Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Custom 445 Build

ix551

I was wondering how well those heatsinks performed. I had been eying those on ebay too. Nice photography as well. Where'd you get the lock/key set for the circuit? That's a real nice addition. Finally, you can buy 18650 battery holders which might be more convenient.

Thank you :)
The heatsink is great for its size, it works OK imo, but this is my first build so you may prefer to ask someone with a little more experience.
I got the key lock from a local electronics store, it costs like 3usd, PM me if you want one.
The battery holder would've been ideal lol... lucky me i had tabbed 18650 so it's not that bad :D

ix551

I've been using this laser for around a month.
Only charged it twice, batteries last forever :p
Using it with DC power gives a 5-10% power increase, still waiting for a way to properly meassure outpt power.
Burns like a beast, still having some trouble to light cigarretes.
It does fries fingers while you focus it lol, not a big deal tho.
hating the rectangular shape of the laser beam, not a lot of things i can do so wathever.
Really looking foward for a specially coated lens to further improve the laser performance, the 405 one looks great! saving some money.

Ezcal

Wow, this is a very cool build, great work!

I'm a big fan of white, so I like the paint job especially.

The fact that you integrated a charger and the ability to go DC is straight up awesome.

Excellent job. What's your next project?

Amazing build!

Really inspiring for beginners, and I bet even "vets" could learn a thing or two.

I also thought it was funny that after you polish the build by painting it in white, you still leave the tape on that holds the two halves of the case together!

Almost as though you want to retain some of the bodged-together look. ;)

The safety and charging features you've built in warrant real acknowledgement too, imo.

ix551

Wow, this is a very cool build, great work!

I'm a big fan of white, so I like the paint job especially.

The fact that you integrated a charger and the ability to go DC is straight up awesome.

Excellent job. What's your next project?

Thanks a lot!
i'm thinking about a portable fusion rgv laser, should be beyond awesome :D
and of course, beyond my budget :crackup:
someday soon....

kobi g

Nice build :) and intersting using the DELL charger case.
With this heatsink you even can go to 1.5W I think.

Cool one

Nice build :) and intersting using the DELL charger case.
With this heatsink you even can go to 1.5W I think.

Cool one
Heatsink does not have that much mass actually, I have two of those here, they are best used with fan or other means of airflow.

Mine will cool two red modules for my scanner. For blue, I got a bit more massive one, that appears to be cut out of green laser Aixiz style labby builds...

PA100351-1.jpg

That's the green and blue modules.

Let's see,... :rolleyes: Perhaps something for in the next bourne movie : The Last Stand, Operation Condor :pop:

ix551

Heatsink does not have that much mass actually, I have two of those here, they are best used with fan or other means of airflow.

Mine will cool two red modules for my scanner. For blue, I got a bit more massive one, that appears to be cut out of green laser Aixiz style labby builds...

Exactly, my heatsink looks big, but don't let it impress you, at 1W it works ok, at 1.5W (i'm feeling very tempted.. :D) I will not be able to use it for more that 2 minutes before it gets too hot, at least that's what I think. Should be fun to try it, my battery pack can take that load!

ix551

Today I got access to my university optics lab, I was about to measure the output power of my laser.
In front of me, an incredible, multi-watt rated LPM, everything was going great!!
Just to see that my laser has Led'ed on me.
sigh....
I think I just have to buy another 445 diode.
R.I.P. my dear diode
You failed on me :yabbmad:

Last edited:

ix551

Hi everyone.
After saving some money for some months, I finally bought another diode, my laser is finally working again!
I also purchased a lens cover and a 445nm AR coated lens to replace the old glass lenses i've been using, which upon further inspection, appeared to be coated for red lasers :S silly me.

I'll attempt to make some output power measurements really soon.

2emep1d.jpg

I'll just recharge this little fellow for now.