Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Extreme laser collimination

Fairly new to lasers... but would it be possible to create a laser that is the collimation of each common wavelength, 405,445,532,635,808,980 etc... into one laser beam.

For example, A Laser beam of each of those wavelengths cleverly collimated into one beam, obviously this would take a very long time to get right including numerous lenses, actually thinnking about it I dont think in reality (as apposed to my imagination) some crazy colour laser beam is going to emerge, in fact thinking about it this is a ridiculous idea. Damn.

Well, if you balanced the power right, it would just result in a brilliant white. But, unfortunately, these almost always have slightly different divergences.

DSC00391.JPG

only missing 640 and 660

If you could in theory, get all the color beams...to match divergences. What effect would this have

I thought the main thing about laser light was the wave lengths are the same, and in a sense interlocked, imparting energy into each other and amplifying each other.

So if you have a "laser" beam made of a ton of wavelengths....even if the divergence is for all intents and purposes equal...wouldnt there be less over all power from a given current..just because there is an interfference wave pattern from all the diff wave lengths.

Last edited:
My idea was the same principle of mixing paint, but these are pure colours i suppose, so I'm not sure, but WICKED picture above.

It would just be a white beam (cool, really, really cool looking), which is awesome.

It would just be a white beam (cool, really, really cool looking), which is awesome.

Right but wouldnt this white beam, have less power than say ...a red beam..or a green beam..at the same current. simply because the white beam, has multiple wavelengths interffering with each other, and not amplifying each other?

Last edited:
No no no. All the wavelenghs are of different length, so there is no interference - to our eyes, we just combine all of the beams. So it would be like seeing a 300mW 650, a 50mW green and a 200mW blue all at the same time, which would look white to us, and would the combined brightness of those three wavelengths.

Fairly new to lasers... but would it be possible to create a laser that is the collimation of each common wavelength, 405,445,532,635,808,980 etc... into one laser beam.

For example, A Laser beam of each of those wavelengths cleverly collimated into one beam, obviously this would take a very long time to get right including numerous lenses, actually thinnking about it I dont think in reality (as apposed to my imagination) some crazy colour laser beam is going to emerge, in fact thinking about it this is a ridiculous idea. Damn.

You could in theory for an unknown distance. But not for a great distance. Each wavelength will diverge at a different rate. In practical terms probably not with all the wavelengths listed.

No no no. All the wavelenghs are of different length, so there is no interference - to our eyes, we just combine all of the beams. So it would be like seeing a 300mW 650, a 50mW green and a 200mW blue all at the same time, which would look white to us, and would the combined brightness of those three wavelengths.

I get it yeh. :)

It would be way too hard to find that many different dichros. If I had to do that (although I'm not sure why I would), I would use a prism.

My idea was the same principle of mixing paint, but these are pure colours i suppose, so I'm not sure, but WICKED picture above.

mixing all paint colors will result in black

mixing all light colors will result in white

if just a white beam is what you are looking for then you just need to combine red, green, and blue. and the way our eyes perceive light you would need less green than blue and less blue than red.

michael.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ash