Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does anyone even care about 473nm anymore?

There are some laser televisions on the market and they are supposed to offer the best picture quality, best level of color, and best response for fast action, Im not sure what blue projector thier useing but maybe it will be 473nm or close and if so then in time prices will come dwn as production goes up, however the casio uses the 445nm, in any case until the prices come down I will only see 473nm beams in video's and at the laser show, right now the cost is unreal.
Now what I would really like to see are some 500nm, 555nm, and 600nm units at a decent price, with 555nm being the center of the visible spectrum you would get the most visible beam for any power and 500nm is such a unique and beautiful color, 600nm would be very visible and more eye safe.

seen this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYeOzhbxiKM

A nonlinear cavity dumping process is applied for the first time to generate kW peak power pulses at 491 nm. The system is based on efficient sum-frequency mixing of 1063 nm and 912 nm radiations in a BiBO nonlinear crystal placed inside a Nd:GdVO4 laser oscillator with a high finesse cavity at 912 nm. The nonlinear cavity dumping process is triggered by high peak power nanosecond pulses from a 1063 nm Q-switched Nd:GdVO4 laser operating at 10 kHz. To reach the kW range at 491 nm a key point is to Q-switch the high finesse 912 nm cavity instead of continuous wave operation. Thus, the peak power (9.3 kW for 3 ns pulses) and the average power (280 mW) obtained at 491 nm are 14 times higher than the one obtained when the 912 nm laser operated in continuous wave... quoted of course

Last edited:

OVNI

I care. Was just looking for some last night. Found this and said 'whoa' at the price, $580. Just like Styro does at 1:18 in his video. This cracks me up everytime I watch it! :crackup:

So that was the only one I found after spending more than an hour looking for 473nm laser pointers last night. Then I found this post this morning. Good timing. Would be nice to have one where I can see the beam (at night only OK) for under $200. Too much to ask? :thinking:

EDIT: Oops. I see the last post is 4 months old. I gotta start paying more attention to that :undecided: OP PM'd.

Last edited:
Under $200 for any dpss 473 is way too much to ask for unfortunately. You're looking at about $300 to get into one no matter what.

Under $200 for any dpss 473 is way too much to ask for unfortunately. You're looking at about $300 to get into one no matter what.

You might be able to get a used 473nm for around $150-$200, some have actually popped up on the forums but they were rare occasions.

Chicxulub is pretty much right on. 473nm while becoming common, sill isn't cheap enough to be able to get with 1 or 2 Benjamin's :)

-Alex

OVNI

True, I should have specified new ones. :)

:thanks: Chicxulub and Hap for the quick replies :beer:

OK then, 3-5 Bens or 1/2 a Large (as my old druggy friends/relatives would say) :rolleyes: Gonna have to watch my dimes and quarters (and hope), and as another old friend (who became a CPA) used to say, the dollars will take care of themselves.

Sure is a nice color :drool:

OVNI

It's my second favorite after 589 tbh. It's an absolutely gorgeous sky blue! I've got one that does 18mW on a good day, and I'd like to have something with a bit more oomph to it. Ten years ago, it was really strong for a 473, but these days, it's a bit under-powered. :)

It's my second favorite after 589 tbh. It's an absolutely gorgeous sky blue! I've got one that does 18mW on a good day, and I'd like to have something with a bit more oomph to it. Ten years ago, it was really strong for a 473, but these days, it's a bit under-powered. :)

Same! I used to own a 473nm, but unfortunately got rid of it :p

-Alex

I bought mine with my enlistment bonus for joining the Army way back in 2006. I'll never sell it or get rid of it even if it breaks because of what it symbolizes for me. :) To be honest, by today's standards its a piece of junk, but I do not care! lol

Gabe

You might be able to get a used 473nm for around $150-$200, some have actually popped up on the forums but they were rare occasions.

-Alex

Yeap, I'm one of those lucky few why snapped one up on the buy sell trade section. Always keep an eye on there once in a while, some amazing offers come up. £100 GBP, and nobody was bitin! I think if I had waited five minutes longer it would've been someone else's. Seriously, get to know the forums and people, work up your reputation, then browse BST. You might get lucky! :)

OVNI

Well in addition to a 473nm laser I have also been looking for a beam expander that fits well onto its host. Found this from Jet Lasers. ~$500 + s/h for 100mW + BE.

I've read here, but forgot where, that they will ship here and people get them. Still true and what's their reputation? Seems to have exactly what I want.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd get a DPSS 473nm these days. You can get very close to that by pushing some diodes, plus you get a lot more power and stability.