Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Hi-Power AR Lens Assy- 25-30% Inc. vs. Aixiz

When it was on the GGW 6X, there was a tight formation of consecutive bright dots and I didn't have any radiating spray at all around them.
That's how mine looks like (when I'm not wearing my glasses). Btw, the images above were "projected on to" a CD case 50cm from the laser...

I'll need to take a pic of them projected against a white wall from say, 5M away. Of course from 5M away it looks like a bright blue dot, but I will take the picture "close up" so that you can see it's the same pattern as seen on the CD case...

Traveller;

Your brass "no spring" lens assembly shipped out 6/6/09.

It has the widest aperture, of any lens assembly that fits in the Aixiz module.

I actually projected it on black paper, but did not see the rectangular pattern in your photo above.

I only saw a few slight circular segments.

I am very interested to see what you think of the beam pattern it delivers.

LarryDFW

Payment sent.
Please let me know when you can confirm.

Last edited:
RA;

Your machined "no spring" lens assembly was shipped today (6/6/09).

Please let us know what you think of the performance,
after you have played with it some in your 6X.

Is this going into a MISTERWILLING host ?

LarryDFW

Last edited:

sbdwag

Got my hi power lens from Larry and it just got dark. Very noticeable difference in my 230mw red. Ive noticed a much more visible beam even in twilight and it remains much thinner than before. Larry to me he tested mine and found a 25 percent in a red oc and a thirty percent improvement in a Blue-Ray. Than would put me up to around 290mw

Overall one very noticeable and impressive improvement to my red

sbdwag

Emc2

Hi Larry, unfortunately I did not receive the lens yesterday before leaving town. I will get it next Friday or Saturday. So tell me what was sent, was it just a lens only or the little brass threadded tube that holds the lens. I will need the brass threadded insert for the focusing cap, let me know if I orderd the correct item. If not then I will need to spend more money and buy the rest of the accessories.

-Thanks,

-Todd

Todd;

The lens assembly you decided on, is the standard Aixiz brass assembly with glass lenses.

It is a good value for use with Red Laser diodes.

It is not however,
the ideal lens assembly for a Blu-Ray diode.

For maximum power on BR diodes, you should use the Hi-Power lens assembly.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
I'll need to take a pic of them projected against a white wall from say, 5M away.
Well, this is more or less what it looks like to my eyes when wearing UV-coated AR optical glasses. If I take my glasses off then I see a circle of blue dots... The image is a cropped version of the photo taken 5M from the projection (white wall).

The image below has a 198mW with AixiZ Acrylic on the left and a 182mW with a 405-G-1 (236mW) on the right.

Now if I walk up to the wall, I can see both rectangles (the acrylic version being much smaller, but exactly the same shape, etc. Both have the distinct vertical line going through them. Just like they look when working on a CD jewel case 50cm from the laser(s).

p.s. to be fair, I pshoped away some of the reflections caused by the camera but not visible to my eyes, leaving a wysiwyg image.

Attachments

• IMG_1187_websm.jpg
    IMG_1187_websm.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

suiraM

Given the number of people who want to use their blu-rays for burning, I am surprised that more effort hasn't been invested into getting a diffraction limited spot out of one. With diffraction limited focusing optics, a 5mW red will light a match. Just imagine what 200-300mW of BR laser will do with focusing of similar quality (and also bear in mind that BR has a smaller minimum spot size than red, even without resorting to tricks like radially polarized beams, hyperbolic lenses and so forth).

I am surprised that more effort hasn't been invested into getting a diffraction limited spot out of one.
Say, why don't you get the ball rolling, then?

What are the costs associated with DO? Because if your suggestions aren't economically feasible, then maybe you'd be better off pitching them down over in optics... :whistle:

p.s. for us simple folk:

Diffractive optics
"Diffractive optics technology enables the production of DOE (Diffractive Optical Elements). The object is to shape laser beams in defined patterns and induce new optical functions to better meet specific industrial and research applications."

Given the number of people who want to use their blu-rays for burning, I am surprised that more effort hasn't been invested into getting a diffraction limited spot out of one. With diffraction limited focusing optics, a 5mW red will light a match. Just imagine what 200-300mW of BR laser will do with focusing of similar quality (and also bear in mind that BR has a smaller minimum spot size than red, even without resorting to tricks like radially polarized beams, hyperbolic lenses and so forth).

The lens I am using in the Hi-Power machined lens assemblies :

provides diffraction limited performance.

This is why it focuses to such a small size,
& burns materials so well.

Even my PHR diode quickly burns thru white paper when focused.

LarryDFW

Last edited:

suiraM

Say, why don't you get the ball rolling, then?

Larry is half way there. If he has 30 minutes to spare, he might get three quarters there.

The lens I am using in the Hi-Power machined lens assemblies provides diffraction limited performance.

Okay. Perhaps I should point out the difference between diffraction limited collimation and a diffraction limited spot. The former is certainly something the lens may be capable of. And a fine lens that makes it. The latter, however, is tricky. To get close to it, you can use two of the same lenses:

Put in one lens first, plano side facing the diode. Collimate.
Put in a second lens, convex side facing the diode, one focal length from the first lens.

That will not give you a diffraction limited spot (200nmØ), but it should get you a lot closer than a singlet. To improve further, correct the astigmatism with a biconcave (they're the cheapest way to get that kind of super-short negative focal length). For burning, you want a large beam to focus. For collimation, you want a tiny beam to point at infinity. This lens does the latter. It can do the former, but a pair is better.

Sorry if I was unclear about that.

The lens looks excellent for infinite conjugate use.

What are the price breaks on the bare lens?

Larry is half way there. If he has 30 minutes to spare, he might get three quarters there.

Put in one lens first, plano side facing the diode. Collimate.
Put in a second lens, convex side facing the diode, one focal length from the first lens.

That will not give you a diffraction limited spot (200nmØ), but it should get you a lot closer than a singlet. To improve further, correct the astigmatism with a biconcave (they're the cheapest way to get that kind of super-short negative focal length). For burning, you want a large beam to focus. For collimation, you want a tiny beam to point at infinity. This lens does the latter. It can do the former, but a pair is better.

The lens looks excellent for infinite conjugate use.

What are the price breaks on the bare lens?

PRICE is certainly an issue for laser diode experimenters !!

Two AR aspherical lenses would add about $35 to cost when you include mounting considerations (prices for multiple lenses @ 1st post).

Measured the focused beam size for my Blu-Ray w/ a microscope...
by checking the hole size after burning thru paper.

It measured 0.006" or less than 0.2 mm.

That seems like a well-focused spot for a single AR lens.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
That should be good enough considering it would be $35.00 less than the 2 lens method. I know it's good enough for my purposes. ;-) Thanks again Larry! I have 2 burning reds now. I like to be able to produce high current models for less money and LPC's are good for that.

millirad;

I have found a source for hi-power Red diodes.

I have to take the sleds apart, to see the actual type of diode,

but they look efficient @ 350 ma.

:takeit:

LarryDFW

Traveller; Your brass "no spring" lens assembly shipped out 6/6/09.

Hi Larry, just got the lens today (and yesterday was a Holiday in Austria) so we're looking at six days incl. holiday & weekend, not bad!!!

The assembly looks great - love the brass! I haven't had a chance to try it out (@office & my lasers are @home, rats...). I'll let you know in the next few how I get along with it. Thanks for the quick turnover & good packaging too :beer: