me an idea!

There is a lot of room in the black Romisen greenie host under the driver - the driver has to be supported so as not to bend when you press the button (The manufacturer usually supports it with a small piece of foam - not even enough of it, which is silly, and most of these lasers break that way - from pressing the button!)...

I made a plastic holder for the driver, to keep it centered, and prevent putting pressure on diode pins. And it's hollow. I could rewire the momentary button to go through there first, and toggle a solid state switch which would then turn the driver ON and OFF! :yh:

Because i really do like to have a constant-ON option on a laser! Especially for photos.. :D

Notice how much smaller the SS C3 host is! And I got the same module in there with a CR2 rechargeable! :D

I did, and i like it!

See, I'd never think of machining the battery tube larger, to get a fatter battery in, and would get stuck with an 14270 instead... :yabbem:

I just weighed a CR2 and a 14250 (2/3 AA) and the CR2 has 12g, while the 2/3AA has 10.. So the CR2 must have a higher capacity.. Mine say 600mAh, altho in reality, a CR123 has that...

Did you ever think about making it focusable? I'd like to have a green with a beam like a red of a BluRay and adjustable focus!

I just don't know if it would work with the original expander lens, or if it doesn't diverge the beam enough for our usual lenses.... :thinking: