Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FEELER CNI 561nm 5mW pointers.

GR3EN

It's a foggy morning for the 561nm. Just took it with my phone though so of course after resize it's sideways. Hope you guys get yours soon.
21k9tfd.jpg

Looks good. I'm amazed at how good your camera picks it up with minimal corrections. my camera shows it the same as 532. I'll have to take a few shots and post the beam from my labby and join in the fun. you should do a video with the beam profile changing to show how stable it is. I'm interested in that. makes me want to put it on my rapid response meter and see just how much the needle flies around.

Our tracking shows that there is a "clearance delay" in Anchorage. Hopefully this won't hold up our lasers!

Our tracking shows that there is a "clearance delay" in Anchorage. Hopefully this won't hold up our lasers!

No need to worry! Same thing happened to my 655 labby when coming from CNI. A couple hours went by & it was back on it's merry way :)

-Alex

Thanks for the info, but it looks like it is still help up. I doubt it will make it by tomorrow morning like it says it will.

BTW, here is this list of power outputs provided by CNI:
3.95mW
3.64mW
3.47mW
3.35mW
3.16mW

Again, these numbers are likely of little meaning due to the instability of these lasers. Regardless, they will be used to define each laser for shipment. I want all of you to pick a number between 1 and 5 (including 1 and 5 of course :p) and then we will use the following link to generate a random sequence from 1 to 5.

https://www.random.org/sequences/

The first number on the list will get the strongest rated one, the second getting the second strongest rating, and so on. We will have a moderator run this for us.

Uh, let's go with 3? Honestly I don't really care if I get a low or high power. And like you said, it doesn't really matter since there are many more factors than just power with these lasers. But I guess this removes all bias with who gets which laser.

The lasers are still held up in AK...luckily these are sub 5mW or I'd be panicking now. :D

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks for the update styro, they're all legitimate <5mW lasers, so we should be good to go!

@LeHap, looks like we'll have to keep an eye on Alaskan's sig. for awhile. :D

SHIT.

Just got a voicemail from FedEx...our lasers are under a "FDA hold". I will look into this after my classes are over today.

Edit: Tried calling and couldn't get a hold of the person who called me. I did find this though: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_254.html
It looks like shipments from CNI to the US are likely to get flagged.

Guidance:
*** Districts may detain without physical examination (DWPE) all shipments of the same product as was originally found violative such as laser pointers, laser gunsights, laser levels, laser pointer key chains, laser light show projectors, and similar products (covered laser products) from the manufacturers/shippers listed on the attachment to this alert.

In addition, covered laser products are subject to detention if, among other reasons, an examination shows they do not appear to comply with the appropriate standard as follows:

(1) The laser product does not have a permanently attached warning logotype label;
(2) The laser product output exceeds 5 milliwatts;
(3) The laser product fails to contain certification or identification information either on the product or in the instructions for use;
(4) The laser product fails to contain instructions for safe use;
(5) The product class or output information on the laser product's warning logotype label is different from that in the instructions for use; and/or
(6) A product report for the laser product has not been submitted. ***

Last edited:
it means they're probably awaiting FDA approval to pass customs. I've had lasers held for a short time before they pass through customs. my old rigel got held up 2 days iirc as well as a small oem module at one point.

Encap

SHIT.

Just got a voicemail from FedEx...our lasers are under a "FDA hold". I will look into this after my classes are over today.

Edit: Tried calling and couldn't get a hold of the person who called me. I did find this though: Import Alert 95-04
It looks like shipments from CNI to the US are likely to get flagged.

Being 5mW or less in output power does not exempt CNI from properly labeling the lasers nor from providing anything else required for import of lasers to the USA>

I hope CNI was smart enough to properly label and properly declare the lasers.

FDA says:" One way to determine if such a laser has been manufactured to regulatory power and hazard class limits is to find labeling. The labeling that comes with the laser (and online labeling) must display the power, hazard class, and wavelength. The wavelength is a number that describes the color of the beam.
The label must display the laser power. It must be 5 milliWatts or less. The label must display the hazard class. It must be Class I, Class IIa, Class II, Class IIIa or Class 1, Class 2 or Class 3R." ~ from: Does FDA regulate these new powerful laser "pointers" and are they hazardous?

Last edited: