Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dust cover for Ophir heads

ARG

Sorry ARG. I'm just going to answer crazyspaz's last post then I'll stop derailing this thread :p

It's actually my friend's. I think he got it for around $1k plus shipping to here which was maybe another $200-300. I just built it for him but I will get unlimited use off of it just need to supply my own filament. :D

DW about it, I love a 3D printer discussion :D

benmwv

Ive been looking into building a 3d printer for some time now. The only way I will afford one is if I build it totally from parts not using any type of kit. Hopefully I can build it this summer. It will probably be fairly shitty and small, but I will be able to use it to print parts for a bigger and better one!

Sorry ARG. I'm just going to answer crazyspaz's last post then I'll stop derailing this thread :p

It's actually my friend's. I think he got it for around $1k plus shipping to here which was maybe another $200-300. I just built it for him but I will get unlimited use off of it just need to supply my own filament. :D

Ah. Wonder if he knows you can build one for ~500$

Won't the prebuilt ones have better resolution/calibration/whatever it's called?

But are the results of manual calibration as good as a prebuilt model?

ARG

I don't see why not.

The pre-built ones have to be tweaked before use anyway, as shipping will rattle it around a little.

Hmm, I might consider building one, then. Never bought a pre-made one because shipping gets complicated.
Would you recommend a kit?

ARG

Kits

The i3 kits from there are good. Get the magma nozzle, or a similar all metal nozzle. The PEEK ones are not as good.

benmwv

Whats you experience with extruder nozzle size?

I would think smaller would mean better resolution, but then why does 0.4mm seem to be more popular than 0.2mm or similar? Are there some complications with a nozzle that size? Is it simply choice of print time vs resolution?

ARG

More stuff getting jammed in smaller nozzles, longer print times and the gain in resolution isn't really noticeable unless you compare side by side.

Last edited:

Tmack

You guys really need to stop informing me about more things to sink my money into :/ wish I was joking

Im still not impressed with the outcome of most 3D printers to invest in one just yet. From all the videos I have seen and the piece of printed plastic on a RC part I have it just feels way to fragile to me. Ill give it a few years for more advancments to come before I take the dive. Now if I could inly get me a CO2 laser cutter I would be set until then :)

Kits

The i3 kits from there are good. Get the magma nozzle, or a similar all metal nozzle. The PEEK ones are not as good.

Will look into that, but it still seems to have lots of big parts. Do you remember how big/heavy the package was?