Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DTR's Laser Shop - Laser Diodes & More

DTR

^^Paul, 7675 should have landed yesterday. Let me know if you got it.

Tore apart one of these star show yard lights for a bit of a upgrade. Pretty simple takes 12mm modules with a clamp design to secure the lasers and has a 5V power source so several units I will try 490nm Sharp, PL520, PLT5 450B and a Oclaro 120mW 638nm. Thinking I might do a 490nm and the 638nm. I am not sure though if I will have to trick it to think the lasers are still connected to keep the motor running as was going to just bypass the circuit an wire to the 5V switch.

Hi, Jordan. I got it yesterday and finished the build today. It looks much better. Thank you.

Yikes Jordan....You'll blind Santa's Reindeer with that customized Christmas projector !!!

Hmmm....MIGHT be best....after the " Laser Turbo Upgrade "....to mount that Puppy....on a 12' pole....get the beams UP....so as to not be at pedestrian ground level eye level....and what about random propagation....into your house thru windows ?????? Could be....dicey !!! unless...you are uplighting a tree....hmmmm….that would be Da Schiz !! The tree would serve as the 12' height....and....the projector would be pointed up....

OH Crap...NO....Un-Terminated and un-monitored beams....up into the night sky...…...not unless you live on the shores of the Hudson Bay in Canada....I thought about supercharging one'a these Christmas Projectors.....Nice how you are doing it....BUT ...Wada shine it at ???

Added Note: Hmmmm ???? Perhaps the average PO per beam....when divided into ….oh...1000 beams is low enough....as to not cause concern ???
Dunno….but a neat project !!

CDBEAM

DTR

Oh yea that is the plan the trees terminate and they start out above eye level. I did not trust the power the way they came last year so that is already how they are set up. I measured the board driving the diodes and the 650-660nm diode is getting a little over 160mA and the green around 360mA.

Tested with a 490nm and it is considerably brighter but am now going to throw a NUG I have here and a Ocarlo 700mW 638 in the first one. Have about five of them.

Was planning on ditching most everthing in there but after realizing the motor was a stepper I have to keep it and now need to figure out how to bypass all the switches and sensors. On this anyone know which chip has the stepper motor programing? Thinking it is the smaller one. Want to try ant just activate that to turn the motor and power the diodes directly from the 5V in using flexdrives sinked to the top of the laser mount for both the NUG and the Oclaro.

Last edited:

DTR

Getting there. It is for sure brighter.

mN_M71.gif

GSS

So So So Cool:)
I have to ask a stupid question, will it stand up with no fan cooling outside on a cold night like the original setup?

Hi Jordan,
Came out great looking good , your ready for Xmas now. I have 2 R/G stage projectors I found in work . One the Red is out might try to repair it . Thanks for the post..

Rich:)

Looks like fun (y) I remember doing this and mixing with other effects too, here's a couple of old pics with an upgraded unit and a double grating, sorry for the poor quality.

rcbmemRG529.jpg

rcbmemRGdgandspiro56.jpg

Last edited:
I got a projector like that one in the travelling box of laser goodies started by Jmillerdoc about four and a half years ago. I ended up giving it to my daughter as I thought she might have more use for it than I did. Nice job swapping out the diodes and drivers in yours, Jordan.

DTR

So So So Cool:)
I have to ask a stupid question, will it stand up with no fan cooling outside on a cold night like the original setup?

Had it running for about an hour last night and held up ok as for the lasers. The red was getting a little faint but the green was trucking on. That was inside room temp.

Hi Jordan,
Came out great looking good , your ready for Xmas now. I have 2 R/G stage projectors I found in work . One the Red is out might try to repair it . Thanks for the post..

Yep but not done yet. Just put the second grating back on.

Two issues the unit has a 5V 2A(rated on it) adapter and I adjusted it so the unit is drawing just at 2A and the thing can not handle it so will need to upgrade that and the bigger issue is I can not get the unit to activate the stepper motor. Here I am turning it by hand.

There has got to be a way to bypass the sensors and tell it to turn on. Anyone have any ideas.

Looks like fun (y) I remember doing this and mixing with other effects too, here's a couple of old pics with an upgraded unit and a double grating, sorry for the poor quality.

Looks great. Wanted to start with one that has some power but will do one with some different colors next.

I got a projector like that one in the travelling box of laser goodies started by Jmillerdoc about four and a half years ago. I ended up giving it to my daughter as I thought she might have more use for it than I did. Nice job swapping out the diodes and drivers in yours, Jordan.

Yea so far the swap was easy keepiung getting the motor going is being a pain. Not sure what I did to it to make it not want to work. First thing I did was just unplug both lasers and powered the unit to make sure there was not some safety or soemthing that would stop it form working if I wired the new lasers directly to the switch bypassing everything.

Anyway now the dual gratings is on there it is nutty bright.

It looks bright from your photos. I think the lasers they came with were very low power. Even the green was under 50 mW and was a 532nm DPSS laser at that. Don't really know what might have happened to your motor driver, but if it continues, it might fail altogether. That would make it easier to troubleshoot.

Hi Leeman,
I you need a N465 diode I have one from DTR brand new never opened as was delivered to me from DTR. Let me know if you want it It will be the same price as the original from DTR's Laser Shop.

That was a very nice offer, Rich. That is what I like about this place the most. We mostly try to help each other out whenever we can.

Hi Paul,
I purchased the N465 and never did anything with it and its still in the original packing as it came from Jordan. So if Logsquared wants it it's his and I will ship it.