Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fog Machine

Awhile ago I got a great deal on a Bush SM650. I have never used one of these before. My understand is that it uses a mix of glycerin and distilled water. The directions specify that you should only use their brand and that you cannot use heavy fog juice.

I am sure there are guys who are really experience with this stuff. Please tell me what I can use to make fog that will be both heavy and persistent.

Another issue. The other day had nice drizzly weather. I set up a few lasers to try and take photos with a cell phone. I won't try that again. Any tips on how to photograph the beams.....and fog making for beams.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I think most of these fog machine manufacturers want you to use their own brand of fluid; I personally wouldn't worry too much about it though.
I bought a gallon of fluid where I got my fogger, and haven't used it all yet, and it's been a couple years.

The guy to ask around here would be Brucemir, he probably uses more of it than the rest of us put together! :D

Edit: I've found that when you use the fog machine, a little fog goes a long way, don't overdo it, it's a much better looking pic when you don't see obvious fog.

Last edited:
Hi Andrew and Bowtieguy,
Bowtieguy is 100% correct, all you need is a very little amount to illuminate the beams just enough where all you see is a uniform beam with no breaks in it. Too much fog and it will look really cool, but if you are trying to photograph it, the fog will itself will light up and probably overexpose the beam. My old fog machine died on me a month ago, but I used it at least twice a week for 5 years and I went thru maybe 4 quarts (1 gallon) total. If you are going to photograph, it is best to have a decent camera with access to manual settings. Go to Amazon and type in fog juice and you can pick out what suits your needs. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
I hear 'use FROGGY"S juice ONLY..
run water thru before storage
for the best 'wispy' look turn off all air movers...makes the best Liq Sky and tunnel with undiffused fog. for beams only diffused is fine.

The directions specify that you should only use their brand and that you cannot use heavy fog juice.

8uFzvpE.gif

Of course they do. Anything with glycerine and/or propylene glycol will work find.

I like the variations that froggys has.. I really like the hang time of bogfog.

Of course, I can always move to London and experience the real thing on a regular basis without fog machine or juice:eg::eg:

we have had London-like fog last 3 nights....I wish there were less lights out here!

Reactions: GSS

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey Len, I'll trade you some of your warm "London like" fog forsome of our cold, white, flakey type of "fog" that we've been way too much of around here lately! :D

Pman

Only got around here resides inbetween these ears.
Actually up in the Adirondacks and its 64 f right now at 12:23 PM! Almost all snow is gone. I think I only used my snowblower twice this year so far in Rochester.

I just opened the fogger I bought months ago last night, then realised it needs a special fluid. If there is a recipe using things I can easily find here in Anchorage, Alaska, a city of over 300,000, I'd like to know. I want to take photo's of the output of a pulse laser rangefinder at 905 nm before I leave for my new job over seas, can't wait for mail delivery, if ordered.

glycerine and H20....you cannot use the stuff from the faucet. You have to make your own using hydrogen and oxygen...
However, considering the fact that these might not be readily available, distilled water should do. 5 to 15 percent glycerine haze to fog. I have never done this yet. I just purchased fluid for mine....it too has not been used yet. However, I suspect that the manufacturers just want you to purchase their juice.

Yep, that is what I read...from several online sources....of course, it must be distilled...glycerine either from drug stores or Amazon

You are welcome....let me know how it works out...of course you know to clean the machine after you use it.