Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Finally... I own a 2W 577nm!

Congratulations on your newest purchase Zach. I am surprised you can photograph this without it looking green, though. My 574nm laser looks green with every camera I have, but Curtis Oliver photo-shopped it yellow for me when I posted it to my thread on it.

More pics to come this weekend. On the list:
- spot on the clouds
- long distance balloon pop
- match light
- mix with 445nm (I don't think I can do this since I'm color correcting to yellow, but I'll try)

I had a 36mw 575nm I could see on a tree trunk in daylight from 1/4 mile. The beam was visible as well. Maybe it was a slightly foggy summer day.
I'd have to bet it goes down to fog and the smaller beam diameter, unfortunately not something I can control... I would need to introduce fog to be able to capture it:

Congratulations on your newest purchase Zach. I am surprised you can photograph this without it looking green, though. My 574nm laser looks green with every camera I have, but Curtis Oliver photo-shopped it yellow for me when I posted it to my thread on it.
Yeah my camera sees this as it appears in the photos in this post - starting to approach yellow but still green - everything else has been color color corrected as mentioned in the OP using the same method I detailed here.

Mix it with a couple of watts of 445nm and post a picture of the resulting white
Double post, but worth replying to individually on this. First off, no goggles exist to my knowledge which cover both of these wavelengths, so I'm actually just going to stick with lower power on this so I can actually keep my vision. Forgive me lol. I am not locked down to running the 577nm at full blast, so instead I tried to tune its power so I could match it to full power on some of my 1-200mW blues.

Tried it first with my new 100mW 457nm head which I should probably get around to making a thread on, but it's on the backburner since diodes sit around that wavelength... Regardless, fired it up and was surprised to see that I could not tune it to white as there was too much magenta in it. Don't get me wrong, it was mostly white, but discolored enough to be worth writing about. Then that got me thinking, color gamut chart:
1653438391335.png

If you draw a line from 457nm to 577nm, it stays below white which explains the magenta color. However, a more common DPSS blue - 473nm - creates a line that almost perfectly intersects with white. When mixing 473nm instead, I was able to produce a visually pure white. Next challenge: capturing it on camera. I may need to get a CYMK sensor for this. 577 shows up green, so the camera thinks the mix is cyan. Funny enough, same happens if I use 457nm. I see magenta, camera sees cyan.

Edit:
Checked for clouds, none overhead. Couldn't see the spot on the clouds over the horizon but could see it on the top of the trees (no flights overhead, nobody lives where it was aimed)

Last edited:

julianthedragon

Checked for clouds, none overhead. Couldn't see the spot on the clouds over the horizon but could see it on the top of the trees (no flights overhead, nobody lives where it was aimed)
It's funny to think people who saw that probably don't even know what they saw or how rare a sight it is

I will be checking my local news the next couple days to see if anybody has something to say. I only had it on for 15 seconds tops so I really hope not. Would be neat to see a different perspective though

Pricey, but well worth it. Thank you for the beautiful pictures.

I had thought I misread the heading or something.
Very nice laser - I'm happy with my little 20-30mw 575nm, but I think I could be happier with that. :)

Enjoy and be careful - and continue to post pics as you have opportunity

Sowee7

I will be checking my local news the next couple days to see if anybody has something to say. I only had it on for 15 seconds tops so I really hope not. Would be neat to see a different perspective though
I would have loved to see that, not everyone has the chance to see a 2W yellow

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
2W of 577 isn't a common sight at all. I now know of two individuals that have just received 2W 577's recently. So it looks like I'm going to be enjoying double the yellow beamshots but also double the envy. Congrats on your new purchase, and never get rid of that beauty.

Interesting. I know a few of these popped up on ebay but were weeks apart. Guess I beat them to sharing.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Very nice images Zach. Did a great job getting them yellow too. Your thread is going to be a go to just to see that wavelength, as there isn’t much even on Google images.

kecked

Thank you. It’s like scratching that itch you can’t reach!