Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dealextreme 50mW red is actually a 635nm red laser !!

Bummer they're not 635 but everyone knew they likely wouldn't be but an over speced 50+ mw pen for $20 shipped is still a great deal. Thanks for organizing this and hopefully they all clear customs safely.

jakeGT

I dont see how customs could distinguish between a 50mW red and a 5mW red

Do they have an lpm? Haha

Thats the only reason i brought it up...you said it was a problem...its a problem for both the ruler method and ur spectrometer.

The first part of that quote is you need two or more known wavelengths to calibrate it, and not all LPF users have two or more non-diode wavelengths. Spectrometers come factory-calibrated.

ahh!

Even so, you dont need any wavelength to calibrate the ruler method...to recalibrate a spectrometer, yes, u need a know wavelength (Hg spectrum, or sodium, or H, or a He-Ne).

For the ruler method, its a something that does not depends on calibration curves, so no calibration needed! :) Its just point, measure, calculate->repeat with different conditions for better accuracy!

For the ruler method, its a something that does not depends on calibration curves, so no calibration needed! :) Its just point, measure, calculate->repeat with different conditions for better accuracy!

In a perfect world, going by the math only, your correct. However in the real world... no. There are too many variables that come in to play that would require calibration with known wavelengths to be used as a reference. Temperature, prism or grating material, beam input angles not being perfect, etc will all vary the result to some degree.

DJNY

Bummer they're not 635 but everyone knew they likely wouldn't be but an over speced 50+ mw pen for $20 shipped is still a great deal. Thanks for organizing this and hopefully they all clear customs safely.

They must invest years for unpacking them :eg:

Townes

Not 635nm after all, huh? What a surprise.

Fools. If you had listened to a voice of reason instead of whining, you might not have wasted your money. Neg rep me all you want, but you still know it's true. If only DX knew all it has to do is spread rumours in this place, it's sales would probably double overnight. *facepalm* My opinion of the laser community here just plummeted.

You know, I'm thinking about buying a 10mW 635nm pen myself. It may be a few times as expensive as those 50mW DX 650s but it's actually rated as 635 in its own category so I actually know I'm going to get what I want and having NOT wasted my money like you lemmings did, it will ease the cost.

Here's some advice: stop letting things go to your heads and try listening to opinions other than what you want to hear. Critical thinking is so important; without it, we are just sheep.

Funny.. You assume we're all crying our eyes out because they aren't 635nm.. though interestingly, I haven't seen a single post of anyone getting distraught about it since it was announced that they were 650nm..

I personally will ENJOY my new 650nm 50mW pens, and I imagine everyone else getting them will as well. It'll be the highest power red i'll have in that style of host... I in no way consider my money *wasted* and I doubt anyone else who participated in this does either.

So go crawl back in your hole Townes.. Because you know what? If this wasn't tried, then well, the chance of any of them being 635nm would have truly been zero.

Like all good things in life.. No risk.. no reward. If you never take risks, you must lead an extremely boring life.

Last edited:

Townes

Not distraught (obviously) but still dissappointed about not winning the prize.

If you will enjoy your 650 or were going to buy one anyway then, of course, you're not one of the people I was talking about. Apart from the whining, anyway; so why did you in the first place?

My hole? If you're talking about my low post count, it's because I keep my comments above a certain quality and don't spam.

It WAS zero. It should be obvious to you now that there was never any chance in the first place and saving $12 wouldn't have changed that.

They're called calculated risks.

I think most of your posts in this thread are likely below your 'quality' line. It's not really any of your business what other people spend their money on, and everyone who did spend money in this buy knew the risks.

After all I highly doubt you'd enjoy people you didn't know telling you you were wasting your money when you spent it on a *hobby* that you *enjoy*.

Last edited:
Funny.. You assume we're all crying our eyes out because they aren't 635nm.. though interestingly, I haven't seen a single post of anyone getting distraught about it since it was announced that they were 650nm..

Yeah...I also didn't see or post anything about being sad and acting like a child because these pens were not 635nm.

I personally will ENJOY my new 650nm 50mW pens, and I imagine everyone else getting them will as well. It'll be the highest power red i'll have in that style of host... I in no way consider my money *wasted* and I doubt anyone else who participated in this does either.

And yet again qumefox takes the words right out of my mouth. I agree with everything stated in this previous paragraph.

So go crawl back in your hole Townes.. Because you know what? If this wasn't tried, then well, the chance of any of them being 635nm would have truly been zero.

And fyi Townes, when he says go crawl back in your hole he means your troll hole. I have never posted about trolling or bad behavior before on this or any other forum...but the two previous posts from you are a good definition of what trolling is, and this I cannot let pass. You are posting negative and untrue comments about other members actions (or lack thereof) expecting and wanting responses to them. All this just so you can continue to harass other people...it doesn't seem like a nice thing to do.

So Townes, please stop trolling. I think everyone would appreciate it. Thanks.

Edit:

Qumefox posted while I was typing this...and what he said in the above (previous to this one) post I also back up entirely.

Last edited:

Townes

Hey, I never actually told anyone not to join in on the group buy. It's your fault you didn't notice that. What I did do was try to make people think about what they were doing. What I got in return was whining. Apart from the rep I got from Cyparagon (which I thank him for), not one person had anything to say in agreement (apparently it was more important that I was corrected when I suggested 535nm diodes cost >$100) and, of course, it turns out in the end that I was right all along. What do you think that says about you?

Delivering criticism of a gullible, overzealous & overly consumerist community is perfectly righteous. I get to have my say.

You don't know me. You don't know what I would or wouldn't like to hear but I will tell you what I would and that is reasoned logic. If I wouldn't like to hear it, I would be in denial; I would be at fault; not the person speaking the truth.

Edit:
@viperx1101
I didn't say anything about anybody being sad but let's face it, it's not like they would have bought one anyway. They were convinced to part with their cash for a reason that was never realised. My intentions were good and although I failed, you should really be thanking me.

No. You're just slapping a troll label on someone to automatically discredit them. THAT is bad behaviour. Try accepting some criticism instead. Just admit I was right all along.

Last edited:
Edit:
@viperx1101

No. You're just slapping a troll label on someone to automatically discredit them. THAT is bad behaviour. Try accepting some criticism instead. Just admit I was right all along.

No, not to discredit, just to let them know their comments are not appreciated or accepted positively in light of the thread topic.

I do not want to fight with you, so I leave the rest to you.

Edit:

I actually went back and re-read the post you got rep from Cyparagon. I am a math and science person, so I do appreciate logic and rational. That post was very well though out and I do agree with everything you said. No arguements from me there.

What I have responded to now has been in recent light of your current posts. Those posts which basically are "I told you so!" posts. And the "I told you so" was not expressed in an adult like manner, more of a negative nancy kind of way.

If your posts had been expressed in a mature context without the unnecessary name calling, then I would have had no problem with it.

Last edited:

DJNY

Towned, you´re an idiot. At least this is the word people would call you here in Austria.

ALL of us knew that they are not definitely 635nm, but that there is a chance. The chance became smaller and smaller after other guys received their DX reds.

It was a gamble. A gamble where people couldn´t lose. There was always a price behind the curtain. And here the booby prize is a overspec 50mW 650nm.

I don´t see your reason for being gleeful, but it must be something deeper inside of you.

Edit: All pens are on their way :wave:

Last edited: