Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY Laser Cutter Project

anselm

Re: My holiday project :D

MEEP MEEP

Awesome!!
Sorry if I don't have anything better to say, consider this simple approval and encouragement.:beer:

Last edited:

Things

Hehe.

At the moment it really isnt calibrated, but I'll get to that once the CO2 is in.

DSCF2181.jpg

DSCF2182.jpg

Last edited:

Things

Size test:

Small.jpg

Speed test. Took 2:07 to write this from start to finish:

Speed.jpg

Detail test:

Detail.jpg

Remember this is using a 445nm laser, not sure what to expect from the CO2 yet.

Things

Alright well, I had a bit of a problem where my axes wouldn't line up perfectly every time, however I've fixed that and the machine is working beautifully. Still haven't mounted and aligned the CO2 yet, so still using the 445 for these:

laserruler.jpg

DSCF2225.jpg

DSCF2223.jpg

Cheers,
Dan

It looks like its providing some good pieces already. That 10cm box looks like a rectangle to me :yabbem:

This is a very cool project. Thanks for showing us this build step by step. it's cool to see your project coming along and working now. Thats Looking Good Man.

Things

It looks like its providing some good pieces already. That 10cm box looks like a rectangle to me :yabbem:

Probably just the way I've taken the photo, I did measure both sides and they are 10cm.

A video of it operating would be sweet, Things :) Very nice work on the system ! +1

anselm

Hmm, so I'm guessing right now you've got the 445nm diode mounted directly on the mobile head
of your machine, instead of using the system of mirrors you'll eventually use once you go CO2?

I'm just wondering how that focussing issue will work out once you have the beam reflected
around over varying distances until it hits the workpiece.
Or are you just going to keep the beam focused at infinity?

I wonder how big the beam's diameter is, coming out of the tube.

Last edited:

Hmm, so I'm guessing right now you've got the 445nm diode mounted directly on the mobile head
of your machine, instead of using the system of mirrors you'll eventually use once you go CO2?

I'm just wondering how that focussing issue will work out once you have the beam reflected
around over varying distances until it hits the workpiece.
Or are you just going to keep the beam focused at infinity?

I wonder how big the beam's diameter is, coming out of the tube.

That is what I was worried about, I would assume that he is keeping it focused to infinity to the head and then focusing it there to keep the focal point consistent. I'm curious to see if the beam itself diverges enough to effect the focal point from one end of the table to the other.

My 20W tube had a beam around 3/8-1/4" round, not exactly a small beam!

Good work on the Mach3 Roadrunner though Things! Plus it's good to see that you didn't drown or anything either :D

Dan ---
Make sure to COOL that tube -- they will crack easily.

The output of gas lasers usually is with good divergence. The local shop using lasers here have a 1.5" Dia. x 5" FL ZnSe optic as the focus lens. That's at only 1.3 KW of CO2 !!

HMike

Things

The focusing lens is the last thing in the optical train, and will be adjustable. The divergence of the beam over the table will not be much at all. The divergence on gas lasers usually top any solid state lasers easily.

Well I haven't really posted because I have nothing to add....save.....I have followed and enjoyed your whole progress from design errors through to great trials with the 445nm.

Its projects like this that really get my creative juices flowing....now only if my wallet could just keep up!:beer:

Thank you for posting all your progress and I am looking forward to seeing more!

Sorry if this has been answered over and over but i can not find the info.
HOW do You connect the PSU to the computer? I think i have the same PSU as You.
http://www.jinlantrade.com/eBay/40W Laser Power Supply/Manual.pdf
I would like to be able to adjust the power from my computer AND turn it on/Off.

I figure i connect one of the TTL to the computer for on/off but how about the powersetting? the manual says "through PWM control (magnitude being TTL voltage level)" and i do not understand this.

I hope someone can explain this to me.

Best regards /Ulf