Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Don't post illegal and moronic ideas

anselm

I would then propose to also remove all threads regarding using lasers as (self defence) weapons. Doing so would probably be illegal, and certainly unsafe...
That's the conclusion most of those self-defense threads came to,
so I think it would be better to leave them there for everyone to see.

I suppose thats a good point - so we should delete any topics that consider using lasers to commit crimes.

I would then propose to also remove all threads regarding using lasers as (self defence) weapons. Doing so would probably be illegal, and certainly unsafe...

i've always been a cautious person, so i agree with that too ben. I know forums are supposed to promote discussion, but i'm selfish in the aspect of not wanting "bad publicity" for my hobby. I've spent too much money to have it banned LoL.

michael.

Benm

Why would you leave threads that, by responses, indicate that using lasers as self defense weapons is a bad idea, but at the same time delete threads that show that using laers to defraud arcade machines?

Shouldn't the latter threads also remain with comments cautioning against the practise?

I don't want to force any moderation in this regard, but i dont think it requires careful consideration!

Bixler

Sorry about the post guys but I guess I should have done a better job wording it (forum posting while a little drunk with bad enough writing skills as it is!) I went back and read and noticed I worded it a bit half assed and failed to fully explain what I was getting at, but heres my explanation.

I just want to start off saying I really do appreciate your real input on the thread about posting "illegal" stuff, and I believe in general the subject warrants more in depth discussion to maintain integrity and like you said keep this hobby from being associated with illegal actions (I personally take this very seriously).. I think people misunderstood what I was getting at or failed to understand the process of how the game works.. It uses a laser that clamps down on a rope that burns for what seems to be about two seconds to slowly cut a the rope when lined up properly, do that about 5 -6 times and whammy IPOD!. I wasn't implying that you use your own lasers. I actually went as far and posted a disclaimer saying NOT TO USE YOUR OWN LASER! It can blind you and its possibly illegal to do so since you would be defrauding an arcade machine out of its goodies. I was merely asking "what other arcade games do you win using a laser?" games that use laser implemented parts as a basic function of the game IE Time Crisis using a gun putting out a low powered infrared light to track location of where the gun had been shot not sure if it uses a laser but again thats why I made the post.

Although I did see after re-reading the post and seeing how it could be misconstrued. Honestly if you are seriously worried about illegal actions being associated with the LPF and the laser hobby itself (trust me I do to) then I would spend more time monitoring posts openly discussing ways to sneak lasers pointers and etc past customs. Even if I had created the thread with the intention it was mistaken for. Discussing ways to bypass items through customs is far worse. Again sorry for the misunderstanding hope that clears some stuff up!

Things

Interesting thread, I appreciate how it has been kept civil so far :)

Checking through reported posts is a huge task. Unless its spam, I always read the whole thread before making any actions. This takes time, and with over almost 20 reported posts a day, it takes a while. I'm speaking for myself here, though I'm sure the other mods do it too, but I keep an eye out for threads that _could_ pose a problem to the forum or its members.

Now that LPF is a LLC, every member is liable for their own actions, not the forum, however that doesn't stop LPF being associated with the "point lasers at aircraft" group.

Banning threads about everything illegal would be impractical. Who here in the US owns a laser over 5mW? Or in Aus, 1mW? You'd end up banning 3/4 of LPF's user base.

There is a line between what is allowed and what isn't, though that line is usually drawn by the admin or moderators discretion.

I know Bixler didn't mean any harm by his thread, though people need to remember that this is the internet - Every man (and kid) and their dogs can access it. People get the idea they can buy a laser to get free stuff (Without also realizing the dangers), then they end up blinding someone or being caught "hacking" the machine. More bad publicity for pointers.

Bixler

Thanks for the civil discussion Things, appreciate it! Glad to see you've seen it from both sides. Not that its any of my business or my choice, but in my humble opinion there are more civilized ways to go about alerting and discussing the consequences of taboo topics without having to label it as "moronic" which is quiet insulting especially when it was merely a misunderstanding. It's a very effective way of deterring people away from whats a user generated and partially user funded (correct me if I am mistaken I just assume thats what the donations bar is for.) Again maybe i'm just taking this a little to close to heart :p since what was the presumed meaning of the post was a misunderstanding from the get go! I was just trying to spark up a harmless discussion of arcade games with lasers implemented as a regular mechanic of the game! Thanks again!

Same here I agree 100%

i've always been a cautious person, so i agree with that too ben. I know forums are supposed to promote discussion, but i'm selfish in the aspect of not wanting "bad publicity" for my hobby. I've spent too much money to have it banned LoL.

michael.

So what about those "My lasor tattoo", or "I was drunk with my laser" threads?

They pop up every now and then, and I know its not necessarily illegal to engrave your own arm with a laser, but I do feel wholly embarrassed to see threads like that floating around the forum.

i have no official duty or responsibility here (or anywhere really). but all my responses in this thread are my personal opinion of how i think is a way to preserve this hobby.
i don't have all the answers and never claim to. i just stand by my opinion that posts that google will pick on that show how to defraud vending machines is not good for business.
and bixlor, you don't have to be sorry. this is an open forum. it was just my personal opinion. but thank you for taking it seriously.

michael.

daguin

So what about those "My lasor tattoo", or "I was drunk with my laser" threads?

They pop up every now and then, and I know its not necessarily illegal to engrave your own arm with a laser, but I do feel wholly embarrassed to see threads like that floating around the forum.

To paraphrase Maggie in Hook --

"They need a mother, very, very badly"

Peace,
dave

^ Hehe, good point. I think that over_the_top topics/posts get removed fairly quickly. There will probably be border-line issues on a case by case basis, and it's not always a cut and dry decision making process. :)

anselm

Moral of the story/Lesson of the day:
When you're drunk, stay away from your class IV laser.
Oh, and refrain from posting on the interwebs too, especially LPF.;)

DrSid

Well, whole idea of 1W lasers is illegal in some place and slightly moronic anywhere.

DrSid

I would do that with my >1W 445nm .. but that would lead to another such thread .. :umbrella:

I certainly agree the post in question was in regards to something illegal (stealing is always illegal).

That being said I don't think it's a bad thing to have those posts up. If you managed to read the thread before it was deleted then you would know that we not only pointed out the legal issues, but also all of the safety issues in regards to his 'idea'.

I also don't think it's very likely anyone would actually get away with what the poster mentioned. The massive amount of light generated by a laser capable of burning that would be a dead give away that would draw all sorts of attention to the area. I suppose he could use an invisible wave length, but that increases all sorts of other risks involved.

Anyways, in short I agree that the idea was silly and illegal, but I think having the warnings of the dangers involved in such an idea have merit.