Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dragon Lasers doesn't sell handhelds anymore?

They changed their 589nm options, and were out of stock of a bunch of things, now the laser pointer section shows "page not found". If this is true that would be really unfortunate. They had really nice lasers particularly 589nm and their GLP 532nm pointers.

Also other than laserglow which is overpriced and doesn't ship to the US above 5mW is the last place I know of to get a 589nm handheld without special order like CNI and even they don't ship to the US over 5mW unless it's a module only and even then it's difficult.

Edit: Confirmed they will no longer be selling handheld lasers.
Capture2.PNG
:(

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I get the old "page not found" too. That's too bad, up until very recently they still had some handhelds for sale, looks like another loss for the hobbyist.

They still show a few pictures of handhelds in their "Gallery". :)

Buy a module and put it in your own housing or have a host made.

This says out of stock not discontinued, they may well get more in stock once the ncov dies down.

Also they do have a few pointers in stock so have to wait and see, I bet they make more when able.

Last edited:
They changed their 589nm options, and were out of stock of a bunch of things, now the laser pointer section shows "page not found". If this is true that would be really unfortunate. They had really nice lasers particularly 589nm and their GLP 532nm pointers.

Also other than laserglow which is overpriced and doesn't ship to the US above 5mW is the last place I know of to get a 589nm handheld without special order like CNI and even they don't ship to the US over 5mW unless it's a module only and even then it's difficult.

The hand helds are no longer because some of their lasers were being used by protesters in HK against police.

Have you seen the prices? Almost $400 for 10mW 589nm, no thanks.
Yea I wouldn't pay that either, but if someone is in a panic then get it before it's gone (((((( FOREVER )))))) lololooolllllolol

The hand helds are no longer because some of their lasers were being used by protesters in HK against police.

Even if they can't sell them in HK I expect they will still sell them elsewhere, also they would say discontinued or something, just says out of stock.........time will tell.

Last edited:

yoonie

Might be related : I ordered a Viper 55mW in sept 2019.
At that time, Adam from DL confirmed they already stopped to sell any 80mW,100mW or 125mW Viper
And that all the viper series will be soon discontinued.
"Have fun with it.
Viper lasers are going to be out of market soon.
"

I guess it was not only the Viper...
... I know it's sad

Snecho

They're just re-branding the site for them 589nm direct diodes 🤣

Buy a module and put it in your own housing or have a host made.

This says out of stock not discontinued, they may well get more in stock once the ncov dies down.
good idea actually with the modules. yeah man i was listeing to NPR about that CoronaV, they say it could be years untill they have a antiV, crazy man

Encap

I do not hink "protestors" are the reason. If "protestors" were the real reason the China government would stop sales of pointers by more than one small insignificant reseller in a relatively obscure town.
Low annual sales $s, profit, and volume of pointers and pressure from CNI is a much more likely the real reason.

Dragon Lasers is a CNI reseller whinin China--sells only CNI made lasers ---
CNI stopped selling any hand helds into the USA market way back in 2015 because the US FDA regualtors got on their case and told them to stop--they were shipping product illegally into the USA --products that did not comply with USA FDA laws, rles, and regaltions concerning imprting of lasers.
As a result of the FDA investigation of CNI's practices, CNI was put on the "red" list, Import Alert 95-4 with USA Customs by the FDA 2/12/2015. See them, Changchun New Industries Optoelectronics Tech. Co., Ltd, listed here: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_254.html wherein it says:
"*** Districts may detain without physical examination (DWPE) all shipments of the same product as was originally found violative such as laser pointers, laser gunsights, laser levels, laser pointer key chains, laser light show projectors, and similar products (covered laser products) from the manufacturers/shippers listed on the attachment to this alert.

In addition, covered laser products are subject to detention if, among other reasons, an examination shows they do not appear to comply with the appropriate standard as follows:

(1) The laser product does not have a permanently attached warning logotype label;
(2) The laser product output exceeds 5 milliwatts;
(3) The laser product fails to contain certification or identification information either on the product or in the instructions for use;
(4) The laser product fails to contain instructions for safe use;
(5) The product class or output information on the laser product's warning logotype label is different from that in the instructions for use; and/or
(6) A product report for the laser product has not been submitted. *** "
From FDA Import Alert 95-04

Undoubtedly CNI want to be removed from this "red list"--laser pointers were only a very small percentage of thier overall laser business and the FDA action tarnishes their reputation, integrity, and business operations, 99% of which is to International Distributors, other Businesses, and Laboratories of lab type lasers which are CNI's actual $$$ generating products.
I am sure CNI put pressure on Dragon to stop as it makes CNI look bad , sanctioning/selling pointers for resale to a business that repeatedly violates US FDA laws , rules, and regualtions with your products makes CNI look like they supply Dragon for the purpose circumventing FDA rules and regualtions. In short helps keep CNI on the "red list", not get them off the "red list".

*** In order to remove a firm from detention without physical examination, information should be provided to FDA to adequately demonstrate that the manufacturer has resolved the conditions that gave rise to the appearance of the violation, so that the agency will have confidence that future entries will be in compliance. For example, when appropriate, the request should include information for FDA to adequately assess whether the manufacturer's quality control and testing program is in compliance with the Electronic Product Radiation Control Act (Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, Chapter V, Subchapter C) and 21 CFR 1010.2 and their laser products comply with the Federal Performance Standard for Laser Products (21 CFR 1040.10 and 1040.11). In addition, under 21 CFR 1002.10(k), the importer must provide other information CDRH may reasonably require to determine whether the importer is in compliance with the Electronic Product Radiation Control Act and applicable standards.
From FDA Import alert 95-04

Best idea---buy a CNI laser module from Dragon Lasers, which they do sell and can supply, and put a pointer together yourself or have one of the LPF builders assemble it into whatever host you like.

Last edited:

cmak

I’m in the market for another (backup) “50mW Spartan“ (PGL-III-M-50). I was lucky enough to receive what seems to be a good unit (though I’d love to have an expert throughly inspect it) from the last of DL’s. What disappoints me deeply (can include screenshots) is that Adam had answered my question re: continuity of 589nm Spartan availability affirmatively, then DL turns about face and shuts down EVERYTHING (portable). Sad day. But hey at least I’ve FINALLY obtained one, after dreaming for only about eleven years or so… 🙏🙏

Time to consider an LPM…?