Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fan cooled 12X in Mohrenberg host.

Toke

I have just finished my new quick and dirty fan cooled handheld. :D

The host is from Mohrenberg, a nice spacious one where the side clicky have lots of space underneath. The diode is from Morgan, fan from boscoj, and the driver is a simple linear one from Aixiz set to 400mA.

I had to remove the steel weights from the tailcap to make room for the two batteries without pressing to much on the clicky.
The hollow plastic cylinder holding the clicky in place have been sawn and drilled to accommodate the driver, allow airflow from the holes opposite the switch, and fit the fan without stalling it.

The only way to to get proper use of the air is to drill holes through the heatsink parallel with the module.

Driver and fan is soldered in parallel to the clicky output, negative is caught in the tread, assembly is a bit tricky as the wires are pretty long and there is a risk they press the fan down and block it. The driver is too long to fit in the module and still allow space for the fan, I made a disproof of concept with a LOC.

ETA: Tinypics does not agree with the bandwidth of the ships wireless for crew, I will try upload pictures tomorrow in the control room.

6omuk3.jpg

Testload in the background, used to set for 400mA.
2igej2p.jpg

o6jk1g.jpg

A clear picture showing the ventilation holes. :)
2ng8xar.jpg

To the right of the spring is the thingie holding the clicky in place.
It have been modified a bit, the tape covering the top is to achieve an air seal for the fan.
2emexsi.jpg

Here is a disproof of concept showing the driver sticks too far out to leave room for the fan.

Last edited:

ped

Pics or it didnt happen! :D

And Toke, i like your builds, you know that..

But was this just to see if you COULD do a fan cooled 12x? because my 12x near enough maxed out has a 100% D/C and doesnt even get remotely warm, let alone require forced air cooling?

Toke

Pics or it didnt happen! :D

And Toke, i like your builds, you know that..

But was this just to see if you COULD do a fan cooled 12x? because my 12x near enough maxed out has a 100% D/C and doesnt even get remotely warm, let alone require forced air cooling?

Require???? I do not see the relevance. :D

No, I doubt it needs it, but I had these really cute fans lying around and wanted to fit them in something.

Besides, the sound of the fan spinning up when it is turned on is really nice. :D

Awesome.:)

Please Upload a video with it on. I want to hear the Roar.:D

This is a very cool build. I like seeing the fan built in and the holes in the
Heat-sink are well thought out.
:gj:

ped

I wasnt expecting it to look like that, thats pretty good :)

+1

Nice job Toke! Very interesting design, with a fan on a hand held pointer.

Require???? I do not see the relevance. :D

No, I doubt it needs it, but I had these really cute fans lying around and wanted to fit them in something.

Besides, the sound of the fan spinning up when it is turned on is really nice. :D

Hey since the fan sounds soooo nice could you make a video of the unit working at full operation??? PLEASSEE? lol :wave: Id love to hear and see how the whole unit works :) Ive always wanted to build a fan cooled hand held and I cant get over this unit you have made so :thanks: for sharing what you have thus far man really appreciate it! :p

anselm

Active cooling in a handheld is always very cool, pardon the lousy pun.
And she's a purdy purdy one, too!

Toke

My vessel does not have the bandwidth for uploading video* to Youtube, I am signing off on the 30. in some port or other and will be able to upload a video then.

*Unless I come up with something else?

Toke

Awesome.:)

Please Upload a video with it on. I want to hear the Roar.:D

It is a pretty high frequency "Roar" from such a small overloaded fan. Nominal voltage is 5V, I am giving it 7.2 - 8.4 straight from the batteries, my diodes are at home.:(

Anyway I managed to upload a short sequence. :)
YouTube - IMAG0026.AVI

Thank You. That sound awesome. Sound like a turbo boosting up. Thats why i love those little fans and the way Some Lab lasers with fans sound.

It might be just me but it makes everything seem more powerful.:eg:

Wish i could make something like that.:)

:gj:

by the way how did you remove the weights at the bottom of the tailcap... been wanting to do that without scratching up the inside of it.

Toke

by the way how did you remove the weights at the bottom of the tailcap... been wanting to do that without scratching up the inside of it.

I started by sticking a 5mm drill repeatedly into the "cement/clay" thinking it was the weight, it began turning so I levered it out with a screwdriver in the holes made.

After that the two iron dishes came out simply by banging the endcap on the table. :)

Tonga

That's pretty cool and literally man:drool:! Nice idea and work:)