Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do you trust DIY lasers?

wow, 19 yes and 0 no, i think its pretty clear everyone here trusts DIY lasers. well at least right now it is.

jayrob said:
scope got a laser from just about everyone but me. :'(

That's it, I'm no longer going to be building lasers... (not unless I'm alone or with someone) :D
Jay

I am sure jayrob builds are among the finest, I think it's just a coincidence I haven't any of his builds... yet!

:) ;) :D ;D :eek: ;D :D ;) :)

I own factory lasers and DIY lasers (Jayrob) and in 1969 built a HeNe with my father. I can say without fear of error, DIY lasers in a lot of instances are of HIGHER quality due to all the testing the DIYer does in order to make a viable product. Jay's lasers are of superior build quality to many lasers I have seen and owned over the years. His fit and finish are on par with parts built for aerospace use. I should know, I have owned and run medium sized manufacturing concerns over the years. One thing is certain when you buy a DIYer, you will know every step of the build from the very beginning until you receive it. If and when it needs repair, you know where to go and who to talk with in just about every instance. I wouldn't hesitate for one minute to give a DIYer my business. After all, that is how many large laser companies began themselves.

ixfd64

Wow, I'm surprised that so many people are willing to buy DIY lasers!

By the way, I have some suggestions for people who sell DIY lasers:

1. Consider making a website for your sales, preferably one that uses its own domain name. This may expand your business to outside of laser forums. For example, High Tech DealZ is run by an individual seller, but it looks like a company's website. Don't, for heaven's sake, use free webhosts GeoCities. Outsiders tend to have negative images of them.

2. Make sure your lasers have safety labels on them. Some DIY lasers look like flashlights and people who don't know they are lasers might accidentally shine it into their eyes.

3. Create a brand name for your laser. This isn't absolutely necessary, but having a cool brand name may attract people from outside of the forum you're selling them on. Oh, and don't use your username as the brand name - that's just uncreative and full of vanity. For example, if I sold DIY Blu-Ray lasers, I'd probably use the name "Polaris" instead of "Ixfd64's Blu-Ray lasers." :)

I have a home-made laser made by a forum member, and I'm quite happy with it. Honestly I'd rather buy from a respected diy-er here on the forum than someone selling diy lasers on Ebay. (not that some people don't sell both here and on EBay)

I definitely trust DIY lasers from many members of the forum! If they were not legitimate sellers, they would be found out and exposed here very soon.

-Mark

what ixfd64 said isn't that bad of an idea, but it should be like an LPF store or something where like all the DIY lasers are all listed in one place on one big product list instead of individual threads

Kenom

I agree that it all depends on who you purchase said DIY from. Scope hasn't got one from me either there Jay don't feel alone!!
Ken

ixfd64 said:
Wow, I'm surprised that so many people are willing to buy DIY lasers!

By the way, I have some suggestions for people who sell DIY lasers:

1. Consider making a website for your sales, preferably one that uses its own domain name. This may expand your business to outside of laser forums. For example, High Tech DealZ is run by an individual seller, but it looks like a company's website. Don't, for heaven's sake, use free webhosts GeoCities. Outsiders tend to have negative images of them.

Here in the US it's not quite that simple. Almost all of the DIY lasers I've seen, (and ALL of the ones I've built) are > 5mW. They are thus- illegal to sell. Setting up a website would get one a visit from the FDA methinks.

I do agree that labels are a good idea. But I also wish there were DIY hosts available with CDRH mandated safety features like key-interlock...

cheers,
kernelpanic

p.s. as to the original poll, I have found the build quality of DIY lasers to consistently be higher than mass-produced ones. I think it is because the DIYer cares about what s/he is producing while the factory worker cares only that their paycheck clears.

wheee! 100 posts ;)

artix

kernelpanic said:
Here in the US it's not quite that simple.
kernelpanic

Here in Canada, it is that simple! No laser import laws! :D

Artix said:
[quote author=kernelpanic link=1226200889/20#27 date=1226362408]

Here in the US it's not quite that simple.
kernelpanic

Here in Canada, it is that simple! No laser import laws! :D[/quote]
true but Canada isn't the US. WOOT USA USA!!

jayrob

scopeguy20 said:
I am sure jayrob builds are among the finest, I think it's just a coincidence I haven't any of his builds... [highlight] yet![/highlight]
:) ;) :D ;D :eek: ;D :D ;) :)

I like the 'yet!' part. :D

Check this one out...

Grant Stiles3 11-11-08 .jpg

Jay

Kenom

Hahahah now all ya gotta do is throw some flux on that. Tin it with some solder and nobody would be able to tell the difference!!!