Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ever burned forearm with 445nm at 1000mw?

Now first off, I'm not advocating that anyone try this. I had to know how the unfocused ~1000mw 445 beam would feel at 6 inches from the inside of my forearm. I allowed the beam to very briefly, say ~1 second hit my arm. It stings, and did not scar the skin. I had my eyes closed, due to the close irradiation that occurs. The sting was on par with a bee sting, but faded almost instantly. The beam diameter was ~3mm. Focus was set for infinity. I have no interest in doing it again, but I had to know. So, who else has attempted to "feel" the beams power? Come on, be honest.

lol, havent tried the blue yet, but my green, red and bluray lasers on my tattos are quite the bee sting, :whistle: , and they are all under 400mW, hmmm 1000mW of blue...no thanks

..well maybe.

Cheers
Dave

lol I do it quite often. The thing is, temperature receptors seem a bit slower to respond than touch receptors, so by the time you feel the pain, the damage has been occuring slightly already. therefore i briefly move my hand/arm quickly through the focal point of the beam, holding it still for half a sec max, and take it out before I actually feel the pain. So I feel the sting of it just after I move my arm out of the beam.

Morgan

100mW of red is not noticable. :D

You might feel it on a mole Toke!

I can confirm that claims stating 1,000mW of focused 445nm can set fire to skin are false. At least that's the case with the skin on the back of my hand.

It does make it sizzle and pop like frying bacon though and is very painful. It produces smoke and smells like burning hair. Do not try this at home.

Similar burns are seen when grazing briefly against very hot metal. Immediate damage only to the first few layers, leaving a whitened wound with reddened inflamation of surrounding skin, but blistering is seen in the first 30mins, (not severe). 2-3 weeks healing time until scabbing is completely gone leaving a slightly depressed scar of darker colouring. No long term data.

Once again, do not try this at home.

M
:)

Morgan

Apologies...

Do not try this at home, or anywhere else! Especially McDonald's.

(In fact, for a comical comparison, I think it's likely 1,000mW of focused 445nm light is nothing compared to the burns and pain capable of being inflicted by the sauce inside a fresh McDonald's apple pie!)

M

Last edited:

daguin

:crackup: No. I have never done this . . . .:wtf:

And before you ask, I have never intentionally hit my thumb with a hammer or purposely stapled the web between my thumb and finger either :whistle:

Peace,
dave

Similar burns are seen when grazing briefly against very hot metal. Immediate damage only to the first few layers, leaving a whitened wound with reddened inflamation of surrounding skin, but blistering is seen in the first 30mins, (not severe). 2-3 weeks healing time until scabbing is completely gone leaving a slightly depressed scar of darker colouring. No long term data.

That's interesting, I did it with my green months ago and the skin is now whiter, not darker. You described it pretty accurately though. It was like the "whitened wound with reddened inflammation", but the red went away and it's now white...

Really guys, don't do this.
tongue.gif
lol it really hurts.

I only burn my finger tips slightly & inadvertently, (I'm too cheap, [or too broke]), to buy a jayrob focus ring), so far... But there are thousands of things that I would and do burn, but myself, no thanks!

JLSE

Now first off, I'm not advocating that anyone try this. I had to know how the unfocused ~1000mw 445 beam would feel at 6 inches from the inside of my forearm. I allowed the beam to very briefly, say ~1 second hit my arm. It stings, and did not scar the skin. I had my eyes closed, due to the close irradiation that occurs. The sting was on par with a bee sting, but faded almost instantly. The beam diameter was ~3mm. Focus was set for infinity. I have no interest in doing it again, but I had to know. So, who else has attempted to "feel" the beams power? Come on, be honest.

I was testing out some different optics in a labby, laser was putting out at least 1.2W with a long narrow focused beam...

I was taking some video, and accidentally moved my forearm into the path :eek:
Of course I had safety goggles on and was clear from the beam, but focused on starting the video, and ouch!

I have a clip, but there is no way im posting it here lol. You hear a slight grunt from me, and the camera jump...

My wife nearly passed out from laughing when I showed her the clip, my brother in law rips on me for it till this day.

Moral of the story, do not get in the path of one of these when powered!

To me, it felt like accidentally brushing up against a hot solder iron tip.. Bee sting would also be a good way to put it. Though the pain is very brief, it was gone as fast as it came...

/embarrassment

Morgan

I was testing out some different optics in a labby, laser was putting out at least 1.2W with a long narrow focused beam...

I was taking some video, and accidentally moved my forearm into the path :eek:
Of course I had safety goggles on and was clear from the beam, but focused on starting the video, and ouch!

I have a clip, but there is no way im posting it here lol. You hear a slight grunt from me, and the camera jump...

My wife nearly passed out from laughing when I showed her the clip, my brother in law rips on me for it till this day.

Moral of the story, do not get in the path of one of these when powered!

To me, it felt like accidentally brushing up against a hot solder iron tip.. Bee sting would also be a good way to put it. Though the pain is very brief, it was gone as fast as it came...

/embarrassment

There you go! Just what I was saying. I don't know why I didn't think to use those terms as most of us have experienced this on more than one occasion!

M

100mW of red is not noticable. :D

try it on a mole or freckle. something dark.

My friend had a permanent scar on one of his tattoos.
Black tattoo and a red 240mW focused to burn.

It made a tiny little blister on his skin and the resulting scar made a tiny skin colored dot in the middle of his black tattoo

Actually, it's the guy in the black shirt in my avatar....face not shown..