Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

fireworks collection for the 4th

I have 70% nitric acid and 93% sulfuric acid and glycerine already, it would only be a matter of purifying the acids to 98% before I could actually make the nitroglycerine.
-Mark
It isn't necessary to purify those acids any more than they already are for explosive synthesis IIRC.

RDX is simply nitrated hexamine. Hexamine can be obtained through your local camping supply store as solid fuel tablets; "Esbit" tablets work best.

As for nitromethane, go to a local drag strip that races funny cars. If they ask, tell them you're brewing your own RC fuel. Be sure to ask for the pure nitro, majority of the time it is blended with methanol...

As for the acid purity, weaker acids will work but the synthesis will be slower. What you are using should be okay if you're willing to wait...

Last edited:
Fireworks displays are beautiful and impressive, but they're's really something about setting off your own, ESPECIALLY if you made them yourself.

-Mark

I agree whole heartedly there is nothing better than watching something you have spent many, many, many hours making function like it is supposed to, for 12 seconds :crackup::crackup::crackup: no Kidding It's the best feeling in the world right next to hearing 100,000 people yelling and shouting after you set off some one else's 40,000. dollars worth of fireworks, but the very best charge I ever got was the day my son was born !!!!

Peace All Have a Happy and SAFE 4th Pyro... :eg:

I agree whole heartedly there is nothing better than watching something you have spent many, many, many hours making function like it is supposed to, for 12 seconds :crackup::crackup::crackup: no Kidding It's the best feeling in the world right next to hearing 100,000 people yelling and shouting after you set off some one else's 40,000. dollars worth of fireworks, but the very best charge I ever got was the day my son was born !!!!

Peace All Have a Happy and SAFE 4th Pyro... :eg:

haha a true pyro you are!:D

Nitrocellulose questions.

I know that ping pong balls are made of the dinitrate, which burns slowly, and I think gun cotton is made of the trinitrate, which supposedly deflagrates when dry.

But what about hexanitrate? I have heard that it is more explosive than TNT. Is there any way to make this from the less nitrated forms? Also, I have some 70% nitric acid, how can I make cellulose hexanitrate from this? I also have 93% sulfuric acid if this is necessary for the process. Tutorials I have read are unclear on the distinctions between trinitrate and hexanitrate.

EDIT: I've seen one source refer to ping pong balls as being made from tetranitrate...? That would make gun cotton hexanitrate, so are the "trinitrate" and "hexanitrate" really the same thing? (Polymerization)

-Mark

Last edited:
Two words Sparkler bomb

Man it's amazing how much bang you can get out of those suckers!

Here's my pyro inventory:

-Potassium nitrate
-Potassium perchlorate
-Magnesium powder
-German dark aluminum powder
-Barium carbonate
-Strontium carbonate
-Iron oxide (black)
-Gun cotton
-Nitrocellulose lacquer
-Sulfur
-Charcoal
-Hopefully some black powder
-Obvious things like sugar, acetone, salt, epsom salt, etc.

I can also obtain barium nitrate and PVC.

Anybody have any good ideas for creations?

-Mark

Last edited:
picolo petes give a good bang for your buck if you know what to do with them...
:D

My friend had a Picolo Pete and Did what you're thinking of Elitesniper, Except the fuse was short! Throw it quick!

rkcstr

Fireworks I bought:
photo-7.jpg

Couple firecrackers I made (smaller=~3g, bigger=~20g):
IMG_0419.jpg

Patch of grass where one of the smaller ones landed:
IMG_0423.jpg

rkcstr

Bottle rockets? :crackup:

I have mortars, who needs bottle rockets? I also have some missles that are pretty nice and are great for modding. I do have some old bottle rockets from past years somewhere around here, though.

This is making me so sad....The 4th is one of my favs...just for the fireworks and I simply don't have the money for anything this year. :(

This is making me so sad....The 4th is one of my favs...just for the fireworks and I simply don't have the money for anything this year. :(

KNO3 and sugar is cheap, one of my favorites...

Seriously, look into buying some stump remover. Potassium nitrate is cheap as hell, and you can make some GREAT fireworks from it.

-Mark