Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Flying laser (quadcopter + burning laser)

Ahoihoi
I made this, just to make sure I made this, so...its actually stupid,
and I learned alot about those drones. Could become a real problem one day.

rhd

Ahoihoi
I made this, just to make sure I made this, so...its actually stupid,
and I learned alot about those drones. Could become a real problem one day.

No kidding. I actually took mine apart fairly shortly after I made it, and put a big warning on the thread:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/airborne-laser-hobby-edition-87922.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E10b_PgXdE&hd=1

It's scary.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Fantastic AFZ, nice to see you back here again with another one of your fantastic projects! :beer:
Those could definitely pose a problem! I just finished watching a youtube video of a Russion guy who mounted a sub machine gun to his drone. :eek:

:gj: +rep!

Last edited:
Oh my gosh ... that is so crazy and fun too. I love it, but I don't think I'll be building one. I have enough trouble keeping a quad-copter flying without crashing.

Bob Diaz

Actually I thought of something "bigger" indeed, but not in the near future :p

Learning how to fly in your living room will teach you not to bounce into anything...

Neat! I'd be deathly afraid of something going wrong and it doing a blinding death-spiral down to the ground. Cool for show in a safe[ty glasses] environment, though :)

joeyss

Neat! I'd be deathly afraid of something going wrong and it doing a blinding death-spiral down to the ground. Cool for show in a safe[ty glasses] environment, though :)

This. What if the thing gets jammed and you loose control.

and it comes spinning down to the ground.

I really hope people don't try this in a outdoors area where they can blind someone who doesn't have goggles on. This could really give lasers a bad rep as the FAA is already concerned with drones alone.

I Pray we dont see people just buying green lasers to put on drones or RC copters

Teej

I think the best way to avoid a loss of control leading to a lasering (Or machine gunning) of passersby, etc, would be an interlock that requires radio signal sufficient to control the craft to allow power to the accessories....combined with a hard reset requirement.

That way, if the signal is too weak to maintain control, the interlock disables all accessories. If signal comes back, the accessories STILL will not come back on, because the operator has to perform a hard reset to get them to operate again.

That would avoid loss of control, and lasering everyone the second the control is regained, etc.

:D

Gabe

I've done something similar with a friend over, except with a MUCH weaker laser. We just strapped it onto my quadcopter and used the blue laser to try to draw on a giant glow board I made. Didn't work very well, but it was a great time.

If you could get the beam to lock onto your target even though the quade is jumping around, you might have something.

these are from Tx LPF member Charles( Digitallight)- his makes circles(R & G iirc) that grow smaller as he lands-nice nite pics--he is a retired commercial pilot-

Attachments

• Charles  and freinds with thier RC planes and quads.jpg
    Charles and freinds with thier RC planes and quads.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DIGITALIGHT HELI LEDed wow.png  stonefish heli- green laser.png  AT NIGHT.png
    DIGITALIGHT HELI LEDed wow.png stonefish heli- green laser.png AT NIGHT.png
    267.1 KB · Views: 115
  • DIGITALIGHT HELI LEDed wow.png
    DIGITALIGHT HELI LEDed wow.png
    432.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DIGITALIGHT HELI LEDed wow.png  stonefish heli- green laser.png  LANDING CIRCLES.png
    DIGITALIGHT HELI LEDed wow.png stonefish heli- green laser.png LANDING CIRCLES.png
    742.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited: