Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Custom 445 Build

ix551

10/22/2010 EDIT: NEW VIDEO AND PAINTJOB See below :D

Hello there.
I've been silently browsing the forum for some weeks.
Some time ago I stumbled upon the 445 diodes and since that moment I wanted to build a laser right away.
I have been browsing and seeking every piece of information I could in order to build it.
The pieces started to arrive and since the start I knew I wanted something different from the DIY lasers I've been seeing all around the forum.
I decided to do something a little risky and somewhat different with this project; I designed a Laser device, with a large heatsink, two 18650 in parallel, the ability to operate directly from a DC adapter and an integrated battery charger. All that in order to be able to use the laser for extended periods of time and without having to move around the batteries everytime they went dry.
First I got the module and the Heatsink, I successfully assembled them and did some tests.

1zpscjr.jpg

33w36yq.jpg

2sacg0n.jpg

The heatsink works OK, and the module could work fine without turning too hot for several minutes at full power.
Then I started to build the host, I found a dead dell notebook adapter which had the right dimensions to fit all the components inside.
I soldered every component together and tested it, everything worked great!
This is the result:

345xw9e.jpg

We'll take a look inside:

f1jper.jpg

I had two 18650 with tabs which turned to be quite handy, the batteries could be replaceable, but that's not an easy task :p
Here's a detailed shot of the insides:

zinnt4.jpg

BPCM stands for Battery Protective Circuit Module, the little thingie that prevents the batteries from overcharging or discharging, if you guys use another acronym please let me know. :p
The "Chg/Pwr Switch" Switches the battery and the DC input between the charger and the Laser module; when on, the Charging module is disconnected and the batteries power the Laser module, when off, the Laser module is disconnected and the device goes to "Charging mode".
Anyway, I can post an schematic on request if any of you guys are interested.
When the switch is on, the Relays automatically switches the laser power input from batteries to DC input when an 5v adapter is plugged in.

There are some outside detailed shots:

ouul36.jpg

242inbt.jpg

As you can see there's a key switch which adds more security.
When the Switch is on and the Key switch has been turned on, the status led turns on and the laser is fired when the button is pushed.

Hope you guys like it :)
I've been very excited and satisfied with how this thing went, I still got left to print a proper warning sticker, and some minor details.

video is here.
YouTube - Custom 445nm 1000mw Blue Laser

Also, i wanted to further personalize my laser, I decided to do a paintjob and it's warning sticker (long overdue), there are still some details left to do, but it's looking pretty awesome and unique as it is now :)
Here are some pictures:

25jyu52.jpg

2r77as4.jpg

I had some cans of white and clear paint laying around, blue and white look ok together imo, even though i've never seen a white housing elsewhere, so I know it's pretty unique if not just unusual lol.
I was thinking on changing the red led for a blue one but i decided to keep it so it'll be perfectly visible while using goggles.

Here are some more pics, the beam is visible in a lit room! ....damn, I love this little fellow :p

1zfq0qr.jpg

259et8k.jpg

Got some details to clean up...

So, let me see what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Kevlar

Very nice build! Impressive. I've been waiting for someone to make a portable with the built in charger option for the batteries, and you did it!! :eek: The option to power with AC and the key-lock are fantastic as well. +1 rep to you sir!

I ain't gonna lie, it looks like a taser or maybe a razor, but not a laser.

Pretty sweet build i also like the on Board charger circuit, Adds a nice touch to it. You dont have to keep opening it up.:gj:

Very novel design! You have a winner there. One small change I would make for another one, would be to use a shiny anodized or black anodized heat sink. I think it would kick it up a notch cosmetically. +1

Hmm, If I were you I'd use a much longer wires for the laser head itself, so you can move the heatsink head around and leaving the main "station"... well you know, stationary :D

It would be better that way so you can aim it more easily without having to hold the entire thing together with both hands.

I like your idea, build in charger and stuff, it's a great idea and nicely done too!
Have some rep!

ix551

First of all thank you for all the positive feedback!

I ain't gonna lie, it looks like a taser or maybe a razor, but not a laser.

Actually it does look like a razor :crackup: I just don't have a lot of options regarding materials.

Very novel design! You have a winner there. One small change I would make for another one, would be to use a shiny anodized or black anodized heat sink. I think it would kick it up a notch cosmetically. +1

Thanks a lot! I don't know how to machine aluminum nor modify computer heatsinks (yet), I hope to find a better one next time, this heatsink is the first/cheapest thing I could find on ebay, works wonders keeping the laser cool though

Hmm, If I were you I'd use a much longer wires for the laser head itself, so you can move the heatsink head around and leaving the main "station"... well you know, stationary :D

It would be better that way so you can aim it more easily without having to hold the entire thing together with both hands.

I like your idea, build in charger and stuff, it's a great idea and nicely done too!
Have some rep!

Thank you a lot, unfortunately this laser was done with a "glue and some screws" method, the easiest way to secure the heatsink to the adapter was superglue :eek:
I was also thinking about putting a camera mount below the adapter, it would also be great to put one in the heatsink and long wires just as you said, next time mayb.

Last edited:

Morgan

^That was the only part I couldn't see mentioned. The driver and setting.

Nice first go. You clearly did your reading before attempting the build. Well done.

M
:)

ix551

^That was the only part I couldn't see mentioned. The driver and setting.

You're absolutely right, here are some specs:
- 445nm LD on an Aixiz Module, Glass Lenses.
- Microboost Drive, jumpers set to max (~1000mA), pot turned to max also.
- Got no way at all to meassure output power, will post as soon as I find a way to.

Thinking about upgrading lenses, idk yet

I was wondering how well those heatsinks performed. I had been eying those on ebay too. Nice photography as well. Where'd you get the lock/key set for the circuit? That's a real nice addition. Finally, you can buy 18650 battery holders which might be more convenient.