Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dead BDR-209

An X-Boost lasted that long at over 8 volts? Mine died almost instantly when the input voltage exceeded the voltage drop of the load by only 1 to 2 volts. That was with only one li-ion. I just accidentally had the jumper one diode too low on my test load.

Well, maybe I ordered the buck driver for it and forgot, don't know, will have to open it to see.

DTR

I have done a few with buck driver if you requested it. That is the only way I can see it surviving with two Li-ions in series.:)

Well, maybe I ordered the buck driver for it and forgot, don't know, will have to open it to see.
I think that is most likely the case. Mine didn't even pretend to work with a too-low load voltage. It immediately got stuck at 200mA, and will no longer go any higher.

I have done a few with buck driver if you requested it. That is the only way I can see it surviving with two Li-ions in series.:)

DTR, are the X-Boost drivers made by Lazeerer? I'm wondering if he might be able to tell me if I can repair it by replacing a/some components.

Also, what is the safest way to test diodes with a bench power supply? I just got a Mastech HY3006D, and I plan on testing it for the first time tonight with an Oclaro 638nm diode.

Last edited:

Peche

my power supply looks similar to yours OP. I've found that I have troubles using it to power boost drivers.

I set voltage to zero, then turn current all the way up then hook up my driver, then slowly ramp up voltage.

I'll be sending the laser to DTR so he can check it but when it comes back I'll try this method, by ramping the voltage I hope to say goodbye to any nasty transient.

distebia

Hello everyone and sorry if I reopen this discussion, in a month I burned 2 bdr-209. The first is the fault of the Chinese guy who set the driver for me at 800mA. Today I burn the second one and I don't understand how it happened... the driver delivers 500mA, measured with a dummy load (8x1n4007 + 1r 5W) and with an ammeter in series with the diode... The diode is mounted with its structure for cnc laser engravers , therefore copper heatsink + 40x40 aluminum + fan above, of those used for CNC lasers in short. The thing that leaves me perplexed is this... the diode is well dissipated, the current is within the 600ma threshold, so I shouldn't have problems of this type... the first bdr-209 when burned emits a very small purple light, even connecting the multimeter in diode mode, the second burnt today is as if it has a broken wire, it doesn't emit any light... any advice

loreadarkshade

This is crystal damage. This is likely due to overcurrent. These diodes were never meant to be run at such high current, therefore significantly reducing their lifetime. Diode life is inversely proportional to input current.

Use this cheaper sharp diode, much stronger too, can output up to a watt. This thing is a tank:

distebia

Grazie per la risposta..il fatto è che volevo assemblare il bdr-209 e usarlo per incidere foto con cnc, per via del piccolissimo spot e bassa divergenza, oltre al fatto che a 500mA mi dava 800mW in una porzione piccolissima. Attualmente ho il numb44 ma focalizzato ottengo un rettangolo, come una lettera i...oltre al diodo consigliato cosa posso prendere che abbia un piccolissimo spot e uscita singola?

loreadarkshade

Have a look at this: