Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Custom,corrected,NUBM08,Blackbuck,Adjustable,6w

Very nice work BBB. Great compact piece. I wish I had the tools to develop the skill to make a host like this.

Very nice work BBB. Great compact piece. I wish I had the tools to develop the skill to make a host like this.

Thanks buddy,

I got lucky with the lathe for a very decent price and happens to have a mill attached, But this build was planned months ago and slowly came together,

I just happened to do a video of this corrected 08 burning a cardboard bag at 10metrs, that was the intention from the beginning, compact and powerful burner, and I'm so happy with the results.

Last edited:
Beautiful build. Amazingly compact !!! Are both your Cylindrical lenses...PCX and PCV the same width ?? I think I read you used UV set epoxy to fix the C-lenses in place ?

Very good looking machining !! So...the battery tube is a press fit into the head section...right ?

Also....I see why you put a filter inside the Acrylic...but...it does hide the inner workings !! Hmmm....as an experiment....take a thin sheet of clear plastic...rough it up with steel wool...to make an opaque film...and see what that looks like ???...But...the blue film does add a nice splash of color !!!

What are the final dimensions of the build ??

Anyway...thanx for sharing !! No surprise that... IMNSHO...correcting the beam...is the only way to go !!

CDBEAM

Last edited:
Hi CDbeam
My cylindricals are from the latest group buy and they're not the same width, and yes the host is 2 pieces that press together just like the adj 470nm I did a little while back, it actually works very well if machined precisely,

I was going to use blue acrilic tube but could not find it in the right size, the optics compartment is very very bright and points directly to you face so I did need a temporary fix, I'll add a pic here of the optics,

Thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• 1483843779.654.jpg
    1483843779.654.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 1483845330.4213.jpg
    1483845330.4213.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 1483845364.3198.jpg
    1483845364.3198.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 1483846297.1253.jpg
    1483846297.1253.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
How is it being corrected, Can you explain this and what is being used a little more ?

Last edited:

diachi

How is it being corrected, Can you explain this and what is being used a little more ?

Do some searching for cylindrical lenses, telescopes, multimode laser diode beam characteristics and beam correction.

You'll probably get a lot of hits searching for "Beam correction" on the search bar at the bottom.

Hi!
Just type in 6x cylindrical corrected lenses in the search bar below, there is more than enough explanation if you are interested.

I'm gonna guess he got them from here

http://optlasers.com/en/14-cylindrical-lenses

As you may or may not know, the beam spots for these diodes are rectangular. The G-2 lens from DTR will focus the beam in one axis only, leaving you with a line-like beam spot. These cylindrical lenses correct the other axis of the beam.

The optical system for reducing the divergence of the laser beam at large distances.

An antireflective coating is applied to both surfaces of lens providing extraordinary light transmittance of >99,7 % for the whole 400nm - 700nm spectrum.

The lenses have been designed in terms of shape to ensure the best cooperation with the diodes listed below.

They can be also used with other laser diodes. If you have any questions regarding the proper selection of lenses to be used with your laser diode, please feel free to contact us.

The lens system is designed for 445 nm laser diodes:
1400 - 2000 mW Nichia (NDB7412T)
2000 - 3000 mW (Nichia NDB7875)
1400 mW Osram (PLTB450)
1600 mW Osram (PLTB450B)

A test of the optical system with Nichia 445 nm 1500 mW (NDB7412T) laser diode is shown below. Using this pair of lenses it is possible to reduce the width of the laser beam about 2 times.

5.jpg

Dimensions of the output beam spot at 10 cm distance without and with cylindrical lenses.

6.jpg

Dimensions of the laser beam spot without and with lenses at 10 meter distance.

Last edited:

diachi

The lens doesn't only "focus one axis", it focuses both, but it's focusing a stripe with a different divergence on each axis. One axis has a higher divergence than the other (the fast axis), so you can only properly collimate one axis using a regular lens. This results in one axis of the beam diverging much more rapidly than the other after the lens.

The cylinder lenses used above for correction only focus one axis, and thus when used as a telescope only expand and correct that one axis. The fast axis is actually smaller in the near field, but has a higher divergence. Expanding it gives you a larger beam in the near field but a smaller beam in the far field.

