Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FEELER: The Trinity 3-In-One Laser

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't really charge $80 for a laser diode. You just can't. It's probably going to work out to be $10-20 in parts AT MOST, so you can't really go about charging $60+ for man hours - how many hours do you think went into this, probably 10? Maybe 20? You can charge whatever you want, I suppose, but NO ONE will buy a driver for that much unless it's a one-off thing. Once you start producing, you can't really be charging that.

I just put what JohnyZ quoted me... he will probably lower his price if I buy drivers in bulk because I was originally just going to buy one driver. Why do you suppose that Flexdrive V5's are $30 each? This driver is essentially 3 Flexdrives in one driver and its reprogrammable.

Last edited:

Flexdrives are $26 a piece. BUt that doesn't matter - the point is, it's a single product. And most people here agree that the Flexdrive is a bit pricey for what it does. The only reason it sells so well here is because it's freaking TINY.

Your driver is too larger to be used in almost all builds besides this one, and the fact of the matter is that it's just too large for a single driver. Why would anyone ever buy that when they could get three, proven Flexdrives that are smaller for less than the cost of that?

I don't mean to offend, it just seems ludicrous to me.

No offense taken... I see where you're coming from. The reason its so large is because it will fit perfectly in the spot where the original Tk-45 Driver was... I'm sure we could have made it double sided and much smaller but I didn't need it small. Also the reason I didn't just go with three flexdrives is because I wanted to be able to switch between the colors, like having only one on, and with three separate drivers I would have either had to have three switches or just have them all on at the same time. I am perfectly fine with someone just wanting to put 3 flexdrives in it, but the price would come out to be the same.

Last edited:
my offer stands if you design it with st chips and i can hook them up to my driver, it will save you time and money.
my drives cost me about 1$ material and most of that is board cost.
So all i would need is a chip programed with what you want.

my offer stands if you design it with st chips and i can hook them up to my driver, it will save you time and money.
my drives cost me about 1$ material and most of that is board cost.
So all i would need is a chip programed with what you want.

I will definitely consider that :) I just emailed JohnyZ about lowering the price so well see what he says... hopefully it will be a yes. Maybe I could offer both drivers as an option... your's can be the economy driver and than I can offer the TrippleBoost as a more "all-in-one" driver (for lack of a better term)?

Last edited:

Johnyz

And suddenly, everyone has free boost drivers capable of 5A from a single coin cell. The price WILL drop. Remember how much was bobhaha asked for a couple of prototypes by his engineer? $1000 for a couple of prototypes...

LaZeRz

If your going to spend all that money on a bad-ass laser, would a few dollars here and there really make much of a difference?

Johnyz

Well, if everything goes well, it isn't going to be just few dollars cheaper. But even with three flexdrives, you still need a way to tame the inputs, because the switch is done differently. It doesn't interrupt the power, but it instead is a input to the driver. Also, it's a momentary, so even if you make the power go through it, it would be highly unpractical and it would probably melt under all that current (it's a signal switch probably).

I would put the cash to this project but only if all 3 used 445nm Diodes pushing at least 1.5 watts. The point here would be to get POWDER. Or at the very least, if you unfocused each lens a bit, you would get a really neat wide light saber effect.(which would be even better if this host was done in a iconic hilt)

I would put the cash to this project but only if all 3 used 445nm Diodes pushing at least 1.5 watts. The point here would be to get POWDER. Or at the very least, if you unfocused each lens a bit, you would get a really neat wide light saber effect.(which would be even better if this host was done in a iconic hilt)

Perhaps you should stop snorting :na:

Personally I'm thinking it would be more impressive with three 635nm ld's:eg:

So as I understand it then : $463.00 + shipping/handling for a 3 color unit without batteries. The lasers are, as of this time, non-spec or unknown types or powers. The run times are therefore also not yet determined. (Just going by what is posted in this thread. Not looking at your link.)
And you are looking to see if that is generally acceptable ?
I need to do a bit more comparisons.
:thinking:

We might be able to do that...The only problem is that the driver is made to drive three different types of lasers, not 3 445's so that could be a problem. Maybe Kiyoukan's driver could do that... One big problem i see with his driver is what JohnyZ said where the switch is momentary not on/off.

EDIT:
So as I understand it then : $463.00 + shipping/handling for a 3 color unit without batteries. The lasers are, as of this time, non-spec or unknown types or powers. The run times are therefore also not yet determined. (Just going by what is posted in this thread. Not looking at your link.)
And you are looking to see if that is generally acceptable ?
I need to do a bit more comparisons.
:thinking:
I took down the prices until I get a more exact price including all the shipping costs coming from the companies... I think it will be more like $500. I will be posting beamshots,run times, and lpm readings when I get the driver from JohnyZ and finish my Triniy. Only after I finish MY Trinity and know it works flawlessly will I be selling these to the forums. I just made this thread to see who would be interested...

Last edited:
WOW Johnyz that Driver is Amazing. Really nice work you do. I really like how you Programed all those modes in.

:gj:

+:beer:

Last edited:

TuhOz

That's very nice laser again, cant wait for beam pics.

Can you use all the lasers at same time? blue,green,red?

Then it would be like
:lasergun:

lol.

this is very cool. i love 3 headed hosts. i thought about making my own but it's too pricey for me. :(:D

Status
Not open for further replies.