Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

computer mice recommendations?

Well that mouse is definitely an old one. I had one of those from the early 2000s and have gone through multiple mice since. I didn't notice any problems with that particular mouse at the time, but the sensor is quite old and DPIs of newer mice are far better.

You might consider the G500 or other Logitech mice; they employ better sensors. Many, like this G500, even have buttons to increase or decrease sensitivity on the fly (I saw this feature on a Dell mouse too).

Unfortunately, my mouse started developing an intermittent clicking problem a year or two later after I got it. Fortunately, Logitech sent me a replacement after I contacted them about it.

Also consider getting a different mouse mat, preferably a hard one, so that your mouse glides more easily over the surface and doesn't require as much work from your hand. The newer mice have teflon pads which aids in this quite a bit, but you should also have a pad that helps too. I use a Razer eXactMat X Control, but they don't make it anymore. One thing nice about it is that the surface hasn't worn down over time which happened with one of my former plastic mats.

Yeah, I have that problem all the time. ;)

Not to mention that mouse attracts a lot of attention. I was at some workshop, and the presenter stopped his presentation to inspect that Cyborg mouse some guy had in the first row.

"What the hell is... you mind if I look at this?" Then he shows the class.

Now that I think about it, that was my first encounter with that mouse.
Amazon.com: Razer Vespula Dual-Sided Gaming Mouse Mat (Dark Grey): Electronics this looks similar to the one you mentioned... i think ill grab it.

yeah the cyborg mouse looks like a f:)cking plane :p and i like how it is so adjustable considering everyone has different size hands. but the g500 you mentioned is about half the price :tinfoil: . so it looks like one way or the other i will need a faster mouse.

ryan thanks i have been eyeing that mouse for a few days now thanks for your opinion :D

swkaise yeah the only buttons i ever use are for back and forward while browsing so i guess either would work fine for me

Yeah, that pad looks pretty good. My personal preference would be the Manticor Razer mat, because of the metal surface to prevent it from ever wearing down. It probably won't be an issue for you with that one. I also ended up getting rid of the wrist pad because it interfered with moving from keyboard to mouse and I don't like my hand angled downwards to grip the mouse. Find out what works for you.

On your mouse you might get used to having more buttons. For example, I've got the horizontal scroll buttons on the wheel (tilt it left or right) set for back and forward because I rarely bother with horizontal scrolling. Then my buttons 4 and 5 (side buttons) get assigned to F5 (refresh), and minimize in case I want to refresh the website, or minimize the current window. The button 6 is left as the middle mouse button for apps that use it (CAD apps, games, etc.). I don't use the scroll-wheel button because it usually affects the scrolling.

For your games, you can have special profiles set up for them. I'm not sure what shortcuts you might have for Mindcraft, but it might help with that.

The G500 also has a convenient toggling free-spinning wheel. At first I thought it'd be gimmicky but it's actually quite nice, and beats the scroll buttons that many Logitech mice had before.

The cord is stiff so I never use it. I've got a bunch of Duracell rechargeable batteries so I just swap dead ones for fresh charged ones and recharge the dead one's
I'll have to give that a shot. I used to have the g7 with the battery packs and it was very fast switching those batteries but still sucked when they died while gaming. The g7 startes double clicking and that's annoying. I have the g15 v1 and I decided to go mechanical. I picked up a razor blackwidow on newegg for 53$ free shipping. I don't really like razor but that's cheaper than anything else I would have bought. Keyboard arrives Monday.

I've got a R.A.T. 7 and i love it. No complaints, put the pinky rest on it and now its smooth sailing. :)

I was also debating the rat mmo. I liked the idea of the directional thumb button but the price wasn't right for me. The rat mice look like torture devices but are extremely comfortable after you adjust it to your liking.

i ended up ordering the g500, the mionix propus pad (because the vespula looks to scratch easy) and small wrist pad to see if i like it. thanks everyone for the advice !

i ended up ordering the g500, the mionix propus pad (because the vespula looks to scratch easy) and small wrist pad to see if i like it. thanks everyone for the advice !

Ahhhh Good choise!

I was about to make this as a choise for you, but you allready ordered it wich is fine with me :)

I love mine aswell, and gave one to my family aswell.
I think it's the oldest piece of hardware on my pc as of now, and it's still going strong!

I love the way it uses these tiny weights, so you can adjust it to your needs.
The paint never come's off, scroll wheel is just like new.
I think i have this one more then 2 years now.

My previous mouse was also a Microsoft inteli mouse.
It was good, but there must have bin a reason why i changed it to this G500.
Don't know what it was anymore.

