Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do you carry your laser as self defense at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TECHNICALLY speaking, it's no more a laser pointer, cause the lenses turns the "beam" in a large "conical rectangle" , and this is permanent, so the agents cannot claim you're using a laser pointer .....

I would disagree with this. It obviously depends on the viewpoint held by specific judge, but it would be very difficult to legally distinguish a laser "dazzler" from a handheld laser "pointer".

In general, people are very wary (if not downright scared) of lasers (sometimes for good reason). This is why all devices (at least in the US) which use any form of laser light require a warning sticker regardless of power output or actual safety issues. I would not be surprised if laser "pointers" and laser "dazzlers" would be grouped into the same category of handheld laser "device" regardless of the lens they use to focus the light (especially if it is homemade like the ones so many people here create).

A professionally designed, legally approved "dazzler" which cannot be modified to produce a collimated beam may be legal, but unless there is a standard for this where you live, you have to assume that all handheld laser devices would be included in the same category.

A well designed dazzler could be an effective tool, but it would not be wise to use one unless you are sure about the legal interpretation in your area.

HIMNL9

^ Yes, basically this is the reason for which i have done the second using a high power led ..... the module is permanently modified, but, as i said, judges stupid enough can be easily found, here, so no reasons for risk ;)

BTW, there is no way for build a LASER dazzler that cannot be turned in a pointer ..... regardless the architecture you use, the "core" is still a laser assembly, so all that what you need is the appropriate lenses system :D

sesam

Choose a long lazer pointer with a really big copper heatzink, that should be heavy enought to hit the attacker with, if he attacks you.
Don't use the lazer to blind him that would probably only make him more angry, and you can't really use it before you are sure you are being attacked.
In a close combat the laser are useless cause you need both your hands defending your selfe.
If you feel unsafe get a big dog or start training self defense, this are better options if someone want's my opinion :eg:

LaZeRz

Why would you carry a laser with a large heatsink as a weapon?

Why not just carry an actual weapon? Can't be any more illegal :p

HIMNL9

Illegal ? ..... why ? ..... just for a stick ? :whistle:

SZ926795TS.jpg

:)p :D)

Last edited:

sesam

Why would you carry a laser with a large heatsink as a weapon?

I do not think you shall carry any weapon, but some places in the world are more dangerous than Sweden.
Personally I think that learning selfe-defence is the best way, it also prepars you
mentally for most situations,
And if you can outrun them "DO SO" cause you never now howe the judges will rule in a self-defense case in court.

BTW, there is no way for build a LASER dazzler that cannot be turned in a pointer ..... regardless the architecture you use, the "core" is still a laser assembly, so all that what you need is the appropriate lenses system

Very true. I should have said "not EASILY modified" (by turning a focus ring or something similarly as easy). Best to stick to flashlights or bright LED dazzlers if you chose to use light for self defense. I would much prefer the "Stick" though... ;)

Last edited:

tony1

What if you are overpowered by someone stronger that you and uses the laser against you. He may have come to know that you are carrying one and ambush you. The world we live in is unpredictable. God save us all from the evil.

What if you are overpowered by someone stronger that you and uses the laser against you. He may have come to know that you are carrying one and ambush you. The world we live in is unpredictable. God save us all from the evil.

Only you can save yourself ;)

tony1

Well said Ryan.
True ,the proses of saving oneself begins with defending oneself but whether he succeeds or not depends on his fitness condition and the environment which is totally under GOD'S control. All the best Ryan.

vk2fro

I dont carry a laser for self defence or a baton or a handgun.

I just carry a 4700uf 500VDC capacitor with low ESR and yell to my assailant "catch".

Instinct usually makes 9 out of ten people catch the object - in this case packing a punch of 235 joules, about the same as the low shock setting on a defibillator.

of course I am kidding - a bean can sized cap would leave some horrible marks on the back of my ipad knocking around in the backpack. Usually my travel is between here and the next suburb over. Its well lit, a short 5 minute walk, and there are 4 pubs and a restaurant along the way - all of which I know the staff reasonably well, so can duck in without buying a drink/meal if I feel threatened, and have a yak with the staff, or just drop in to see if anyone is there I know.

When I meet a group of thugs, i just set my phasor to wide beam "stun"..... if they get up again after that and keep coming, its already set to kill for the next shot ;)

I dont carry a concealed or otherwise weapon, and dont carry a pointer. Theres no need for me to have my pointer outside the house, especially in this nanny country where they are a prohibited weapon.

Last edited:

Fiddy

I dont carry a laser for self defence or a baton or a handgun.

I just carry a 4700uf 500VDC capacitor with low ESR and yell to my assailant "catch".

Instinct usually makes 9 out of ten people catch the object - in this case packing a punch of 235 joules, about the same as the low shock setting on a defibillator.

of course I am kidding - a bean can sized cap would leave some horrible marks on the back of my ipad knocking around in the backpack. Usually my travel is between here and the next suburb over. Its well lit, a short 5 minute walk, and there are 4 pubs and a restaurant along the way - all of which I know the staff reasonably well, so can duck in without buying a drink/meal if I feel threatened, and have a yak with the staff, or just drop in to see if anyone is there I know.

When I meet a group of thugs, i just set my phasor to wide beam "stun"..... if they get up again after that and keep coming, its already set to kill for the next shot ;)

I dont carry a concealed or otherwise weapon, and dont carry a pointer. Theres no need for me to have my pointer outside the house, especially in this nanny country where they are a prohibited weapon.

LOL! stay away from redfern bro!

Merged consecutive posts

I don't keep a laser on me for self defense, I sometimes keep one on me for pointing around and stuff though.

I most certainly agree, good sir:D
Lasers are for pointing, lightsabers are for selfdefense...

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the dual-purpose LG Hercules. It is a very powerful, stable laser, but it can also be used as a self defense bat! ;D

HAHA:D
That was fun as frick;d
GJ on the jokes Drake

I do not think you shall carry any weapon, but some places in the world are more dangerous than Sweden.
Personally I think that learning selfe-defence is the best way, it also prepars you
mentally for most situations,
And if you can outrun them "DO SO" cause you never now howe the judges will rule in a self-defense case in court.

NOTHING is more dangerous than Sweden.
Ever heard 'bout mooses?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure a 1W 445nm laser would would very well as a self defense weapon.
Not against someone with a gun though.
If I saw sombody running at me or someone that was about to try to hit me with a blunt object or a knife, I would pull out my laser and shine in right in his eye.
Very quick eye damage, they might not be hurt but they can't see shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.