Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do you type dvorak?

Do you type dvorak?

• No

Votes: 27 58.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • What?

Votes: 13 28.3%

• Total voters

nope, I think after like 10+ years of typing on qwerty I'd go nuts learning a new layout

nope, I think after like 10+ years of typing on qwerty I'd go nuts learning a new layout

Interestingly, it wasn't hard to learn.. I mastered it and was back up to my QWERTY typing speed in about two months. I was surprised. I started out learning QWERTY by the hunt-and-peck method, but dvorak pretty much forces you to learn to touch type since all the vowels are on the home row of your left hand and all the most commonly used consonants are on the home row of your right hand.

do you use the american dvorak or the british. and do you use left or right hand?

Yeah, same here. I never tried dvorak, after all these years I don't think I can type faster than the speed I reached currently.

Benm

Supposedly your querty habits can be overcome quite rapidly, even if its years of experience. I think the transition period would be difficult though, as i type intensively every day for work as well.

Also, switching back and forth when using clients, friends etc systems would be pretty bothersome.

I guess it depends on what you type if it has much use too - most things i type are either email correspondence or program code, and the latter is not limited by typing speed in any way.

I've used dvorak for a while before I got my G15 keyboard. Found it alot better to use than QWERTY after a month or so. Would go back but prefer my G15 keyboard over an old beige one.

Benm

Why would it matter what kind of keyboard you use for typing dvorak? The letter/key assignments are a matter of software, so that should work on any keyboard... obviously you dont get the right key labels, but what would be the point of those if you aim on rapid (blind) typing?

what the hell?? so strange!

800px-KB_United_States_Dvorak.svg.png

800px-IBook_with_DVORAK.JPG

My WPM is over 90, there's no way I could use this.

I can get 65WPM if there's no numbers, and the text is relatively easy. Usually I type at around 45WPM. CBF learning Devorak.

I tried for a month or two, but I decided I didn't type enough to warrant learning a new system.

I can get 65WPM if there's no numbers, and the text is relatively easy. Usually I type at around 45WPM. CBF learning Devorak.

It's not even so much a matter of tying speed, but mostly typing comfort... In dvorak, all the most commonly used letters are right next to eachother, right under the natural placement of your fingers... It's optimized for the english language, to make your fingers move as little as possible. I used to have carpal tunnel syndrome from my poor typing habits in QWERTY, but since I've switched to dvorak I can type literally all day and my wrists never get sore. Granted, I can now type 65wpm when in qwerty I could only do 30 or so, and sure, the worlds fastest typist uses dvorak, but still the comfort of using it was the big thing for me.

Supposedly your querty habits can be overcome quite rapidly, even if its years of experience. I think the transition period would be difficult though, as i type intensively every day for work as well.

Also, switching back and forth when using clients, friends etc systems would be pretty bothersome.

I guess it depends on what you type if it has much use too - most things i type are either email correspondence or program code, and the latter is not limited by typing speed in any way.

Yeah, actually typing code can be somewhat awkward.. Dvorak is optimized English dictionary words... A lot of function names etc don't follow English letter frequencies. Still no worse than QWERTY though.

As for moving between the two, it's not so bad now, though when I first started out it was annoying. Now, the only time I get confused is when I sit down at a computer and begin to type a word that starts with M or A, since these two letters are in the same place in both layouts, I usually end up typing the rest of the word in the wrong layout... Which leads to me writing emails that look like kjg;w ismrpdkdpt glhdigrjdoanpdeee Gy tsf jah ls ghda G ktrdh gl h.soav tsfqh kjglv G ,a; ja.glu a ;dg/fod so ;smdkjglue

Has anyone tried it on a mobile device? I've tried it on an iPod touch and it was surprisingly easy, actually - in 15 minutes i could type reasonably well. Never tried it on a desktop. I've never "learnt" typing and I don't use "home-row" systems, or any specific technique, and my speed is reasonable.

Kenom

god why am I not suprised that a MAC would come out with a keyboard ya couldn't freakin type on until you learned how to type in Dvorak.. STUPID. No more stupid than the I-pod craze.