Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Crazy Host!!!?????

That's weird. Their population is mostly male. *shrugs*

Where did that particular statistic come from?

I thought they just gave ficticious characters female Western-sounding names and then any employee that was free would go attend to it as one of these names.

*pretend there's a sexist joke here - it wouldn't be funny if i made it*

This is usually true.. however most of the people i've had to talk to by voice means have been female.. And my ex gf, who happened to be chinese and worked for an importer in LA, the ratio in her office was 95% chinese girls. I think there was one guy who worked in her office. heh.

rhd

I'm guess he was making an unwarranted assumption based on the old cliche of Chinese families under the one-child limitation favoring boys.

Last time I looked at the issue, China's population was skewed male, but not to a statistically significant degree. I think like 52-48.

Alright, i didn't realise there was some controversy about that, i thought it was commonly accepted as fact. I first heard it from a Geography teacher a couple of years ago, i think. But they talk so much rubbish i should have disregarded it on that basis...

Fair enough, LPF corrects me once again. *sigh*

anselm

What really shocked me though, was that China's population growth rate is actually lower than in Canada or the United States
Why would that surprise you, or did they lift the one-child policy?

rhd

I believe that they did lift the one child policy. But regardless, I had always been under the impression that their population was growing significantly faster than that of other countries. (And of course, it is - but only in absolute, not relative, terms)

rhd

I don't know what the solution is, but there must be a way to keep stupid crap responses like this filtered out? It's annoying to get email notifications of reply to a thread you're interested in, only to find out it's some jerkoff spammer with 4 posts, all of which ask us if we've seen some new generic Chinese gadget site.

As a fairly new member, I appreciate the fact that limitations placed on new accounts would be annoying, and a barrier to entry for those genuinely interested. At the same time, there's got to be a solution.

Permaban China ?

A captcha on user creation would weed out most of it, since that would require a real person actually making the account, and not just a bot.

*edit* nevermind. just checked and there is a form of a captcha when you create a user. Though it's not image based so its theoretically possible for some of the more intelligent spambots to get past it.

Last edited:

jakeGT

hey how much you spend on flashlight?

hahaha im joking!
that is getting old tho...... how much you spend on flashlight? ban member, how much you spend on flashlight? ban member again... and on and on and on...

rhd

I think these are real people.

Remember, labour is cheap in China, and you could probably spam every forum dealing with lasers or flashlights in under an hour.

rhd

On that note - actually, pretty much entirely unrelated to that note.

Here's a randomly awesome project for anyone who wants a brief change of pace from lasers.

$5 - MXDL single CR123 Flashlight
DealExtreme: $5.80 MXDL 3W Flashlight Milky White

$9 - XML Emitter
http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11130

Trash the MXDL's factory driver. Pop in the XM-L emitter. Direct drive it.

15 minutes, and $15 later, you have an unreasonably bright flashlight that will surely burn itself out sometime soon, but will impress everyone in a square mile in the meantime.

This thing is brighter than a 2x18650 SSC P7 flashlight. Stands to reason. XM-L emitters can take up to 3A. A single CR123 won't exceed that. Clearly, this tiny thing has no heatsinking ability, and my emitter won't live long. But holy crap, holding this much light in your palm is amazing.

Total side track.
You may all return to the spamming now :)

rhd

Tikilaser:
Or I could go the other direction, and use high current LifePo4 cells that would burn this LED even brighter (and faster!) :)

Seriously though, part of the appeal of this project was its simplicity. For $15 this is brighter than any ~$50 flashlight I own.

This started as a lark. A silly 10 minute diversion while my soldering iron happened to still be hot. Honestly though, I've actually started using this flashlight - largely out of the intrigue of wanting to know when it would burn out! But it hasn't! I've been direct driving this LED for a while now.... no end in sight yet!

jib77

I know this flashlight, hes my friend yo. Do be calling his price strange. Daaaaamn.
Punk a** spammers. :rolleyes:

Can anyone that owns this flashlight tell me what the internal diameter is? Contemplating grabbing one.