Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dangerous IR

USAbro

So my green laser that has the square of IR just broke. Some how this little piece of lens or something broke off the front. I was just wondering why no light was coming out just because of that little lens. Then I stared straight into the laser. There was no green light coming out of it. Not any light. So I recharged the battery. Check again-no light. Then decided to look through my night vision goggles. Result-a SUPER bright beam of IR coming straight out, brighter than any flashlight I own in the shape of a square. I tried putting shining the laser at my wallet and it had the same smoking power. My eye doesn't feel bad now. Could something bad happen to my eye? I have tried to take an image through the NV goggles but it doesn't work.

EDIT: This is an image through my camera showing the IR. The night vision goggles show it way brighter though. That purple was light I can't see on the wall. The camera made it look purple I guess. That is the shape of the square I was talking about when the laser worked properly. I may discard of the laser or just not use it.

Attachments

• 100_8793.JPG
    100_8793.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

ARG

I was just wondering why no light was coming out just because of that little lens. Then I stared straight into the laser. There was no green light coming out of it.

The Darwinism is strong with this one.

NEVER stare into the aperture of a laser. Ever. Use a camera, they are replaceable, your eye's aren't.

Best get your eyes checked if you're worried.

USAbro

The Darwinism is strong with this one.

NEVER stare into the aperture of a laser. Ever. Use a camera, they are replaceable, your eye's aren't.

Best get your eyes checked if you're worried.

Well my eyes don't hurt so I'll wait I think. I thought is was off but I won't do that again. Good it wasn't focused. In this image is the laser and the little circle is the crystal. When I put that over the aperture it turns into green.

Attachments

• 100_8795.JPG
    100_8795.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16589

When I put that over the aperture it turns into green.

Don't mess with that without IR goggles. and maybe goggles for green light as well if that laser is as powerful as you claim in your Signature.

upaa27

Save that crystal it is probably a nd yvo4 or nd yag. Really sweet optics

Probably a good thing you dont trust our LPF sellers, you might have bought something more powerful and already blinded yourself.

Perhaps stop posting and do some reading esp. before touching any more lasers.:oops:

Last edited:

upaa27

Not really...its a 5$ crystal sandwich that is in every single chinese crap green pointer made.

Lol just remembered it was off ebay.

OP: it doesn't matter whether your eye hurts or not, pointing a laser that burns paper into your eye which focuses the beam even more is a VERY stupid idea.

Things

The retina has no nerve endings, it is entirely possible to cause damage and not feel a thing. IR also does not trigger a blink reflex, so it is extremely easy to blind yourself with.

kaunak

Damn. Your sig says it was a 150+mW laser, but I'd bet it was more around 80.(cheap ebay greenie) Still, that means you could have had up to about 300mW of IR going straight into your eye. Consider yourself lucky if you don't have any permanent eye damage.