Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does anyone even care about 473nm anymore?

I wish violet was more visible, it and 473 and 488 would be my favourites. but 455 isnt a bad substitute if you cant afford 473, its still a nice colour.

Now 473nm is moved into the "exotic" blue categories, for us pointer hobbyists at least.

I never could afford 473nm, but even with the 445nm I would still like to acquire 473nm someday. It should be a lot easier with everybody selling their 445nm for dirt cheap prices. :D

I... am not following that last logic step you made there :undecided:

Sorry, probably should have said brighter beam:) if you have a 445nm laser and a 473nm laser at the same power, the 473 will appear brighter to the human eye, because it's closer to the middle of the visible spectrum. So, the beam would be better:)

edit: oops, didn't see your rep power, you probably knew the last part:p

Last edited:
Although I at first bemoaned the apparent obsolescence of my RPL-30, I was quickly convinced that these cheap diodes are no replacement for the true laser hobbyist. 473nm is indeed a "collector's colour", and due to it's rarity and expense will always have intrinsic value no matter how cheap the diodes get. Hell, I ordered an Arctic as well, just for the new colour. One day I'll get a nice orange as well, hopefully.

Those rainbow sigs don't happen overnight y'know... ;) (Unless you're filthy rich I guess)

Cheers, CC

According to my opinion there's still a long way to go for the 445nm diodes. Just compare the beam specs of the blue diodes in comparision to a real 473nm "DPSS" system. As with the green ones I like this nice narrow beam and the good divergence.

But how knows - let's wait until we've found some good (and effortable) optics to enhance the quality of the blue diodes...

I've already tried to "clean" the beam - different lenses, prisms etc. - but still no satisfying results...

mojo

Although I at first bemoaned the apparent obsolescence of my RPL-30, I was quickly convinced that these cheap diodes are no replacement for the true laser hobbyist. 473nm is indeed a "collector's colour", and due to it's rarity and expense will always have intrinsic value no matter how cheap the diodes get. Hell, I ordered an Arctic as well, just for the new colour. One day I'll get a nice orange as well, hopefully.

Those rainbow sigs don't happen overnight y'know... ;) (Unless you're filthy rich I guess)

Cheers, CC

Very well put! And it does take some time to aquire the 'rainbow' lol...

Ive been away from the forums for a few months, but wanted to chime in on this one. I just recently found out about 445nm. Its amazing how things change so quickly. As one member said they remembered when everyone wanted a 473nm laser. Last week I found out about the hype surrounding the arctic.. I was shocked that a laser with that wavelength and power was available. I don't have a 445nm yet but I can say that i still love my 473nm and its def. my favorite in the collection. Not sure how many of you have seen this vid, its not the best but shows off the beauty and color of 473nm. Ill never forget the feeling I got when it came in the mail. : ) Thx again Glenn. Now i just need a 589nm and ill be even happier. Btw feels good to be back haha.

Link: 473nm YouTube
-Greg

I love my 80mW 473nm, it makes a good match for my 405nm, & if I EVER get my ARCTIC, I'll have 3 different "BLUE" colors !!!!

I also have three yellows, a 589nm, a 593.5nm, & a "HYBRID" yellow from combining "RED" & "GREEN"

With my 290mW RED, & several greenies, I'll have a pretty complete "RAINBOW" of laser colors !!!!!!

Last edited:
in the old thread that was closed everyone was like "they shall never develop blue anywhere near 1W" and "1W blue is not for mere mortals like us" etc lol. i guess no1 really has any true idea of where technology is going, because all predictions are based on the further development of what is already available and cant take into account new discoveries.

I have bunches of 405's, quite a few 445's a I have a multiline argon and DPPS 473 labby on the way. If you old me last month I would pretty much have the blue end of the spectrum covered I would have laughed and said "I wish :D "

Now if the argon and labby would just get here!

Now I just need a 589 and a 671, and some HeNe's and I'll have just about every easily obtainable color :D

Yeah, gas lasers are a great way to add to your collection, some great wavelengths there. Im still looking for a 612nm and a 594nm bare tube HeNe.

But 445nm cant even touch 473nm IMO, just two completely different colors, love the teal look of 473nm after using 445nm. If the new blue diodes replaced anything, it was 405nm violet. I used to love bluray, now I dont even use my blurays anymore, well maybe once in a while.