Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Encouragement?

Hey guys,

If any of you have seen my signature/read my posts lately you will know Im currently saving up for a LaserGlow Rigel-5 pointer. I have a job which is great & in 1 week's time I will have the funds needed to buy one :) Problem is.....

The place I work at, the women in charge(there are 2, one is the boss the other an associate) is making things really difficult on me. I get along great with the associate & my sister when we are together, but as soon as the boss walks in she always has to say something negative about me(I don't think she is trying to purposely) & is mad if I ask her to repeat a question again(which is why I ask the other lady) she also has very little patience so I feel very stressed around her:(

I currently have $130 which is nowhere near what the Rigel costs so I need to make it through 1 more week and then if I decide to stay the rest of the money will be extra, something I can save up or spend on laser accessories. Im really hoping I can AT LEAST make it through 1 more week, but it may not happen. While at work I always focus on how amazing owning a 593.5nm pointer would be but *sigh* Im just losing hope and was really hoping some of you fantastic people could maybe help me push through :)

Sorry for the long post, but needed to get my feelings out.

-Alex

RayJay

Dude, Just push through it. As you said, is putting up with her bull s%$^ worth a rigel 5? Damn straight it is! :beer:

Not many people like their bosses.. I don't really like my boss but it is a job. It pays the bills(and buys the lasers :) and that's all that matters at the end of the day.
Just keep that sweet sweet gold beam in the back of your mind and when she is being an a$$ just smile and say to her "yes, whatever you say" :p

Every time she pisses you off just smile and Imagine her face if you gave her a swift kick in the fanny. Then smile and she'll wonder what you're up to.

I would also consider a DL 589 as oppose to a Rigel 5. It'll be more stable and brighter. Don't get me wrong I love my Rigel 5 but if I didn't have a yellow and could only choose one logic suggests I'd take the DL. Although I do like the quirky characteristics of 593.5, particularly early ones.

Last edited:
^Haha, thanks guys. I think if I did any of those I would get fired before the end of next week :( Oh well, I will be so happy next Friday :D

-Alex

I would argue that the very fact that you are saving your money and working through hardship to purchase said laser will help you to appreciate it even more than had it be easy to obtain or given to you. The endeavor cements value that perhaps would not have been there or as strong if you hadn't persisted to your goal. This less applies to everything in life and the wisdom, if reapplied along the way, will serve you well.

/c

Here are some pics of my beast. http://laserpointerforums.com/f40/pgl-lll-593-5-now-my-collection-78867.html

IMAG0050_zps493c5deb.jpg

IMAG00412_zpsdfe93942.jpg

Unstable as Pelosi, but
594nmPGL10chart.jpg

Keep your eye on the prize brutha

Last edited:
Just focus on what you're getting out of it, and how important it is to you.

Bosses are people, and as such they are just as riddled with flaws as any random smattering of people. They will do things that defy logic and serve no purpose other than to engender fear, distrust, and stress. The biggest duty to perform in a job is to put up with all the bullshit that your employers and coworkers give you while trying to do what is required of you. If jobs were just a matter of doing X task for Y pay then life would be a vacation!

It's strange, the most caustic people seem to make the most successful upper management folks. It's hard to feel like you are working for something you believe in when working as a server or busboy or something, but if you can find something about the job that you feel is important to your customers and concentrate on doing what you need to do the best you can, all the drama stuff starts taking a back seat, and you worry about it less.

A reward, a monochromatic light at the end of the tunnel, is a very good incentive, and that too will help you make it through. A Rigel is real, it produces real energy, you can see it, feel it, care for it. Getting chewed out or criticized, well, just from watching those TV shows with chefs competing for stuff, it seems that the boss is always chewing out the underlings. I think subconsciously, it's a way to figure out who can handle the stress and who lets the stress affect them. Once your brain understands that under the harsh words, there may be (or may not be, some people are just jerks) some actual real helpful advice, and that all the stuff that makes you feel bad is just garnish, not meant to be eaten, it will filter that stuff out for you and you'll just hear "could you stack these over there instead, we're all used to it that way" instead of the literal words like "wtf is wrong with you for stacking these here, can't you see that the others are over there, idiot?"

But yeah, for a job that is just meant as some income, sometimes it's best to have an external reward, and just have a relaxing ritual after every work shift. No reason that an angry boss should affect how you feel outside of work, or even at work for that matter.

I bought a "french bread" at the grocery store the other day. Disappointing excuse for bread :cryyy: Made me think of Greenlander, the bastid, probably laughing maniacally while taking giant chomps offa baguette.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the help. Hopefully I can make it through the next week and not get chewed out too much, and as soon as I hold the Rigel in my hands I will look back on this and realized it was all worth it.

@BShanahan14 rulz. Sorry to hear about that, come to France and enjoy some reallll bread :D

-Alex

Are you dead set on getting a Rigel then?

I will warn you, that unless you get a really good one you can pretty much forget about beamshots except in thick, heavy fog looking down the beam axis. They destroy AAAs (and in fact mine works better with rechargeables, even Duracell Alkalines don't appear to be able to handle the current draw very well). Mine is pretty stable and likes to be run hot but a lot aren't that way so you get ridiculously short runtimes and an unstable beam. Doubly so in hotter climates/weather - mine heats up far far quicker now its summer time.

Personally I think you will get so much more for your money with a DL 589, but I've said it several times now so I won't carry on bleating...

Seriously give it a thought - I dropped $200 on mine but to drop almost double that for a new unit (that probably won't be as good), not sure I think it's worth it...

Last edited:
Hey guys,

If any of you have seen my signature/read my posts lately you will know Im currently saving up for a LaserGlow Rigel-5 pointer. I have a job which is great & in 1 week's time I will have the funds needed to buy one :) Problem is.....

The place I work at, the women in charge(there are 2, one is the boss the other an associate) is making things really difficult on me. I get along great with the associate & my sister when we are together, but as soon as the boss walks in she always has to say something negative about me(I don't think she is trying to purposely) & is mad if I ask her to repeat a question again(which is why I ask the other lady) she also has very little patience so I feel very stressed around her:(

I currently have $130 which is nowhere near what the Rigel costs so I need to make it through 1 more week and then if I decide to stay the rest of the money will be extra, something I can save up or spend on laser accessories. Im really hoping I can AT LEAST make it through 1 more week, but it may not happen. While at work I always focus on how amazing owning a 593.5nm pointer would be but *sigh* Im just losing hope and was really hoping some of you fantastic people could maybe help me push through :)

Sorry for the long post, but needed to get my feelings out.

-Alex

Well I don't really know what it feels like to go through something like this because I've never had a job, but in my experience when you have to deal with a tough situation you just gotta keep pushing on. Picture your goals and force yourself to reach them. There's nothing better than getting through something difficult then thinking to yourself, "I did it." Trust me it will be worth it if you stay at that job for a little longer.

- Ryan

Are you dead set on getting a Rigel then?

I will warn you, that unless you get a really good one you can pretty much forget about beamshots except in thick, heavy fog looking down the beam axis. They destroy AAAs (and in fact mine works better with rechargeables, even Duracell Alkalines don't appear to be able to handle the current draw very well. Mine is pretty stable and likes to be run hot but a lot aren't that way so you get ridiculously short runtimes and an unstable beam. Doubly so in hotter climates/weather - mine heats up far far quicker now its summer time.

Personally I think you will get so much more for your money with a DL 589, but I've said it several times now so I won't carry on bleating...

Seriously give it a thought - I dropped $200 on mine but to drop almost double that for a new unit (that probably won't be as good), not sure I think it's worth it...

Hum...the part where you mentioned it goes through batteries very quickly has me worried, if possible I try and avoid lasers like that. Do you think the Rigel HV 589nm would be any better on battery life? If so I will proboably pick that one up instead of the Rigel :)

-Alex

Hum...the part where you mentioned it goes through batteries very quickly has me worried, if possible I try and avoid lasers like that. Do you think the Rigel HV 589nm would be any better on battery life? If so I will proboably pick that one up instead of the Rigel :)

-Alex

I don't know. If the pump power is the same then no the battery use will be much the same. It baffles me that CNI used the CR2 host for the 473 but not for the yellow, especially as the yellow DPSS process is so inefficient it badly needs better batteries than AAAs.

Honestly though I think you should break away from LG for this purchase. value for money just isn't their game.

As for 589 v 593.5... it's a hard choice for me, 593.5 is a very quirky DPSS process and the original solid state yellow, but 589 is brighter and more stable. That said, if you're just gonna get a <5mW pen anyway, I'd enjoy it in 593.5 form for the reasons above.

Last edited:
Likewise, I agree that 593.5 > 589, but this is a very subjective assertation.

My Rigel-6 ate through industrial grade AAAs like you would not believe. I think I got about three or four minutes of run time before I needed a new pair. I got the best results from 1.55-1.59V cells, I tried using 1.2V NiCads but output was very much less stable as soon as cell voltage hit 1.18V or so. The thing about the rigels is that they are very inconsistent. Ever wonder why LG rates them with such a large range of rated power? Mine was rated for 5-9mW, it did 19mW peak, but averaged only about 3mW and would mode hop the entire duration of use. I wouldn't have minded if it just did 5-9mW the entire time, but instead it bounced wildly between 1mW and 19mW. The duty cycle on the Rigels isn't too bad, but it comes with a draw back. Due to the very small mass of the host it can't run for more than 45sec, and heatsinking is pretty decent, so it is possible to quickly externally cool the host and get another on cycle going, but this thermal cycles the components and can lead to shortened life span. Generally, heatsinking should be designed so that there is enough thermal capacity to gradually raise and lower temperature. In the case of the Rigel, the heatsinking is greatly inadequate, meaning that if you aren't strictly paying attention to the on/off times, you can very easily damage your laser.

I have heard that the Rigel-HVs are more stable, and due to them being pulsed at 700Hz have slightly longer battery lifetimes (because even at 90% pulse width there's still 10% less average power being consumed, and I don't think they run near 90% PW). They're still just as fragile and sensitive to duty cycle though.

The thing about the DL 598's is that it is a confirmed limited time offer. That's the crux of it right now, we're getting them while we can, because before we know it, they'll be unavailable. I won't pressure you in to getting one, but I will offer my thought process;

I had $450 to spend on a yellow a few weeks ago. I contacted Sam about a 594.1 Hene, and did hours of research looking in to their availability from various sources. I checked back into LG and their 589 and 593.5's. I was getting ready to spend $500 on a 3.1mW 594.1nm HeNe because it is insanely stable, can run near indefinitely, and is a rare gas laser. The only down sides to it would have been that it would take up most of my desk; something easily offset by reliability and the fact that those photons would continuously be there for me to enjoy. I get wind of the news that DragonLasers drastically lowered their price on the 589nm Spartan, and within 14 hours I placed my order for one. Why? Because 594.1nm HeNes and unstable pointers will always be there, and I know that one day I will get my yellow HeNe. These Spartans will essentially be unavailable in a matter of weeks though. They'll be unlisted by DL, available only by request for near $1300. LG and CNI won't sell them to US/Can residents anymore with the FDA crack down. So even if I could afford $1.3k and was inclined to spend it, I couldn't have it.

Now then, if you were firmly committed to only <5mW I'd in a heartbeat say grab a HeNe from Sam. It isn't portable by any stretch of the word, but y'know what? It will last a lifetime and be more reliable than any car you'll ever own, and you never have to turn it off before you are ready to.

Likewise, I agree that 593.5 > 589, but this is a very subjective assertation.

My Rigel-6 ate through industrial grade AAAs like you would not believe. I think I got about three or four minutes of run time before I needed a new pair. I got the best results from 1.55-1.59V cells, I tried using 1.2V NiCads but output was very much less stable as soon as cell voltage hit 1.18V or so. The thing about the rigels is that they are very inconsistent. Ever wonder why LG rates them with such a large range of rated power? Mine was rated for 5-9mW, it did 19mW peak, but averaged only about 3mW and would mode hop the entire duration of use. I wouldn't have minded if it just did 5-9mW the entire time, but instead it bounced wildly between 1mW and 19mW. The duty cycle on the Rigels isn't too bad, but it comes with a draw back. Due to the very small mass of the host it can't run for more than 45sec, and heatsinking is pretty decent, so it is possible to quickly externally cool the host and get another on cycle going, but this thermal cycles the components and can lead to shortened life span. Generally, heatsinking should be designed so that there is enough thermal capacity to gradually raise and lower temperature. In the case of the Rigel, the heatsinking is greatly inadequate, meaning that if you aren't strictly paying attention to the on/off times, you can very easily damage your laser.

I have heard that the Rigel-HVs are more stable, and due to them being pulsed at 700Hz have slightly longer battery lifetimes (because even at 90% pulse width there's still 10% less average power being consumed, and I don't think they run near 90% PW). They're still just as fragile and sensitive to duty cycle though.

The thing about the DL 598's is that it is a confirmed limited time offer. That's the crux of it right now, we're getting them while we can, because before we know it, they'll be unavailable. I won't pressure you in to getting one, but I will offer my thought process;

I had $450 to spend on a yellow a few weeks ago. I contacted Sam about a 594.1 Hene, and did hours of research looking in to their availability from various sources. I checked back into LG and their 589 and 593.5's. I was getting ready to spend $500 on a 3.1mW 594.1nm HeNe because it is insanely stable, can run near indefinitely, and is a rare gas laser. The only down sides to it would have been that it would take up most of my desk; something easily offset by reliability and the fact that those photons would continuously be there for me to enjoy. I get wind of the news that DragonLasers drastically lowered their price on the 589nm Spartan, and within 14 hours I placed my order for one. Why? Because 594.1nm HeNes and unstable pointers will always be there, and I know that one day I will get my yellow HeNe. These Spartans will essentially be unavailable in a matter of weeks though. They'll be unlisted by DL, available only by request for near $1300. LG and CNI won't sell them to US/Can residents anymore with the FDA crack down. So even if I could afford $1.3k and was inclined to spend it, I couldn't have it.

Now then, if you were firmly committed to only <5mW I'd in a heartbeat say grab a HeNe from Sam. It isn't portable by any stretch of the word, but y'know what? It will last a lifetime and be more reliable than any car you'll ever own, and you never have to turn it off before you are ready to.

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with more information, I appreciate it :)

I decided this: If I manage to make it to the end of next week I will just go ahead and buy the Rigel-5 pointer from LaserGlow. If I don't manage to last that long I will go ahead and purchase the LaserGlow Electra which even though dim is still a pretty good little pointer :)

Note: If anyone has more information please go ahead and provide me with it!

-Alex

Rifter

Life sucks sometimes man, but the cold hard truth is you need to work to get paid, and that means working for people you dont like more often than not. Ive disliked almost every boss i have ever had and there have been dozens of them over the years.

Just focus on doing the best job you can and dont take anything they say personally, if you have come to the conclusion that this person is a complete idiot why would you care what an idiot has to say to or about you anyways.

Dont get stressed, if you are doing the best job you can then you have nothing to be stressed about.