I use my Logitech G500 with this mousepad.
It has a gel substains wrisk thingy, and can be taken off from the actuall mousepad.
It's a thin mat that you place under it with on the end the gell cushion.

exactmat.jpg

The eXactMat has been discontinued by Razer for quite some time, but I believe the eXactMat lives on in its new form – the Razer Vespula.

*I like the eXactmat more then the Vespula sinds the core of the Exactmat is not made of plastic, so it doesn't bend with minor preasure.

Happy browsing :)

Cheers, SM.

Last edited:
awesome it seems everyone is recommending the g500 :D

i was about to buy the vespula but then i read the reviews about how the exact mat was fantastic but the new vespula is plastic and scratches easy etc :/ so i opted out.

:beer:

Benm

Personally i prefer a normal sized, wired, optical mouse with a scrollwheel. Beyond that it doesn't really matter to me much, though i usually get bottom end logitech once since they last pretty long for their price. Some aftermarket teflon feet help reduce surface resistance a lot, but thats prevents wearing the desk down more than anything else.

Ergonomically shaped mice are imo overrated. They may look interesting and give the impression of being helpful, but they don't really change how you work with a mouse and what stresses that puts on your arm.

The only thing i would try to prevent is using a very small mouse (like the ones people carry with laptops) for a long period of time, since you have to bend your fingers quite a bit to press the buttons.

got my new goodies today

i can totally understand what bionic is talking about now. i can move the mouse without using my wrist and being able to adjust the dpi on the mouse is super handy as well. I never knew a mouse pad could be special :eek: either but it is more responsive even with the old mouse. hopefully this helps.

thanks everyone for the tips and recommendations

IsaacT

Two words: Razer Naga

I freaking love that mouse. I too have done many many many 8+ hour gaming sessions and have never had an issue. Make sure your chair is at the correct height as well.

Isaac

Two words: Razer Naga

I freaking love that mouse. I too have done many many many 8+ hour gaming sessions and have never had an issue. Make sure your chair is at the correct height as well.

Isaac

i just read about chair height over 90 angle on your elbow apparently. i learn something new every day :beer:

IsaacT

If your wrist isn't in a good alignment with your hand and arm, it causes the tendons going through your carpals to scrape on the bone. In my head I picture it like a rope being pulled back and forth across the edge of a piece of wood. The rope will begin to fray and cause problems for whatever it is lifting/pulling/adjusting.

If your wrist isn't in a good alignment with your hand and arm, it causes the tendons going through your carpals to scrape on the bone. In my head I picture it like a rope being pulled back and forth across the edge of a piece of wood. The rope will begin to fray and cause problems for whatever it is lifting/pulling/adjusting.

that makes a lot of sense actually. thank you very much it helped me visualize it way better :). +beer

I use my Logitech G500 with this mousepad.
It has a gel substains wrisk thingy, and can be taken off from the actuall mousepad.
It's a thin mat that you place under it with on the end the gell cushion.

The eXactMat has been discontinued by Razer for quite some time, but I believe the eXactMat lives on in its new form – the Razer Vespula.

Nice! I've got that exact same setup and it works great. My only complaint is that sometimes the aluminum causes my hand to get cold.

It's too bad that eXactMat was discontinued, but I don't think I'll have to replace it for a long time. I'd probably get the Razer Manticor as a replacement because it's made of solid aluminum. I had a plastic X-ray Thunder 9 mat that started to warp over time because I had a heating pad under it, so I'm sort of partial to metal mats now.

Very nice, glad you got the g500, and a mat.

Actually last few days I noticed my wrist joint hurting somewhat... in my case it's just terrible posture/positioning.

Very nice, glad you got the g500, and a mat.

Actually last few days I noticed my wrist joint hurting somewhat... in my case it's just terrible posture/positioning.

be careful for me there was no progression of pain it went from slightly hurting to my hand going completely numb. at first i thought i had been playing too much minecraft so i laid of it. but it kept getting worse. its pretty bad and while the mouse and pad are helping i might have to go see a doctor soon.

i watched this video today and it helps explain carpal tunnel well Carpal tunnel syndrome - YouTube

any good links for how to adjust posture? Like, I've got a fancy "ergonomic" chair, but I know I'm not sitting in it right, because the front of the desk rests on my stomach and I'm pretty much resting my chin on my chest, recliner style. Also, I don't understand your comment about chair height and the 90 degree elbow angle. So, I'm supposed to be at a height where my elbow IS greater than 90 degrees? And my wrist, if anything, should bend what, downwards towards the mouse to keep my tendons from scratching on my bones?