In the above example the fast axis is the horizontal axis. As you can see, it is narrower than the slow axis in the near field before correction, but much wider than the slow axis in the far field. After correction it's just as wide as the slow axis (Due to the expansion) in the near field and in the far field is now a similar size to the slow axis as the divergence of the fast axis has been reduced.

Last edited:
I'm gonna guess he got them from here

http://optlasers.com/en/14-cylindrical-lenses

As you may or may not know, the beam spots for these diodes are rectangular. The G-2 lens from DTR will focus the beam in one axis only, leaving you with a line-like beam spot. These cylindrical lenses correct the other axis of the beam.

The lens doesn't only "focus one axis", it focuses both, but it's focusing a stripe with a different divergence on each axis. One axis has a higher divergence than the other (the fast axis), so you can only properly collimate one axis using a regular lens. This results in one axis of the beam diverging much more rapidly than the other after the lens.

The cylinder lenses used above for correction only focus one axis, and thus when used as a telescope only expand and correct that one axis. The fast axis is actually smaller in the near field, but has a higher divergence. Expanding it gives you a larger beam in the near field but a smaller beam in the far field.

In the above example the fast axis is the horizontal axis. As you can see, it is narrower than the slow axis in the near field before correction, but much wider than the slow axis in the far field. After correction it's just as wide as the slow axis (Due to the expansion) in the near field and in the far field is now a similar size to the slow axis as the divergence of the fast axis has been reduced.
Thanks, I've seen other people do this but the apparatus used was much lager in size and one could say it was down right huge compared to what is used in this laser build ?

I'm using a G2 lens right now and I can see what you are talking about as I can focus one axis down very tight but the other will only go down so far at the point of max focus of the other and the beam ends up looking more like a narrow ribbon...

Would I be correct to assume that there are some power losses involved with passing the beam through additional lenses ?

Also it looks like there is less "noise"? on the now corrected axis over the non corrected axis at 10 meters ? If that is correct is that a property of how the light was originally emitted from the laser diode ?

Last edited:

diachi

Thanks, I've seen other people do this but the apparatus used was much lager in size and one could say it was down right huge compared to what is used in this laser build ?

Would I be correct to assume that there are some power losses involved with passing the beam through additional lenses ?

Also it looks like there is less "noise"? on the now corrected axis over the non corrected axis at 10 meters ? If that is correct is that a property of how the light was originally emitted from the laser diode ?

There are other ways to correct a beam like that. There are other optics that can be used. Not to mention you can do further correction than is being used in this handheld. You have a whole bunch more options when space isn't a limiting factor. ;)

Yes that assumption is correct, no optic is 100% efficient. No lens will pass 100% of the light being transmitted through it. No mirror is 100% reflective.

The "noise" is still there, it has just been "compressed" into a smaller space. There are ways to remove that too, but again, that involves a loss in power. Anything you do to manipulate a laser beam will result in lost power. There are always trade-offs.

Last edited:
Oh wow .. some months ago You told me that You was inspired about the Blue Balista project, and now, I must admit, I'm very inspired from Your build!
As they say, You are the student that surpasses the teacher! :crackup::bowdown:
Probably I will start another project, cloning something from this :thanks:

Richard.

Oh wow .. some months ago You told me that You was inspired about the Blue Balista project, and now, I must admit, I'm very inspired from Your build!
As they say, You are the student that surpasses the teacher! :crackup::bowdown:
Probably I will start another project, cloning something from this :thanks:

Richard.

Oh' thanks buddy yes your build is were the idea came from I was very inspired and I knew I could do something similar but much smaller, infact the first small 6X corrected custom laser,

Extra beam expanders don't appeal to myself so much but it could easily be added, Also it could have bean thinner but I have a thing for thicker aluminium
Hosts that look more solid and also helps a lot with heatsinking actually the whole front housing of the laser is a 5mm thick heatsink due to module being pressed in with a vice no set screws,

Thanks for enjoying my work,
I just posted a mini RGB module I built that turned out awesome and as soon as I figure out what diode to increase or decrease power to to get a better white beam it will be finished, Take look her if you like buddy!

http://laserpointerforums.com/f40/rgb-module-build-300mw-single-mode-100126.html

I might have been traveling and missed it, awesome work, I love the way you set those corrective optics inside the tube.

I got my 12X correction done and at 65 feet I get this after 20 seconds !

I'm happy with the results !