Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Direct Diode Lasers in Various Colors in 2 different Power Levels

I wonder if there is interest in getting Lasers in various Colors in the fairly inexpensive Wavelengths ?

Nichia makes a lot of Blues and of course
we have Osram 515nm and there is a Japanese 635nm which is fairly inexpensive.

We may be able to set up a Group Buy where there is a number of differerent Wavelengths each with a specific Price and hopefully a low power and higher power option.

Prices may start quite low ..under $75. to $100. for more common colors and higher for the more expensive Diodes.

More experienced Members can tell me which Diodes are available at low / reasonable prices and how much for the
462nm there are Nichia Diodes in Aqua Blue etc.

I think Max at Lazerer will be willing to do these builds but not sure how far he will go on exotic Wavelength Diodes.

I am interested in 5mw personally in a few
Colors and some Diodes may not Lase at
low power ...but 635nm will ...and 515nm ..and 520..and some higher wavelength Blues will go quite low.

Those who want 30 to 100 milliwatts will probably have more options.

Cool Colors at say $75 to $100 to $200.
depending on Diode availability and cost....who is interested.

Lazerer had a 473nm at $299 but aren't there Direct Diodes near that Color ( 468nm) that would be cheaper builds ?

Interest...? Opinions ?

I would really love t see a real 5mW green laser without IR is out there so that I can fell comfortable to play with.

Z Bolt Lasers have a Blue Diode with true less than 5 milliwatts various models glass lenses and some ruggedized 5 mw greens and blue which are waterproof and continuous duty etc.

I am thinking of getting one or two for my first Laser.

Green 515nm[ direct ] Green 532nm Blue 450nm [ direct ] in CR123 or pen style etc.

I think they ALL have IR Filters even though the Direct Diode Models generate very little IR.

The more rugged hosts are similar to the 5mw Lasers Z Bolt sells to the Military.

They also have a 635 mw red but no visible beam like the Green and Blue.

I think these have a long range for 5mw Lasers...so be really careful pointing at Sky etc. If you get one.

I am learning all about FAA regulations before I even buy one....

You don't want a true 5mw blue laser. I built one. It is all but useless. It must be really really dark. Even then, it isn't that bright. You can see hardly it in any lighted condition. Not unless you are looking very hard. You can't see it at all for presentation purposes as any projector will wash out the dot completely. The 20.00 "5mw" 450nm laser from laserlands is overspec but works well. (Shipping takes about a month though)

The green 515nm Osram laser diodes are excellent and can be had for about 20.00 for the diode. I'd love to get a cheaper price on those diodes.

I'm also interested in the 638nm diodes, what was the model you were speaking of?

Last edited:
Here is the Blue 5 mw - notice they specify visible night beam - they refer to a Japanese InGaN Direct Diode...maybe Nichia ?

http://shop.z-bolt.com/Sapphire-Galaxy--Extreme-Duty-Blue-Laser_p_301.html

And the Green 515nm which is probably the Osram Diode.
Notice they use an IR Filter even on a non doubling design.

http://shop.z-bolt.com/Emerald-Galaxy-XT--Extreme-Temp-Green-Laser-14-122F_p_451.html

My point is that IF these Diodes are fairly inexpensive and there is some demand...
Max at Lazerer will build them into either of his Premium Hosts..

At 5 milliwatts for people like me and higher wattage for Power Users ( literally).

There is a 635nm Red Orange also but no visible beam at 5 milliwatts.

I think the Z Bolt Blue is visible at night due to the Diode and Glass Lens....they list it as 445nm to 455nm - maybe it is more like 455nm which explains the visibility as an Astronomy Pointer even near City Sky lights ( not pitch black).

Last edited:
Here is the Blue 5 mw - notice they specify visible night beam - they refer to a Japanese InGaN Direct Diode...maybe Nichia ?

Sapphire Galaxy - Extreme Duty Blue Laser

And the Green 515nm which is probably the Osram Diode.
Notice they use an IR Filter even on a non doubling design.

Emerald Galaxy / Ruggedized Green Laser for Astronomy

My point is that IF these Diodes are fairly inexpensive and there is some demand...
Max at Lazerer will build them into either of his Premium Hosts..

At 5 milliwatts for people like me and higher wattage for Power Users ( literally).

There is a 635nm Red Orange also but no visible beam at 5 milliwatts.

I think the Z Bolt Blue is visible at night due to the Diode and Glass Lens....they list it as 445nm to 455nm - maybe it is more like 455nm which explains the visibility as an Astronomy Pointer even near City Sky lights ( not pitch black).

There is no way I would trust the output to be 5mw. They are claiming a visible beam at 450nm... not without fog.

Razako

There is no way I would trust the output to be 5mw. They are claiming a visible beam at 450nm... not without fog.
You can see a <5mw 450nm beam without fog. I have a measured 3.7mw 450nm pointer and I can see the beam alright in a dark area. It's not super bright, but it's there. Helps if you let your eyes adjust to the dark.

Last edited:

Pman

I would think you would have to have a lot of particles in the air to see a 445-450nm at under 5mW. Don't think I have anything to test that though. Have a 520nm at that output that I could try and see the beam though. Could have sworn I could just make it out. This is an expensive CNI unit and although you are not supposed to rely on your Ophir reading that low it agrees with the CNI output test.

Z-Bolt 3-5 mW BLUE laserpointer? - Equipment - Cloudy Nights

@Pman- yes I would really like to know about your high end CNI 520nm 5mw regarding beam visibility outside and inside in the dark.

That is a Review of the Z Bolt Sapphire ...these are APC and glass lenses ..they say you can see the beam outsidd in Colorado and even Cambridge Mass so not pitch black.

The Green 5 mw 532nm have been sold in large numbers to the Military in IRAQ Afghanistan etc..so maybe the cheaper 5 mw are not the same.

I also wonder if the Blue may be a little higher wavelength than 450...

They have a 635nm Red which they do not say has a visible beam.

I like the fact that off axis at my end or the OTHER end of the Beam the Green will be hard to see more than 20 to 30 feet from the side.

Although it sucks that there are not many videos showing off axis visibility.

Fo example IF I point at a cloud 1 mile up or .5 miles up with a 5mw Green-

A pilot 2 to 5 miles away at a 45° to 90°
Angle should not even see it - right ?

People a block away on the Ground should not see it either- but hard to be sure...

I do not want to be using a 5 milliwatt outside with a Plane anywhere but one COULD appear over horizon or somewhere before I shut it off.

So 5 mw should be good and also a Blue will really disappear off axis.

Interested Pman if you can see your 520 nm 5 milliwatt outside.

Some of the Diode Direct Lasers have a 2 or 3 millimeter wide bar or ellipse shaped beam which would reduce brightness a lot ( Candela) at 5mw.

1.1mm Round beam versus 1.1mm X 3.0 mm beam = about 35% to 50% lower Candela in the Beam on the off round beam...right...half as bright or so ?

But with a glass focus lens- looking is best way to tell.

Everyone says the good Astronomy Green 5mw have visible beams at 5mw 532nm .

Not sure if the better Diodes ( Nichia Osram) in 515nm 520nm are brighter or more diffuse ?

I imagine that a 473nm or 488nm are very visible- beautiful colors too...wish I could get a 488nm laser 5mw for $200 in 5mw or even a 473nm for $200.

Last edited:
You can see a <5mw 450nm beam without fog. I have a measured 3.7mw 450nm pointer and I can see the beam alright in a dark area. It's not super bright, but it's there. Helps if you let your eyes adjust to the dark.

See if you can get a photo of that, without fog. 450nm does look brighter to me than 445nm.

I would expect only 515nm, 520nm, 532nm to have a visible beam at <5mW.

