Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

D Mag With Custom Head! - Bells and Whistles...

jayrob

D Mag with custom head:
More details here...

Note: Showing a copper one in the pictures, but I am not offering copper in the custom head any longer. The custom head shown, is available in aluminum. (just the normal Maglite heatsink is offered in copper)

DMag Custom 3.jpg

DMag%20Custom%208.jpg

DMag%20Custom%2013.jpg

X-Drive buck driver for a 2 cell build:

Mag%20D%2013.jpg

DMag Custom 4.jpg

DMag Custom 5.jpg

I can also make a knurled focus adapter, or a custom focus adapter as well. (send PM)
C Mag Custom 3.jpg

Options that you can do with this build: (voltage monitor option for single cell 'Stubby' as well as a 2 cell build) :D

For the Stubby, you can use any boost driver... (shown with the new SXB from lazeerer)

DMag%20Custom%208.jpg

Mag%20D%2015.jpg

DMag%20Custom%209.jpg

Mag%20XM-L%20T6%2032.jpg

* Blue - full
* Cyan - very good
* Green - good
* Yellow - low
* Red (or flashing red) - time to charge

Mag%20TEC%2010.jpg

DMag%20Custom%2012.jpg

DMag%20Custom%2011.jpg

Hope you like it! :beer:
Go here for pricing...

Last edited:

IsaacT

Lots of solid features that are hard to find in the hobbyist host! Nice job!!! I cannot wait to see some completed builds with this. I love how the color changes; looks sturdy and intelligent! +1 If I can

WOW THAT LOOKS NICE!!!! Ok I am leaning even more towards a stubby Mag with custom head now...

Do you match the custom head color to desired base mag color?

Also, if I get one of these I plan on drilling a 1/4-20 hole on the underside of the custom head (closest to the base as possible) to attach a camera tripod mount to. What is the thickness of one side of the custom head? It looks like it should be enough to get a few threads of 20 pitch threading in.

Last edited:

jayrob

WOW THAT LOOKS NICE!!!! Ok I am leaning even more towards a stubby Mag with custom head now...

Also, if I get one of these I plan on drilling a 1/4-20 hole on the underside of the custom head (closest to the base as possible) to attach a camera tripod mount to. What is the thickness of one side of the custom head? It looks like it should be enough to get a few threads of 20 pitch threading in.

I haven't gotten into annodizing, so just offering aluminum. Which looks really cool on black or silver! :cool: (IMO) Looks good on all colors!

Good idea about the tripod mount, but I wonder if there is some kind of heavy duty strap mount device that you can just wrap around it with tripod attachment??

That would be much better than having an extra hole in that nice custom head...

Last edited:

jayrob

I don't do any anodizing...

That's something you would need to get done elsewhere, but the silver Mag host is a nice match to the machined bare aluminum...

Those look great.
I have already found many of the flebay hosts switches can't handle the current that the new diodes need and 26650's are going to be needed for multi LD builds.
The mag light host has a lot of potential.

jayrob

Those look great.
I have already found many of the flebay hosts switches can't handle the current that the new diodes need and 26650's are going to be needed for multi LD builds.
The mag light host has a lot of potential.

Yes for a single cell boosting an SXB driver to give an NUBM07E 465 diode 4.5 Amps, you will also need a quality cell and large capacity as well because with the need to boost voltage, it will be drawing about 6.5 Amps or so from the battery and go up as the battery drains. (needing more current to keep boosting voltage as the battery drains)

For large battery capacity and high current you might like to take a look at the battery holder used in a Fenix TK75 flashlight, the extension tubes give 8.4 VDC each, add another tube of four 18650 batteries to your flashlight and double the run time as they add current capacity when stacked, not additional voltage.

18-8145_a.jpg

These extension tube and battery holders can be purchased for about 30 dollars each from HKequipment on ebay. Four 18650's in one of these holders (series/parallel) can add more capacity at 8.4V than two 32650 Li-ion cells in series, although larger diameter at about 45mm for the battery holder itself. Each holder contains two rows of batteries in series parallel, so what it produces is twice the voltage at twice the current of a single battery. The end of each battery holder has center and ring contacts to add another set of batteries in parallel doubling the current or capacity when adding a second stack, 33% more for a third and 25% more for a 4th. If the reverse polarity protection diodes are bridged over on the circuit boards of the battery holders, you can pull a lot of current out of these sets of batteries. If you go to the below link, you will see a builder modified his pack this way and was able to pull 3X 6.6 amps each for his three LED's, that's just under 20 amps which is possible with the right batteries and a second tube, by adding additional tubes you can probably pull much more.

To push the battery pack current higher the only two weak points I see in the mod is the diameter of the internal rods inside each holder and the amount of contact area for the spring fingers and center contact. I suppose, one could permanently solder these connections together and increase the diameter of those two brass looking rods inside each holder to allow higher currents without a failure, if the batteries will produce it.

Battery pack mods: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/33683

I'm investigating the possibility of having a heat sink/diode holder built for one of these flashlights. The end cap does not have a switch, my thought is to use the units rubber buttoned on/off switch as a momentary on switch to control the input to a SXD driver which can be turned on with a small voltage at low current, making a high current switch unnecessary. To remove the batteries to prevent the possibility of the unit being turned on by accident, or low current discharge, just unscrew the battery tube enough to disconnect power to the head, this method works well with my other flashlights with circuitry which put a small but constant drain on the batteries.

SXD driver: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/4A-SXD-Super-X-Drive-V6-Laser-Driver-NDB7A75-NUBM44-NUBM07E-/171690251341

Last edited: