Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dust cover for Ophir heads

ARG

I wanted a way to keep dust and debris out of the sensor area on my Ophir heads, so I made this plastic cap to go on top.

nAFzDM5.jpg

It's made to be 3D printed, so I attached the file below. :)

mQlFpQr.png

Attachments

• OphirBox.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

I have one of these and its great. Protects from dust and accidental finger prints :)

I was thinking of something similar out of kydex. Just heat and bend.

I have one of Mrcrouse's excellent total coverage heatsinks for mine. My thought was to have a small tab the would ride on the fin of the heatsink and wrap around the front of the Ophir. I'm not sophisticated enough to provide a drawing though but if I make one I will post pics.

:)

-Bob

Last edited:

jimdt7

Damn, santa didn't bring me a 3D printer this year...
BTW, which printer do you have?

Happy new year,
Jim

Cool, I'll go print one!

Oh that's right, I don't have an Ophir. Or a LPM of any kind. :(
Maybe a late Christmas gift to myself is in order, eh?

One more reason to buy a 3d printer. I keep thinking about it but just can't pull the trigger yet. Someone was making a 3d scanner (maker bot?), if that tech gets good enough for the real world, I'm in. I hate trying to do anything with cad type software.

Tmack

Bubble wrap and a rubber band :/ have a nice wood box for the entire unit though. Yours just looks so clean. Nice job.

Last edited:
One more reason to buy a 3d printer. I keep thinking about it but just can't pull the trigger yet. Someone was making a 3d scanner (maker bot?), if that tech gets good enough for the real world, I'm in. I hate trying to do anything with cad type software.

We got one...it's super not exciting. Every scan kinda looks like cottage cheese....I just draw up all the parts I need printed in Autodesk Inventor- great 3D CAD program. Not very easy to learn, but I had basically a whole year long class on it.

djQUAN

I spent the whole last day of 2013 and the first day of 2014 building this. Don't know yet if it'll work. :na:

attachment.php

As for the Ophir cover, I've been using a swing type cover made from aluminum :) no need to fumble with removing something to uncover.

Pics towards the end of this LINK.

Attachments

• IMG_1141s.jpg
    IMG_1141s.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Ooooh! Nice! The Rostock is what I was looking at building, but a couple lasers robbed me of my money :p (and by a couple I mean...4)

Anymore, I would rather pay 600$ for a pre built solidoddle-that has a warrantee- than build my own. Keep me updates on your process! The printer I work with now is a Cubify Cubex, which is incredible, but I don't have experience with building a printer from scratch. Hope it works well! How much did it cost you total?

Edit: sorry for hardcore derailing this thread!

Last edited:

djQUAN

Sorry ARG. I'm just going to answer crazyspaz's last post then I'll stop derailing this thread :p

It's actually my friend's. I think he got it for around $1k plus shipping to here which was maybe another $200-300. I just built it for him but I will get unlimited use off of it just need to supply my own filament. :D