I have a 635nm that is 4.9 - 5mW and it has a bright dot but no visible beam.

Alan

I am only guessing and reading but I can guess a big difference as you go up from 445 to 455 and there isva 462 nm Direct Diode .

I think my favorite Color judging from Pics would be 473 472 488 and some Orange Yellows, - hopefully these will lower in price..and lase at 5 mw.

Z Bolt specifies no Beam on their 635nm 5 mw.

One Review [ there are very few ] said the 450nm Beam had a blue / white type look outside - sounding like it is a longer wavelength than 450nm - right ?

I emailed the Company for more info...

But for exotic Direct Diode Colors and even DPSS 473 nm Max at Lazerer might be the best one IF he can get the Diodes cheaply.

Once you get up to 462nm and above all the way to 600 615 nm or so - I imagine 5mw is visible if well focused
Nichia and Osram have Aqua and Cyan Blues....not sure if they are really expensive but $150 to $ 300. for Aqua /Cyan is not impossible ,right?

Lazerer had a 473nm for $300 but not available now.

My PL-515 is running right at 5mw. I can see a beam outside at night on some nights. Full moon with no cloud cover and really dry air, it isn't terribly visible if at all. More often than not I can see a beam though.

My 638nm Pen was a 5mw from O-Like, it has a bright dot but no beam without fog. I have misplaced it or it was stolen while at work. I'll be ordering another for sure.

My custom 5mw Blue is a 445nm so MAYBE that extra 5nm is enough to matter and get a visible beam. I wouldn't hold my breath though. My LaserLands "5mw" I have not metered and I do not believe it is below 5mw. (Even though guessing isn't recommended I'd say closer to 20-40mw)

My PL-515 is running right at 5mw. I can see a beam outside at night on some nights. Full moon with no cloud cover and really dry air, it isn't terribly visible if at all. More often than not I can see a beam though.

My 638nm Pen was a 5mw from O-Like, it has a bright dot but no beam without fog. I have misplaced it or it was stolen while at work. I'll be ordering another for sure.

My custom 5mw Blue is a 445nm so MAYBE that extra 5nm is enough to matter and get a visible beam. I wouldn't hold my breath though. My LaserLands "5mw" I have not metered and I do not believe it is below 5mw. (Even though guessing isn't recommended I'd say closer to 20-40mw)

Thanks VERY much for this info !

All the damn Youtube Vids - not much info or demos of TRUE 5mw on axis and off axis.

So maybe I should play it 'Safe' and get the 532nm which will almost certainly be visible in humid air AND get the 450 nm Blue which SHOULD be Invisible to ALL from more than 50 feet from EITHER end of the Beam.

So no one will see it but me outside ...

Do you think your 515nm is less visible due to color OR less Collimated than a 532nm ?

And are you getting a full 5mw ?

That Diode is OSRAM right? Should be a good beam ?

Also if you read the Astronomy Laser review above in my Link he mentioned the Blue looked Visible but about 1/2 to 1/3 as bright as the ZBolt Green even in City sky.

Also mentioned the Blue looked kind of "white" I wonder if it's actually more like a 462nm Diode - it is a low temperature Blue Diode from Japan...maybe Nichia...maybe a bit higher than 450nm...

OR Zbolt could be full of crap...they have no Beamshots or Reviews on their Site - weird huh?

Also - I appreciate all your experiences and accounts of what you are getting from true 5mw Lasers - very hard to get reliable info- these Z-Bolts are constant duty with APC - so maybe more stable than 'duty cycle ' lasers.

Last edited:
Thanks . I wonder about the new Sharp Diode Lasers at 488 nm they are way overspecced. Do ANY of you guys have the ability to dial one of these down to just visible beam at night but not too bright ?

About 10 mw max maybe a tad over 5mw.

I would buy 2 send them both you tweak one way down and send it back and keep the extra one !

Good deal ?