Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FLIR just got affordable

rhd

That would be great for observing heat dissipation patterns in hosts and drivers.

Any mention of price?

That is a bummer, and a deal breaker, but hopefully it's a sign of more hobby friendly FLIR's to come.

djQUAN

I just bought an E4 then this came out!

But IMO the E4 is more a tool and the Flir One more like a toy (a useful toy though) :)

ARG

Eh, seems like a bad idea to me. Smartphones go out of date so fast and my experience with portable apple products is that something will break after 1-2 years of use.
I would rather spend more and get a dedicated unit.

Some pointed out that the FLIR One has a very poor and unusable resolution of 60 × 80.

The FLIR E4 is also 60 × 80 but has a resolution hack that can make it 320×240, 16x the original resolution.

Some pointed out that the FLIR One has a very poor and unusable resolution of 60 × 80.

The FLIR E4 is also 60 × 80 but has a resolution hack that can make it 320×240, 16x the original resolution.

The firmware hack is what motivated me to buy one :)

FLIR0322.png

iPhone only is stupid-goofy, and for most of us, that would double or triple the cost already.
60x80 is pretty bad, but useable.
It'll be fixed focus, so using it on eletronics won't happen (unless you tape a ZnSe lens to the front). The E-series can be focused with a DIY plastic attachment
Temp range is 0-100C, while the E-series is -20-250C.

IF you've already got an iphone, and IF you just want to dick around, it's a decent price. Not good, but decent. You should really spend the $1k for the E-series if you want a professional instrument. Triple the temp range, 16x the resolution, and countless other improvements the E-series has to offer makes this iphone thing look like a toy.

That resolution is a product killer. Also, iPhones are not known for their battery capacity, and most FLIRs use high current TEC cooling to chill the sensor, so I wonder how much use time you could get out of this and the implications on the iphone's ports and (non changeable) battery area.

upaa27

Eh, seems like a bad idea to me. Smartphones go out of date so fast and my experience with portable apple products is that something will break after 1-2 years of use.
I would rather spend more and get a dedicated unit.

Have to agree. I am still using my Iphone 3gs as all my money is going to lasers but it can barely run. Everything is outdated.

Have to agree. I am still using my Iphone 3gs as all my money is going to lasers but it can barely run. Everything is outdated.

What network are you on? I had a 3GS and was pleasantly surprised when I found out that ATT had a promotion going on that let me upgrade to a 5 for $0. Just had to pay the activation fee (~$70). This was a year or two ago now.

That resolution is a product killer. Also, iPhones are not known for their battery capacity, and most FLIRs use high current TEC cooling to chill the sensor, so I wonder how much use time you could get out of this and the implications on the iphone's ports and (non changeable) battery area.

I'm pretty sure FLIRs have gone away from actively cooled sensors quite a while ago. The E series is powered from a single 18650 battery in a drill-style pack assembly. Current consumption is like 200-400mA IIRC at ~4vdc. Most of that power is probably used by the LCD CPU and FPGA.

iPhone > Any 'droid phone just based of the CPU capability alone.
They would have a hard time making one for android seeing as theres hundreds if not thousands of different android devices.

But regardless, I think its an interesting device. I would rather spend 350$ than 1000$ any day.