Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First crystal set.

Nice, this is like those m-green crysal sets.

Those B+W blue laser labbies would work pretty well with something like that, since they're already TEC cooled, have all the beam shaping and alignment done, and have a power supply + TEC setup (TEC for the crystals too). You really should have that diode TEC cooled.

thanks BB. that was the setup i meant. not sure what the 808 output is on these.....500mW?

Last edited:

benmwv

Kiz! I just did something awesome that you have to try.

I read a post recently that it said on sams laser faq you could pump a crystal set from a green pointer from a flash lamp and get green out. I've been looking for the post but I can't find it.

Anyways, I took a crystal set I had from a cheap module and held it up in front of the flash on my camera. Hit the shutter button and sure enough I saw a green dot on the wall! It's best to cover the area you don't need with alu foil so the flash doesn't wash out the laser pulse. You have to try this. It is great. I'm thinking of taking a few flash tubes from disposable cameras and making a circuit to flash them one at a time so there is almost constant laser output.

There was also another thread about using concentrated sunlight to do the same thing. You might want to filter out some of the heat wavelengths though, so it doesn't overheat your crystal.

That sounds neet I think I read that on Sam's page too but I never tried it. I am sort of in limbo now waiting on goggles and I need to have some mounts made. I missed out on that B+W assembly and cant seem to find another. I was going to add them to my FPyro order but Hmm He was too quick I allready recieved it.

I also have been looking to lenses and stuff. Do you guy's think that these would help out for fixing the beam after the crystals?
High Power Laser Diode Glass Collimator Lens Optics 5W Green 2W Blue UV Lot of 2 | eBay

Well recieved some IR filters today from T-warren nice packaging I may add.. But I also heard that my new goggles wont go out for a couple weeks. Apparently there made to order. 180$ later... So this is on hold for a while I may try to see what amount of green is actually coming out the end of the crystals by filtering the IR but I am on hold for a while on everything else untill that B+W shows up and my goggles..

Other thaughts were dual 2.5A x-drives to get my 5A for the c-mount but I am not sure if they can do the case+ build.. I need to add tec to the handheld so what will I use for a driver on that. It would be nice to have temp control but it all has to fit in. If any of you have seen the new RGB build in progress http://laserpointerforums.com/f40/rgb-hand-held-laser-77311-5.html#post1128355 here... A host like this with some modifications for a fan and tec out the bottom of the head would be a dream... But anyway I will post some pics as things come in I am too tired made Parkcafe Sushi today for a catering for 100 ppl... I am tired... Was a big change from flipping steaks and burgers...

Last edited:

ARG

IIRC lazereer can make 5A versions of his x-drive (if you need to cut down on driver area)

I thaught it only hit 4.5A... and not sure again about the case+ part at all... will be my first case+ build to date...

And Ben the flash zenon strobe I think is what excited our first ruby laser crystals... So I can see other flashes like the cams exciting the crystals on these too.. I just want to get these into a heatsink and figure out how to get it all into a handheld..

Last edited:

ARG

I thaught it only hit 4.5A... and not sure again about the case+ part at all... will be my first case+ build to date...

And Ben the flash zenon strobe I think is what excited our first ruby laser crystals... So I can see other flashes like the cams exciting the crystals on these too.. I just want to get these into a heatsink and figure out how to get it all into a handheld..

My bad, you're right. Only 4.5A.

benmwv

The max output depends a lot on input and output voltage. It will be capable of more current to this IR diode than a 445 diode. The only problem I see is whether the set resistors can handle that much current.

I found what lasereer wrote to me...

Also as a Side Note the X-Drive can do 4A and can be palleled to run LEDs too. heck even SST-90 LEDs or Phlatlight LEDs if you dont mind running them at ~8A instead of 9A.

So a couple paralelled will get me the 5A without too much excess heat. Yes this diode runs 5W at 5.36A 1.94V according to the spec sheet.

benmwv

Yeah, but that is talking about LEDs which have higher Vf. Some quick math here. The x-drive can run a 445 diode at 3A from two cells right? 4.5v * 3A = 13.5W total power out. So at least capable of 13.5W / 2v = 6.75A output to your IR diode from two cells. So technically one should be capable, as long as other parts on the driver can handle the current. You will have to ask him to be sure.

The x-drive I have tested was a 1450ma and the nice thing about it was that it seemed to put out very close to 1450ma at a bunch of different voltages. I did vary a bit but it was close. I still think he told me somewhere that it wont work right for a case+ build though but I havent found it yet.. I hope he took a vacation after the GB... Thanks for jumping in ben but yes we were talking about some LED's and LD's at the time but most of them take a little more current not so much V there closer to this diode than the 445's. we were more talking about LD's but then my PT's cam into play and he mentioned that

Wholly crap!!! my goggles cost another 80$ in brokerage fees and taxes duties!
so a whopping 225$ ish... also got a B&W 471 from cheechmagic! and a couple IR filters from twarren. So hopefully I will have more going in the next week or so.. I really want to check out the diode more than anythin...

Last edited:
Brokerage fees, taxes, duty where do you live north Korea :crackup:

Wholly crap!!! my goggles cost another 80$ in brokerage fees and taxes duties!
so a whopping 225$ ish... also got a B&W 471 from cheechmagic! and a couple IR filters from twarren. So hopefully I will have more going in the next week or so.. I really want to check out the diode more than anythin...

if you're still looking for 3A+ driver just check one of my first threads here at LPF:

"The real high power and full range DIY laser diode driver"

If the link doesn't work for you just search "The real high power and full range DIY laser diode driver". I'm using this kind of simple DIY driver for all of my diodes (low power red, 1W+ 445nm, 3W 808) and TECs.

In combination with a DAC (e.g. MCP4922) you can even build your own microcontroller to drive the diode and regulate temp etc.