Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Few garage sale finds

Pman

Every year at the first week of May our neighborhood does a huge garage sale. There's a vendor that sells kettle corn, fried dough cotton candy, curly fries etc that we get some money (and free yummies) from for allowing him to use our property, water and electricity. So we basically sit on the front porch and enjoy the show after I run out early and pick up a few things as there are always some good finds.
This year I picked up 3 cases for laser type stuff finding these and paying a total of $6. The only one that looked at all used was the small one. The big one originally stored some kind of temperature calibration unit that must have been removed and the case left alone as it looks like it was never used (had the keys too) and the briefcase was absolutely brand new with all tags, instructions were with it including the foam pieces in the pockets. The cheapest I could find the briefcase for online was $268:D IT's made by ZERO Halliburton

H1pEZE.jpg

b4IGJ5.jpg

cuYg1J.jpg

The sticker on the large Ametek Calibration Instruments said it was a Type CTC-320 B RS232 and of course was not in the case. Inside the briefcase one there's a registration card that says it has a lifetime warranty and if you send the card in they will send a free small credit card case that looks just like this one. Going to send it in for the heck of it and see what happens.
rSbwcV.jpg

I'm not in the habit of going to garage sales but hey, when its practically on your doorstep I'm going to look. I believe the neighborhood on the other side of us is doing theirs this coming Saturday so after finding that stuff I'm going to have to take a look;)
A few years ago I bought a sealed Fluke 87 for $10 and that was one serious find.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice find for $6. Tis the garage sale season; happy hunting everyone. :beer:

My wife and I go to garage sales every now and again. I like to look for things that I can flip. I once found a CPAP machine (breathing machine for sleep apnea) for $5.00. I was going to tear it apart and use it for some projects. I looked online on craigslist and sold it for almost 300.00. This was about 5 years ago. I have not had that much luck in a while though.

Reactions: GSS
Hi Trend,
now thats a nice score to bad it couldn't be more often with flips like that ..

Rich:)

OVNI

My wife and I go to garage sales every now and again. I like to look for things that I can flip. I once found a CPAP machine (breathing machine for sleep apnea) for $5.00. I was going to tear it apart and use it for some projects. I looked online on craigslist and sold it for almost 300.00. This was about 5 years ago. I have not had that much luck in a while though.

I just threw out a brand new one I used half a dozen times and 4-5 boxes of accessories. I couldn't get used to it and fall asleep. $300 sounds about right. Double that with the accessories. Health insurance covered everything. I switched to taking more naps (but had to wait until I retired).

Nice score, Pman. It has been a long time since I had such luck. You can never have too many laser cases. ;)

@OVNI I would recommend trying different systems. My brother, mom, and dad all have Sleep-Apnea. My brother actually fell asleep at the wheel because of it. It isn't as simple as take more naps. If you don't enter REM sleep you are not resting.

Pman

Actually the Halliburton cost me $2:) The Large case and the Halliburton came from the same seller. Wanted $4 or the big one and $3 for the Hal but took $5 total for both. Got ripped off paying $1 for the small case lol.
The only thing I can come up with for the Halliburton was maybe he had gotten it as a gift or something and never used it and didn't realize how expensive it was. He was only about 50 yards away from my house.
There was some lady selling a crossbow with the bolts and I was really tempted accept I kept thinking about how much potential trouble I would get in fooling around with it. So close but it was $25 and my goal was to spend under $10 total.

Pman

Couple more finds as far as cases go for single lasers in an Amvets store. One was for a 60-300mW zoom camera lens that I paid about $8 for so I can mess with it and see if it has any real use for lasers or not. I'm sure it was expensive back when it came out. Figured even if it isn't and good for what we do I still have a nice round leathe case for a single wide laser.

Pman, yeah I had one of those lenses for my Minolta film camera years ago. It cost a few hundred back in the day, but I sure wish I still had it now. I think it would work as a beam expander.

GSS

Like I had mentioned before, yard sales can be a score for this hobby. Something as simple as a broken flashlight or alarm clock can get you a piece that you just can't find or cost to much to fabricate. The kids toys have given me some great projects like an example being a generic "ray gun" with its own sound board and tons of old light sabers. You just cant go wrong for a $1 and a fastech 532 module. Always go back and double check before you leave a certain yard sale as thats how I always seem to find something I had missed. Pman know has me wanting to look for those empty cases, as I really need to start organizing my lasers and parts:)

Last edited:
Every year at the first week of May our neighborhood does a huge garage sale. There's a vendor that sells kettle corn, fried dough cotton candy, curly fries etc that we get some money (and free yummies) from for allowing him to use our property, water and electricity. So we basically sit on the front porch and enjoy the show after I run out early and pick up a few things as there are always some good finds.
This year I picked up 3 cases for laser type stuff finding these and paying a total of $6. The only one that looked at all used was the small one. The big one originally stored some kind of temperature calibration unit that must have been removed and the case left alone as it looks like it was never used (had the keys too) and the briefcase was absolutely brand new with all tags, instructions were with it including the foam pieces in the pockets. The cheapest I could find the briefcase for online was $268:D IT's made by ZERO Halliburton

H1pEZE.jpg

b4IGJ5.jpg

cuYg1J.jpg

The sticker on the large Ametek Calibration Instruments said it was a Type CTC-320 B RS232 and of course was not in the case. Inside the briefcase one there's a registration card that says it has a lifetime warranty and if you send the card in they will send a free small credit card case that looks just like this one. Going to send it in for the heck of it and see what happens.
rSbwcV.jpg

I'm not in the habit of going to garage sales but hey, when its practically on your doorstep I'm going to look. I believe the neighborhood on the other side of us is doing theirs this coming Saturday so after finding that stuff I'm going to have to take a look;)
A few years ago I bought a sealed Fluke 87 for $10 and that was one serious find.

Ohh Sweet :drool:

I just threw out a brand new one I used half a dozen times and 4-5 boxes of accessories. I couldn't get used to it and fall asleep. $300 sounds about right. Double that with the accessories. Health insurance covered everything. I switched to taking more naps (but had to wait until I retired).

dang- I could have never thrown a working Cpap away- somebody really could have used that- and for me the CPAP saved my life.. falling asleep while driving is a common issue with apnea and BTW- hardly anybody feels comfy at first- that goes away- like the feel of glasses- I am about to get a replacement after 15 years with my Respronics- cost was way over 1000$ where you got 300$ IS A MYSTERY-- maybe the co-pay??

selling the actual CPAP has restrictions- and is NEVER found at greedbay-just supplies that are VERY $$$$$ so throwing those out too ( the still sealed stuff) was money gone.

sometimes switching to a diff mask or head gear helps get one used to it.

the alternatives include dying young- from related health issues or shot for snoring...

oh well-:beer:

GSS

Hakzaw, who was that old time wild west out law that shot a man for snoring?:eek:

Last edited: