Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Extreme laser collimination

"mixing all paint colors will result in black"

Actually...if you try it out you will find that all the paint colors mixed together create BROWN.
Pigments are a different thing. From my design courses 20+ years ago you find that any color & it's compliment (opposite) when mixed to equal proportions form brown. Using ALL colors just means that every possible color is being mixed with it's exact opposite also resulting in brown. And it always seems to be an ugly brown too.

Not true in a mixed gas laser. :D:D:D

Divergence is a function of wavelength. Short wavelengths comparatively diverge less than longer wavelengths. I think under normal operating distances of a few feet to tens of feet there would not be a noticeable divergence of wavelengths. But over larger distances 100s of feet and more you'd see this divergence become apparent.

If you have time and the right location shine it on a very distant object and let's see if I'm right.

IMG_20110819_225655.jpg

That's a couple of watts of RYGB from a whitelight Ar/Kr laser. All of the beams share the same divergence/beam size.

I don't know if the difference in wavelength changes the divergence in a multiline gas laser. I may have to fire up my argon and balance a few hundred mirrors around my basement to see :D

IMG_20110819_225655.jpg

That's a couple of watts of RYGB from a whitelight Ar/Kr laser. All of the beams share the same divergence/beam size.

I don't know if the difference in wavelength changes the divergence in a multiline gas laser. I may have to fire up my argon and balance a few hundred mirrors around my basement to see :D

Now that...is a really sweet gas multiline laser.

I would love to own one oneday if it didn't cost me one of my kidneys...

Thanks for sharing Pontiacg5!!!

Benm

I would be logical to assume there will be a difference in divergence between the wavelengths. The divergence is influenced by a number of factors - including the length of the tube and the curvature of the mirrors.

These factors are all in terms of wavelength however, and i wonder how they work out if you combine all of them. For example, the tube is 'longer' for a short wavelength, which may offset the divergence added from the mirror being 'more curved' to some degree.

Unfortunately i dont have access to any multiline laser, but i really wonder what the output would look like when projected onto a surface a kilometer away :)